How do you even out the volume jump?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdhupelia

Reaction score
I just got my ED 1x12 yesterday, and I LOVE the Vintage High gain mode, it's exactly what I wanted, the sound of a big Marshall stack but in a simple 1x12 that's easier to setup for gigs, now that my cover band has started playing out. While I don't need an amazing clean for what I play, it doesn't hurt, and I'm fortunate to have both tones all in one.

The problem is, 99% of the time I'm practicing at home. I also have a Mark V, which is for me only, and probably will never leave the house, and with the independent volumes per-channel, I can really play through my entire set list at bedroom volumes, and every channel sounds even.

On my ED, however, I like the Volume knob set at about 3 oclock for the tone I like on the Vintage High channel. But when I switch to Clean, the volume jumps significantly, to the point I can't play it at home because you can hear it two floors up, and I have the Master just barely where the amp starts making sound at all (which is immediately loud). Just like the old Tremoverb and DC-5 amps I briefly owned in the past, this amp is ridiculously loud in true Mesa fashion :)

Any thoughts on how to even out this volume jump, when I'm just playing at bedroom levels? I notice even if I drop the Volume down to Noon, where I still get the gain sound I like, the clean channel is incredibly loud still no matter how much I let up my attack. Many of my songs are "clean during the verses, dirty during the choruses and solos".

My current ideas are:

1. Try an attenuator, but reading the other threads make me think this won't even out the volume jump that much, and I hate spending the $300 for an experiment and then possibly be stuck with an attenuator I don't need.

2. Try the FX Loop out to my POD XT Live, and use the volume pedal there to effectively serve as another "Master Volume", but it doesn't seem like that will even out the differences between channels, just help me bring down the overall amp volume.

Let me know what you think, Happy New Year!

Use your clean level knob on the back of the amp to adjust your clean volume…..here from the manual regarding clean level trim knob

“CLEAN LEVEL
This control provides a “trim” for the output level of the CLEAN Mode Only. It allows you to balance the footswit¬chable level of the CLEAN Mode with the VINTAGE LO and HI Modes when you are using the amplifier at lower MASTER settings in smaller venues such as small clubs or at home.
In these environments, the more dynamic nature of clean sounds comes across as louder than the more compressed overdrive sounds – which might sound bigger and wider – but don’t cut through and reach your ear as fast. If you find the CLEAN Mode is too loud at times - simply set the Front Panel MASTER to the desired playing level for HI and LO and “trim back” the CLEAN to the desired level with the Rear Panel CLEAN LEVEL.
This control is not a Master for the CLEAN Mode in the true sense of the term - as it is wired in parallel with the Front Panel MASTER - and is only capable of reducing the CLEAN Mode’s output level below that set with the MASTER. It cannot boost the volume level of the CLEAN Mode above that of the Front Panel MASTER setting.
To bypass the CLEAN LEVEL “trim” control simply turn the control all the way up to BYPASS and you have removed it from the circuit.
When the CLEAN LEVEL pot is set to TRIM (all the way off) there will still be signal passed according to the setting of the Front Panel MASTER. In other words, the two work in tandem and the Front Panel MASTER is always active. This can be handy if you have your Mode levels set with the two controls… to turn the whole amp up a little - just use the Front Panel MASTER and if the adjustment isn’t too extreme you shouldn’t have to touch the CLEAN LEVEL control. “

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/electraDyne_090805.pdf

Hope this helps
Cheers
Bill

Does the back of your combo look like this:

yhst-75036615416798_2066_2561336-1.gif

If not, you might have purchased a very early production unit that has not yet been updated to current specs. The Clean Level control is just about mandatory if you want to be able to balance the levels of the three channels no matter the position of the volume and master controls. A dealer should not have sold you one that isn't updated. Where did you buy it?

It turns out the used ED 1x12 I bought was one of the first few ones before they added the gain trim and clean level control. I'm going to have to call Mesa on Monday and see what my options are to get this upgraded at minimal or no cost (I'm hoping they'll eat the shipping, but since I don't have the original box, I'm probably screwed) - it turns out I also live 3 blocks from one of their authorized service shops, so a big stroke of luck would be if they'd let that shop do it, but that's highly doubtful.

sdhupelia said:
...a big stroke of luck would be if they'd let that shop do it, but that's highly doubtful.

