Help with my roadking

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overture2005

Reaction score
It's a roadking head. After I play all the channels for 1-2 minutes, then it happened: intermittent noise in every channel, like paper being torn or crumpled. I wonder how I can do?
(3-4 months ago, after I played the channel3 & channel4 for 20-30 minutes, these two channels were barely audible. I had to switch to the channel1 or 2 for playing a few minutes then switched back, it would sound ok. I called mesa company and the local dealer, nothing helps)

Is this a new head or an older model? Is there any chance that it could be a worn or dirty pot? Also, have you tried it with another guitar and cord? There's a small chance that it could be a capacitor going bad. Have you tried taking the head in for repair? If it is under warranty, it sure can't hurt, and even if it's not under warranty, this is going to drive you mad.

Here's a few other things. You don't have your cell phone on and sitting anywhere near the amp, do you? Also, are the metal cans on the pre-amp tubes? (I'd think that a RK would have these, too)

Well, I hope that gives you a couple of things to look at, otherwise, your amp should get checked by a good technician.

Hi Brewski,
Thanks so much for your input. The roadking I have is a new model. It's almost new condition, I use it only in my bedroom. So I think it couldn't be a worn or dirty pot. I tried it with my other guitars, cords, still the same. I just checked the powertubes made them tight and gave a tried out 5 minutes ago, OMG it works so well. Maybe I still need to test for a couple of days to make sure.. if still gets the noise, I'll take it to the local dealer, it's under warranty(but I don't think the local dealer helps, ****. everytime I take my mesa to there, my amp works very well there for the WHOLE day... then I have to take back.). anyways thanks very much Brewski~
Regards!

I know exactly what it is...........

I spoke to Mesa about an "Upgrade" I head about and they said all RK's made before 2005 probably need this upgrade (or fix).

I asked him what the upgrade was for and I was told that the RK has a couple of LDR's inside that when you run channels 3 & 4 for 20 - 45 minutes, those LDR's will over heat and cause a volume drop in the amp. Some times it is a sudden drop, sometimes it is a tremolo effect, and sometimes it just looses gain and sounds almost clean and real thin.

I also asked if I should wait and see if this problem will occur in my amp or go ahead and get it fixed and he said "It will occur eventually" and knowing Murphy's Law, it will happen at the biggest show of the year.

Luckily my RK is still under warranty and I have it scheduled to go in to a local mesa repair guy next week.

As far as the crackeling noise?? That may be related, but it also sounds like a bad preamp tube or guitar cable. Take a pencil and tap the preamp tubes (with the amp on) and see if one is more microphonic than the rest and if it is, I'd change it and see if that helps. My Triple has a bad V1 preamp tube that made it sound like what you described. If you cant tell by tapping on it, get one new tube and do the sawp out/replace trick with each tube until you find the bad one. But if it's related to the first problem, then a new tube wont help.

You amp should be under warranty, even if you arent the original owner if you can get a copy of the reciept you can get it fixed for free.

* Bad news is you'll be without it for a week or so
* Good news is it's a very simple, easy to fix problem and it should be free to fix.

PS, my serial number is 001818 and it left the factory in August of 2004 if this helps determine how old yours is.

My RK head is in Petaluma being upgraded right now. I had a bad experience with my local authorized Mesa repair tech when I took my Mark IV in to be fixed once. I will never take anything to them again.

tele_jas said:
I also asked if I should wait and see if this problem will occur in my amp or go ahead and get it fixed and he said "It will occur eventually" and knowing Murphy's Law, it will happen at the biggest show of the year.

You know you've got to get it fixed, you can't escape that.

Latest posts

Back