How do I get rid of background noise of my amp?...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarGuy503

Reaction score
As most of you know as you turn up your rectifiers background noise is more apparent. Is a noisegate unit what I need to get rid of the noise I speak of? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks....

I'm used to plugging in directly into the amp so please excuse my lack of knowledge here. Any particular brands of units better than others? Thanks.

I have a question about ISP placement. Since the thread originator mentioned he plugs directly into the amp, would you recommend he use the ISP in the loop or in front of the amp?

thanks
Drew

Use quieter preamp valves, and also consider perhaps that you might want to use a power conditioner...

If your getting noise from guitar...like feedback and pickup noise then the ISP is best suited in front of amp. Guitar -> ISP -> Amp
If he's getting amp noise, hiss/hum static noise, then the ISP is best suited in loop. Guitar -> Amp -> Loop send -> ISP -> Loop return

With the ISP G-string, you can get the best of both worlds. Noise killing through front and through loop.

espboogie123 said:
With the ISP G-string, you can get the best of both worlds. Noise killing through front and through loop.

The ISP G-string is not two decimators, one for the guitar and one for the loop. The guitar input on the G-string allows the decimator to track the guitar signal. Here is the info from their website:

The Decimator G String provides a totally independent channel of Decimator noise reduction that can be inserted into a series effects loop or after a preamp section with the advantage of having the Decimator level detectors track the guitar signal directly. With the G String pedal you can set the threshold and no matter what level of noise the Decimator will track perfectly without any side effects.

In theory, the decimator is reacting to the guitar signal and not a distorted or clean signal, which would require readjusting the threshold. I agree that having a decimator for the guitar and one for the loop is really the way to go. That is what I have on my Roadster rig. When I don't have the effects loop engaged, the decimator in the front of the amp takes care of the guitar noise. Also, a decimator in front of the amp will not eliminate noise produced by the preamp. That is why it is good to have one in the loop as well. Of course, ISP already thought of this. They have rack mount version that has guitar tracking, decimator for the front and one for the loop. They also have a stereo version. I use that one with my Recto Rec Preamp and 2:100. The pedals are great, and they do what they say they will do. HTH

I use the MXR Smart Gate and it works great, no tone sucking at all. I put it at the end of my pedal chain (all in front of the amp). The only problem I found is that I must use a very short cable to have it work perfectly, so I just put it on the top of my Rectifier head with a 1-3' cable.

I have the ISP Decimator G String and it works great...all my buddies that hear how quiet my amp is ask me about it and then go buy one haha. Well worth the money and no tone suckage!

+1 for ISP decimator

Place it between guitar and amp and then try the loop. I like it between guitar and amp.

+ 1

Between guitar and amp won't get rid of your distortion noise, but turn to clean channel during songs and you're fine ...

I have the Gstring in my loop. Works great to take the preamp hiss out, only issue is it creates a ground loop Hum. So you can either use ground lifts in you patch cables or you can get a Ground loop Isolator which im using.

I have an ISP Decimator as the last pedal in my signal chain yet I still get some fuzz on my B and C channels using my Dual Rectifier. It works fantastically as a noise gate so I'm guessing it has something to do with my amp itself...

MassiveBoogers said:
I have an ISP Decimator as the last pedal in my signal chain yet I still get some fuzz on my B and C channels using my Dual Rectifier. It works fantastically as a noise gate so I'm guessing it has something to do with my amp itself...

The decimator as the last pedal in the chain before the amp input will not eliminate the high gain hiss from the pre-amp. When I have only the pre-amp input decimator on and I switch to the high gain channels, I still get hiss. You need to put it in the loop to eliminate the high gain hiss. That is the reason I use two with my Roadster. If you have a rack setup, you could get the rack version which gives you two decimators, one for the pre-amp input, and one for the loop. Kills all noise.

Boss NS-2 user over here! Doesn't affect the tone (at least that much) and you can power up a few more pedals... It has a loop where I run the pedals that generate more noise (OD, big muff, etc) and the normal in/out inserts for the time/modulation effects (delay, chorus, etc). I'm planning getting an ISP Decimator (rack) though, but keeping this one in the front also.

I don't know if you are very experienced with your Boogie, or how often you play it. Always run through a check list to make sure that you have factored out any externalities that may be causing the noise. These would be your guitar, instrument cable, pickups, power supply, distance to amp, etc. If you have factored those out, then you can move to checking your amp out. Spend a lot of time playing it, at good volumes, and listen for changes. There are countless websites online telling you how to listen for and determine tube related issues. Most of the time, amp problems are tube related. Next, go to the amp and switch out tubes, while writing and recording your results. It helps to know what each preamp tube socket does as well, as this will help you better locate a potential source of problems.

Recall too that spring reverb, by nature, is noisy. There is little way around it. You will always have slight noise. Some amps and designs are better than others. If you have noise in tubes before the reverb tube, then the noise will be amplified through your reverb too. If your slight noise is a reverb related one, switch out the tube or try a 12at7.

Troubleshooting, while annoying, is helpful. You'll learn a lot about your amp in the long run and will become better adjusted to making any future diagnostics. Also, listen to Quentin Hope on Mesa's Youtube page. He uses a Stiletto and a Lonestar Classic. He uses reverb on the LS, but the Stiletto isn't loaded with 'verb and he gets a good amount of hum with his setup. Most of it is probably from his Strat, but I point this out because of the nature of tube amps. While some are quieter than others, some are a bit more finnicky. These are just the rules of the game. Check out his playing nevertheless. It should give you a good example in determining whether your issues are in the range of normal amp noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmRBK1nXM9o

Listen from 0:30 and on, while he is talking.

By the way, I have a Roadster that is dead quiet. I did have some noise issues, but they were all tube related.

Back