I think that is exactly what will happen, and at no charge to you!

The mod is a must have. Without it you can forget about controlling the volume jump.

The gain trim is also nice as it allows you to set the gain high for hi/lo while still playing clean without any breakup!

I bought a 1X12 recently from House Of Guitars in Rochester NY and it was one of the 1st to run off the line...NO TRIM!

I took it to my local Mesa repairman who installed the Trim switch (after ordering it of course!) and the problem was fixed for ZERO DOLLARS!

If you bought it from a store you're all set!

btw- 4 months in and I am luvin' the ED more and more every day!

FYI - Mine's in at a shop as well, they're just waiting for the parts from Mesa to arrive any day now, and they'll try to get it turned around for me in time for my gig this Saturday. I'm hoping I get it by Thursday, so I have a couple nights at home to play it with my pedals and practice through my whole setlist, and make sure I'm satisfied with the tone controls.

Just to close the loop on this, in case anyone's curious in the future - my amp did finally come back with the free Mesa upgrade done at my local authorized service tech, and now it's PERFECT. I have the gain trim set to clean, and then I have the knob dialed to around 11 oclock. I haven't tested this at a gig yet, but I set it up with a Hot Plate so I could make sure I liked my settings prior to actually taking it onstage in 3 weeks from now for the first time. I LOVE it.

I was annoyed that a tube went bad while in service, so due to a time crunch I ended up buying a quad of Mesa EL34's from the tech at their inflated price, but I just wanted to be done with it and back to playing.

FYI - I've said it elsewhere and i'll say it again... to me, the Vintage Hi channel running EL34's sounds like a wonderfully modded Marshall stack from the 80's or 90's; THE tone in my head. I sit down to try and learn a new song, and I just start riffing and playing because it's so much fun to listen to.

maybe call mesa about the bad power tube? I think the tech should have been responsible for that bad tube on his watch. Did he give you back the old good tubes? sounds fishy to me, let Mesa know, IMHO.

finally got to demo one today and was wondering the same thing and couldnt figure out why mesa would design such a fabulous sounding amp where you couldnt control the levels between the clean and the gain. Now I know, since the amp they had was from an early run. Fantastic sounding amp... i feel like its a secret amp no one really knows about except guys on this forum because it got burried by all the press on the Mark V. I think this maybe the best clean Randall has ever put out. I had the 2x12 combo going up against a Lonestar (which also sounded amazing), a 67 Fender Super Reverb Blackface and 65 Fender Twin Reverb. Clean for clean the ED was the sweetest to my ears with the Lonestar coming in second... it had been a while since I had played a vintage Fender and the Lonestar but i was floored when the ED blew those fenders out of the water in terms of power and tone.

I think this maybe the best clean Randall has ever put out. I had the 2x12 combo going up against a Lonestar (which also sounded amazing), a 67 Fender Super Reverb Blackface and 65 Fender Twin Reverb. Clean for clean the ED was the sweetest to my ears with the Lonestar coming in second... it had been a while since I had played a vintage Fender and the Lonestar but i was floored when the ED blew those fenders out of the water in terms of power and tone

it gets better- the Low gain mode *IS* the sound many boutique pedal builders try to make happen- and the High Gain mode is so thick and tight it makes the mighty Mark V sound thin....its also the loudest MOFO combo on the face of the earth- my Roadster and Stiletto COULD NOT over power this amp....

And I whole heartedly agree- best clean channel on any amp that I have ever played. Notice how you dont see a whole bunch of guys selling their ED's???......Mesas best kept secret.....

