how do you protect your Mesa Boogie 4x12 cab?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyc4

Reaction score
Do you put it inside an ATA case or do you load it in the truck completely naked?

I want something to protect my 4x12 when traveling, but an ATA case is just too heavy!

I don't tour and I just want something to take it over to my friend's house.

By the way, when new in the box, do Mesa Boogie 4x12 cabs come with casters on or off?

barneyc4 said:
Do you put it inside an ATA case or do you load it in the truck completely naked?

I want something to protect my 4x12 when traveling, but an ATA case is just too heavy!

By the way, when new in the box, do Mesa Boogie 4x12 cabs come with casters on or off?

Go to www.studioslips.com . I seem to remember when they ship them they put the casters in a padded envelope inside the box with the cab .

If you're not touring, you can get a canvas MESA cover for it (there's one on the bay as we speak) and a piece of thick carpet.
OR you could go go to GC or your local guitar shop and see if they have an extra 4x12 box.
I use to work at GC in Raleigh and no they don't ship the cabs with casters on. They pack those separately. A box may be the way to go.

happy hunting ! 8)

\t/\m/

I used the box that the cab came in and wrapped the entire outside with duct tape, cut out holes for the handles and glued 3/4 foam on the inside, cutting off the bottom so the the amp will roll on it's casters. It works pretty nice, I still have it to use when I get another cab (hopefully within the year 8) ) . The slip cover protects it from getting scratched up, but you still have to be careful about sending something through the front grille, or denting up the sides. I bought a live-in flight case for the one I have now, so it stays in that case, but those are around $500. It protects it way better, but, the duct-taped case was like $65 including all materials, so, I'd say go with what you can afford/need. I'll take some pics of the "tape case" when I go home this weekend and post them here. Here is a couple pics of the flight case. It's from Angstram cases on ebay, great company, good products, just in case anyone is interested.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g201/MesaENGR412/CabinetCase028.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g201/MesaENGR412/CabinetCase030.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g201/MesaENGR412/CabinetCase013.jpg

I did the paint job. It came in just plain black.

-AJH

Barry said:
barneyc4 said:

Go to www.studioslips.com . I seem to remember when they ship them they put the casters in a padded envelope inside the box with the cab .

this isnt Bendinelli's wife company???

The Site said:
History & Reputation
I've been working in the music industry for 25 years starting when I was recruited by Mesa Boogie in 1980 to be their Traffic Manager, taking care of all domestic and overseas shipping. Boogie Chief Tech Michael Bendinelli and I got married a few years later, and by the time I left Boogie to start our family, I added dealer relations, filling small parts orders and receptionist to my job description. I also had a background in bookkeeping, and realized I had all the qualifications needed to run a business.

Gaz

What do you guys think about this case?

http://cgi.ebay.com/TUFFBOX-LIVE-IN...ryZ41403QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

speakercabinetfinished.JPG

Worth it?

What about a thick moving blanket and some velcro straps?

Does anyone know how approximately how much a 4x12 ATA case weighs?

The only reason I might go with the tuffcase above is because the weight of the ATA case meight be too much.

They weigh enough that loaded you want to have 2 guys to lift it. I can carry a 4x12 up or down stairs no problem. I wouldn't try it in a real ATA case. Maybe with a utility dolly I would do it by myself. I can load my 4x12's into the back of my lifted truck. I wouldn't even try with a real ATA case. Don't get me wrong they roll great and protect your stuff but they are heavy.

thats what im thinking.

my head's ata case weighs 40 lbs. I should be expecting a real 4x12 ata case to weigh around 80 lbs...

that would be 180 pounds including the 4x12 cab.

:(

ill break my back

Let get all beat up-it will make you look more like a veteran player. Guys with spanking band new tools look "green behind the ears" :lol:

barneyc4 said:
thats what im thinking.

my head's ata case weighs 40 lbs. I should be expecting a real 4x12 ata case to weigh around 80 lbs...

that would be 180 pounds including the 4x12 cab.

:(

ill break my back

... and your toes when you drop it. Quite possibly even a voice coil or four if you really have it up in the air when it comes down.

barneyc4 said:
Does anyone know how approximately how much a 4x12 ATA case weighs?

The only reason I might go with the tuffcase above is because the weight of the ATA case meight be too much.

I have one but never weighed it . two handles on either end and it takes two people to lift it .

ThunderMonkey said:
how do you protect your Mesa Boogie 4x12 cab?

I was originally going to answer this with:

A pitbull and a shotgun ! :lol:

\t/\m/

That was my original thought but with a rottweiler and a BFG.

I prefer a Magnum Research Desert Eagle .50 Cal. Little bit more portable haha. i can't wait to own that bad boy!

-AJH

Ever held one? You would rather have the shotgun with your arms extended. Mossberg 500's are nice and light and they can be had with pistol grip and sling. You can also find other tactical stuff for it too like a flashlight mount or even laser.

Back