How bad is this?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jak0lantern01

Reaction score
So I left my Rectoverb powered on standby for 24 hours by accident. How does this affect the tubes? I assume it can't be a good thing by any means.

from what i understand about tubes...which is limited and i'm still learning...they are a lot like light bulbs. where eventually, they'll just kind of burn out and you'll have to replace them. i don't think it'll really hurt the amp at all, just shorten the life of the tubes and maybe the fuse.

The only thing powered in the tubes is the heater on standby. The plates where not getting any power. Still Not a good practice to continue.
As far as how it will effect the life of your tubes would be hard to predict.
Usually the plates go before the heaters, or I should say that is what we notice first.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Especially if it was on standby. Might wear out the tubes a little but that's it.

I sorta figured that. I had another round of practice that night and everything seemed to go OK. Just wanted some opinions. Thanks.

*DOPEMAN* said:
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Especially if it was on standby. Might wear out the tubes a little but that's it.

+1. Nothing to worry about.

rabies said:
I left my Crate VC30 tube amp on standby for 1-2 weeks (yeah, I know) and the power tranny died.

Does this mean it would have died after several weeks of normal use too? I wouldn't think that would happen to an amp just from leaving it on. Especially if it's on standby. I don't know all that much about electronics but that just seems weird to me.

just my 2 cents here,, I also own a rectoverb series 2 combo and a few weeks back I accidentaly left the amp on standby for about 20 hours or so. At work I got a call from my wife asking me if I still wanted it on?? Anyways I worried a bit till I got home and fired it up. Everything is perfect and has been for the last few weeks,,,used daily. I believe these amps are made rugged enough to withstand this. It hasnt even crossed my mind again until I read your thread.

Simple...it is obvious, it died because it was a CRATE!!! :p

rabies said:
*DOPEMAN* said:
rabies said:
I left my Crate VC30 tube amp on standby for 1-2 weeks (yeah, I know) and the power tranny died.

Does this mean it would have died after several weeks of normal use too? I wouldn't think that would happen to an amp just from leaving it on. Especially if it's on standby. I don't know all that much about electronics but that just seems weird to me.

Honestly I don't know how long it was in standby before the power tranny died and fuse blew (I say 1 - 2 weeks because it was in an empty room of my house at the time that I basically rarely went in except to practice and I didn't play much back then).

I don't know what kind of QA/QC Mesa does @ Petaluma. So I don't know how long a particular model would last in standby, or if the power tranny dying is abnormal. Maybe Boogiebabies here would know...

oyster said:
Simple...it is obvious, it died because it was a CRATE!!! :p

rabies said:
*DOPEMAN* said:

Honestly I don't know how long it was in standby before the power tranny died and fuse blew (I say 1 - 2 weeks because it was in an empty room of my house at the time that I basically rarely went in except to practice and I didn't play much back then).

I don't know what kind of QA/QC Mesa does @ Petaluma. So I don't know how long a particular model would last in standby, or if the power tranny dying is abnormal. Maybe Boogiebabies here would know...

aw man!! That's what I was thinking but didn't want to say it..

:lol:

Ive had a crate vc-50 since i was in 13 and it hasnt blown a single tube or had a single part break. This amp has literally never been in the shop since i've owned it goes toe to toe with the bad cats and vox's i've had it a/b'd against; thats pretty killer considering that i paid 175 bucks for it and im now 20; in further defense of the crate, my nomad 100 long chassis (which had a flight case and was treated like a queen) saw the amp guys bench at least once every two months.

-dave

Leaving it on in standby for 24 hrs wont hurt anything.Like someone pointed out,the only thing powered in standby is the 6.3v heaters.There is no power to the OT or anything else in the amp,when you think about how many hours you get out of tubes,the 24hrs aint no big deal.To "burn in" new tubes I leave an amp on,not in standby for 24 hrs,no big deal.

Latest posts

Back