High Gain Amp Switcher - question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lavely

Reaction score
I want to use 4 separate amplifier heads (Marshall Plexi, Fuchs TDS 100, Vox and Fender Bassman) through the same speaker cab. I need to confirm the High Gain Amp Switcher will do what I want - please follow below.

Using the Marshall as an example, I string a GUITAR cord from the Amp Send 1 on the back of the Switcher to the input (where I normally plug in my guitar) on the front of the Marshall. Then I use a SPEAKER cord to go from the output of the Marshall (same output I would send to a speaker cab) to the Amp Return 1 input. Lastly, I use a SPEAKER cord from the Returns Output jack to my 4x12 cab.

Is this all correct? Correct cords & inputs/outputs?

I am confused because the diagram/instructions for the Switcher use the word "Slave" instead of "Output" on the standalone amps shown.

Second, I attach four separate footswitches to jacks 1-4. Then, when I stomp on a switch, the corresponding amp signal will go to the speakers, correct? As others have asked, what happens if I stomp on the switches for both the Marshall and the Vox at the same time? Will both amps go to the 4x12 cab? This could create power handling issues for the cab, so I won't do it, but just wondering.

Thanks for helping a newbie!

Lavely

Won't work. The High Gain amp switcher doesn't have a load. It is set-up for preamps or the slave out of your head. You might be able to talk to mesa about modifying one for ya so that a load is present on the unused heads.

That is what I was afraid of. I am just learning it does not have a load.

Darn!!

Need to find other options...

Lavely

If you can find a way to eliminate one of the heads, this might work for you: http://www.soundsculpture.com/products/headtrip.htm

Also, I know Mesa can modify the amp switcher to have a load so you might want to give them a call. Another alternative is the CAE amp switcher: http://www.customaudioelectronics.com/amp_selectors.htm

Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back