How do I tighten the knobs on my Nomad 55 head?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6002

Reaction score
Yea, I know... stupid question. (...which needs answering) :lol:
Thanks in advance

If they are like the knobs on my Mark IV you don't. They are simple slip on knobs. I wouldn't do anything to tighten them. If you want to remove them to replace them it may be difficult to get them off and you might damage a pot shaft or even the pot itself.

Theres a little screw on the side of every knob.
Some take a little flat screwdriver some take a little allen key.

The tiny allen wrench fit. The knob isn't getting tighter. (What I mean't by "tighter" is more resistant). Any ideas?

Resistant to what? Turning? I don't mean to be rude, but I do not seem to understand what you are saying.

The set screw fixes the knob to the potentiometer shaft. This is the only ajdustment you can make to a knob.

If the shaft wiggles, you may have to tighten the nut that holds the potentiometer to the front panel.

If nut is tight but the shaft still wiggles, you may have to replace the potentiometer itself, shaft and all.

Ditto, if the RESISTANCE TO TURNING the knob (and hence the shaft) is too much or too little, there is a problem with the potentiometer, and it probably needs to be replaced.

Note that the Nomads use somewhat inexpensive potentiometers. These do not hold up well to knob bashing.

One more thought . . . could the knob in question have stripped set-screw threads??

ylo said:
One more thought . . . could the knob in question have stripped set-screw threads??
It's new, I doubt it. By resistance I just mean't that I wanted it to feel more "solid" when I turn it. Like the marshall knobs. (If that makes sense) :?:

Oh you want the knobs to be a little "siffer/harder" to turn when you adjust them. Yeah theres a way to do it be it involves taking the amp apart as well as the al the pots. I don't think you want to do that....
Marshall knobs "tighter"? **** every marshall I have ever used (about 6 of them) have had loose knob tension...way loose.
My old sovtek 100 head had a "firm" kinda knob though.

E_R said:
Oh you want the knobs to be a little "siffer/harder" to turn when you adjust them. Yeah theres a way to do it be it involves taking the amp apart as well as the al the pots. I don't think you want to do that....
Marshall knobs "tighter"? **** every marshall I have ever used (about 6 of them) have had loose knob tension...way loose.
My old sovtek 100 head had a "firm" kinda knob though.
Yea, you're right, I can put up with the knobs how they are now. When I read "taking the amp apart" I immediately thought :shock:

I got you now...

I have some neoprene between the knobs and the chassis of my Mark IV. I have it there so it slows down the pot as you turn it due to a slight drag that creates resistance. However, when you pull something you lose the resistance unless you double it up and leave it pulled. The neoprene in time resets to firmly grab your setting but is still pliable enough to turn with a little resistance to a new setting. Then in time it resets again. The amp was like this when I bought it. I have found that the knobs are really loose when pulled and the neoprene is not doubled. So I tend to leave my knobs pulled and doubled where I like them pulled. Where I have them pushed in it is a single layer. A side benefit to this is that my knobs have absolutely no pot scratchiness. Here in So Cal, if you open your windows you can expect a lot of dust most of the year because it stays pretty dry for the most part. I have to wipe my gear down once in a while but I still have yet to need to clean my pots on my Mark IV. My JCM800 on the other hand got a little scratchy before I could get a head cover for it. I should probably clean the pots and then cover it back up seeing as I am not using it much anymore. BTW my Marshall pots spin pretty fast with very little resistance. I think it is just the internals of a pot that in time wear out thus making them have less resistance and spin freely. Usually when amps are new they are nice and snug. In time, they all get "loose" regardless of who made the amp.

Here's the true story...
First, the pots in the Nomad are fragile (and so are the knobs) if the knobs are bumped. Pots easily get loose. They can be easily fixed by getting to them and crimping the little tabs over the body. Since they are wired to the board, you can remove them from the chassis and swing them up for adjustment, and cleaning. To see if the pot is loose, wiggle the knob sideways. OK, if your pot is not loose, loosen the knob setscrew, make sure there is a plastic washer behind the knob, push the knob against the washer and tighten the setscrew. The washer is a friction device. You can make it as tight as you want if the pot shaft is not too wobbly. Once they are tight against the chassis front, they are not as likely to push in and loosen the pots any more.

Back