Laskyman said:
I think this maybe the best clean Randall has ever put out. I had the 2x12 combo going up against a Lonestar (which also sounded amazing), a 67 Fender Super Reverb Blackface and 65 Fender Twin Reverb. Clean for clean the ED was the sweetest to my ears with the Lonestar coming in second... it had been a while since I had played a vintage Fender and the Lonestar but i was floored when the ED blew those fenders out of the water in terms of power and tone

it gets better- the Low gain mode *IS* the sound many boutique pedal builders try to make happen- and the High Gain mode is so thick and tight it makes the mighty Mark V sound thin....its also the loudest MOFO combo on the face of the earth- my Roadster and Stiletto COULD NOT over power this amp....

And I whole heartedly agree- best clean channel on any amp that I have ever played. Notice how you dont see a whole bunch of guys selling their ED's???......Mesas best kept secret.....

One thing I'm now wondering is how do you balance a sqeaky clean, tons of headroom clean with a ripping lead with all modes sharing the same settings? I didnt really have to fiddle with any of the eqs but i did have the Master up near 1 oclock and the Volume around 10 to get a fendery clean with tons of headroom and then the Volume around 3 and the Master around 10 for a lush, compressed lead sound. Maybe the answer is that gain trim but right now I'm in the air between an ED and a Lonestar Classic and the Lonestar just seems to have versatility in the controls.

The trim options are what you need to make it happen- there is a little compromise, but not so much that I actually thought about a different amp....no other Mesa does what the ED does, on clean lo or hi gain- this one is special.....I don't miss the Roadster or Stiletto, and I have never had more joy playing guitar. This isn't a "metal" amp, but with a OD808 out front- she can crush.....

Laskyman said:
The trim options are what you need to make it happen- there is a little compromise, but not so much that I actually thought about a different amp....no other Mesa does what the ED does, on clean lo or hi gain- this one is special.....I don't miss the Roadster or Stiletto, and I have never had more joy playing guitar. This isn't a "metal" amp, but with a OD808 out front- she can crush.....

Good to know. If I get the ED it won't be to replace the Roadster, its actually going to be just to add another flavor to the family and will be the amp my bf will be playing in this project we're trying to start up. Most of the stuff i've been writing has been on Channels 1 and 2, using the BB Preamp to boost certain stuff so i figured I would get a Lonestar or DC-10 to compliment those channels, but after playing the ED I think it maybe just what I'm looking for. I'll have to go back to GC tomorrow and see if they have one in the back with the trim knob.

jdurso said:
I'll have to go back to GC tomorrow and see if they have one in the back with the trim knob.

I'm actually surprised at this point there would be anymore out there that don't have the clean level know and gain trim switch installed.

They started installing them in the factory a while ago and the ones already out there were suppose to be either sent back in to get it added or brought to a tech to have it installed.

If you do happen to pick one up without it it is free to have installed by a certified tech

@jdurso:

How close can an AXEFX come to mimicing the Mighty Dyne? There is something so inherently warm and organic about the ED, makes most modeling seem like kissing a girl through a screen door, if you get what I'm sayin- your thoughts?
My guess is the AXEFX is as close as it is gonna get....but just can't do what ED can....

Laskyman said:
@jdurso:

How close can an AXEFX come to mimicing the Mighty Dyne? There is something so inherently warm and organic about the ED, makes most modeling seem like kissing a girl through a screen door, if you get what I'm sayin- your thoughts?
My guess is the AXEFX is as close as it is gonna get....but just can't do what ED can....

Uh to be honest it all depends on how you use the Axe in your setup. I will tell you that paired with a 2:90 power amp you can get it to where you cannot tell the difference between it and the Mark IV through the same cabinet, both in tone and feel.

With that said I haven't spent enough time with the ED to know HOW to dial in the Axe to get it to sound and feel like the ED but I'm confident I could do it. You have to remember the Axe goes super deep in its amp modelling, touching upon things that L6 wish they could model. This goes a long way in getting close to the real thing. On top of that if paired with a FRFR amplifying system like the Atomic FR, you can further model things like the speaker cab and power amp sections.

I'll be honest with you... you tend to forget the Axe is just a computer once you play it enough and learn how to dial it in which much like a Mesa takes time to truly "get". With that said the warmth and oganic mojo you get from the Dyne is in the Axe if you know how to unlock it.

Latest posts

Back