HIGH GAIN!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello again,

I, once again, am posting about getting more gain on my Stiletto. If anybody on here has gotten any mods to their Stilettos, please tell me how it sounds now. Also, if anyone has a great knowledge of this amp, or all amps in general, how is a mod done? Is it all soldering? Can other custom shops do mods, or is it only the Hollywood Mesa Store? Will different tube REALLY make a difference? If so, what makes more difference, the power or pre tubes? WOW, I just realized how many questions that was, if anyone, ANYONE, has any input on any of these questions, please post.

Anyone would need to look at the electronic diagram first. Mods are usually done on passive electronic components in any audio circuitry (which guitar amps are after all, audio amplification circuitry). Depending on how high a voltage is used in preamplification stage (anode voltage), what's the rate of voltage amplification (output tubes do the current amplification although it does get more complicated than that), where and how the tone controls are introduced, how the negative feedback circuitry is used, the gain stage characteristics will vary. Many more variables come into place but that's a topic for EE 101.

I'll try and provide some links.

Why not try adding an Overdrive pedal? Maybe a Tubescreamer TS-9 or a Maxon OD-9....check these out...http://www.analogman.com/ts9.htm You might even wanna try the ZW-OD, if you like that kind of tone.

I don't think the Stilletos are designed to be super high gain like the Recto's or Mark II-IV Series. Adding a stomp in front maybe a less expensive and safer option than opening up the amp and messing with it. And if you don't like the sound...bring it back!! :p

JA

yes different tubes can make it sound like two completly different amps. it must be the tubes because ive gotten killer metal tone out of a stilleto. not as much grind as a recto for sure but there should still be plenty of gain on tap.

and if thats not enough trace over at voodoo amp mods can install an added gain knob for something like 50 bucks (give or take) but try tubes first and make sure you tone as close to what you want before you try any modding.

what tubes are you running in it now?

Latest posts

Back