Hi! I'm new here! Have some questions about a Mark amp!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cometfalcon12

Reaction score
Hi!

first of all like to say hi to everyone from little Puerto Rico in the caribbean!
It's awesome to see a forum dedicated to the best amps in the world!

I own the following Mesa/Boogie's:
Single Rectifier Rectoverb Series 2 Head
Dual Rectifier Roadster Head
3/4 Back Road King 4X12 Cabinet
2x12 Closed Back Rectifier Cabinet
Nomad 55 1X12 Combo

I recently got a broken down Mark IIB 1x12 for $300, with a blown speaker.
(at least I think it's a Mark IIB. I researched and it has 60/100 watt switch, Graphic EQ, Reverb, FX Loop, Channel Switching, etc.)

It has the following things wrong with it:
Sliders are broken
When you switch on Graphic EQ, it stops sounding.
Only works in 100 watt mode, if you switch to 60 it stops sounding.
the Lead channel sounds fizzy with no definition.
Missing the Reverb Tank
Missing the pilot light
Knobs have the numbers worn off.

I fixed up the cab really nice.
Nice bit of TuffStuff, a brush and a light damp cloth left the vynil inmaculate.
Sanded the corners and made painted the flat black.
Sanded and painted the Boogie plate.
Put in a nice cane grill clothe got from Mesa.
Put in some new casters.
Finally added a Celestion Vintage 30 Speaker at 8 ohms..

Anyways, I needed to know, I called Mesa and in Puerto Rico there is no dealer or certified Tech.
So I sent it out to them 3 weeks ago. How long do you think it would take? How much damage $$$ wise?
What's been your experience with reparing Mark Series amps? How's the service?

thanks to all for your help! :D

Welcome to the board!

I don't have any first hand expereince sending a amp back to Mesa for a refurb, but I've seen several posting on this board about it. Mesa seems to have very reasonable repair rates with great results. Do a little searching here (use the google advanced search to search within domain "www.grailtone.com". Don't waste your time with the search function at the top if this page).

How long? Well, let's just say Mesa is anyting but fast. I've been waiting 7 weeks for a Mark IV headshell I ordered in September. I called them last week to find out where it was and the said they "might" build it this week or next. :roll:

If you are not in a hurry, I suspect you will be happy with the amp when you get it back. GIven what you have in it so far, If you end up with a fully refurbed Mark IIB for under $1000 you've done well.

GD_NC said:
Welcome to the board!

I don't have any first hand expereince sending a amp back to Mesa for a refurb, but I've seen several posting on this board about it. Mesa seems to have very reasonable repair rates with great results. Do a little searching here (use the google advanced search to search within domain "www.grailtone.com". Don't waste your time with the search function at the top if this page).

How long? Well, let's just say Mesa is anyting but fast. I've been waiting 7 weeks for a Mark IV headshell I ordered in September. I called them last week to find out where it was and the said they "might" build it this week or next. :roll:

If you are not in a hurry, I suspect you will be happy with the amp when you get it back. GIven what you have in it so far, If you end up with a fully refurbed Mark IIB for under $1000 you've done well.

hey thanks!
found a guy who had his whole board fixed for about $450 and good return time.

anyone else had good experiences?

any tips on this particular Mark IIB?

any nice EQ's? :D

I had to send my old Lone Star to Mesa. Although the work was warranty, the turnaround was around three weeks and the work done was perfect. They also called me to say they were shipping the amp out.

Hola, ¡Bienvenido al foro!

Buena compra la del Mark II por $300. Después de leer tu mensaje, parece que tienes algunas fallas de los componentes del amplificador. Por un lado, los enchufes exteriores son activos en el modo de clase A que indica que el tubo o uno de los enchufes están dañados. Funciona en el modo de 100W ya que los dos tubos interiores están prendidos y probablemente funcionan. Nuevos tubos probablemente arreglarán el sonido raro que oyes y también el problema con el modo de 60/100W.

El EQ es una pieza electrónica frágil y es más probable que haya un problema con uno de los componentes en la placa por lo que se corta cuando lo enciendes.

Buen trabajo de arreglar la carcasa, parece que saldrá bien padre cuando se hace todo esto.

En términos de precio, es difícil de decir porque la mayoría de los gastos serán costos laborales. Lo más probable es que van a tardar un porco en arreglarlo. El taller de reparación de Mesa es muy bueno y tendrás un amplificador bien chido cuando te lo devuelven.

Si usted puede encontrar una bocina EVM 12L yo la recomendaría más que la Vintage 30.

Platypus said:
Hola, ¡Bienvenido al foro!

Buena compra la del Mark II por $300. Después de leer tu mensaje, parece que tienes algunas fallas de los componentes del amplificador. Por un lado, los enchufes exteriores son activos en el modo de clase A que indica que el tubo o uno de los enchufes están dañados. Funciona en el modo de 100W ya que los dos tubos interiores están prendidos y probablemente funcionan. Nuevos tubos probablemente arreglarán el sonido raro que oyes y también el problema con el modo de 60/100W.

El EQ es una pieza electrónica frágil y es más probable que haya un problema con uno de los componentes en la placa por lo que se corta cuando lo enciendes.

Buen trabajo de arreglar la carcasa, parece que saldrá bien padre cuando se hace todo esto.

En términos de precio, es difícil de decir porque la mayoría de los gastos serán costos laborales. Lo más probable es que van a tardar un porco en arreglarlo. El taller de reparación de Mesa es muy bueno y tendrás un amplificador bien chido cuando te lo devuelven.

Si usted puede encontrar una bocina EVM 12L yo la recomendaría más que la Vintage 30.

Show off! :lol:

Back