Help with Road King II..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowborn11

Reaction score
I have a Marshall JCM2000 TSL100 head with 4x12 cab, and I'm going to sell it for around $1900. www.musiciansfriend.com (or any other online distributors) have Mesas so I'm thinking of going to Guitar Center since they always give good deals. If I wanted to get the RKII head with 4x12 cab, around how much would it be? Also, I want to get a flight case for at least the head. Which brand is the best? Thanks alot.

Per the pricing thread stuck at the top, it would cost you $3448 plus tax.

Mesa has a strict pricing policy, they won't allow retailers to sell below their set limit.

The Roadking II is a *lot* of amplifier.. not to say you're not talented but it's hardly a neccesity to get great Mesa tone. You can easily get into a different model Rectifier for way less.. take a Dual Rectifier, the same basis for the 3rd and 4th channel on the Road King (though to me it seems less fizzy on the RK).. you can get into that for under $1k most likely used.

What are your needs as a guitarist? What kind of style are you playing? Is this for gigging? Home practice, something inbetween? If you're just looking for something to rock out at home consider a smaller speaker cabinet? The 2x12 mesa makes is great for that purpose.. no need to push all that air in a small area. I understand if you'd need the bigger cab for gigging.

You've got some options here, what do you think is your price cap for how much you'd want to spend and we can try to match you up to your needs.

Platypus said:
The Roadking II is a *lot* of amplifier..

Yepper, that is correct-a-mundo. I kicked & screamed & told my wife that my life would not be complete unless I had a MB RK. Well, she coughed up the $3600 & I got it. I don't take it out gigging or anything, it stays at home for my own private entertainment. This amp is meant for medium to large venues, not for the bedroom. For me, I don't need it for it's bone crushing abilities, I need it for it's infinite tonal spectrum. The RK is like a Ferrari, you don't know what its capable of until you take it on the open road & wind her out. Was it overkill for my purposes, most definitely, a big Yes(I'll never admit this to the wife). Would I buy it again? That's a very big Tug-O-War for me cause I love it to death. It would be much better if I was 30 years younger & still gigging. Actually, I was pretty content with my Mark IV, guess I just bought it to regain my youth. Anyhoo, I've made my bed, but I'm pretty happy. Do what your heart & wallet tells you.

What about a Single Rec or a Rect-o-verb? You might be able to get into one of those for your price range. Ive seen some Dual Recs go for about $1000 on ebay and then you can get a recto cab new for about $900. I ve looked on ebay before for them and sometimes after you end up paying $100 for shipping you might as well of gone to Guitar Center and bought one new. Every once and a while you can find a good deal on a recto 4 x 12 cab out there but its just timing.Single rec heads go for like $1300 new and then the cab new would be $2200. See what is available out there on ebay--you mght find some body that is desperate to sell-- :wink:

Latest posts

Back