Help with mark 3 purple stripe

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cisspcism

Reaction score
Got it used for 750$ sounds great, but mine doesnt have graphic eq. So I am not sure if its from 70's or 80's

My main question is I have a 12 inch EV speaker in it, now the back part of the speaker is rather large and it actually touches a preamp tube, not sure if it was designed this way or if it is because this is an after market speaker. Couold juts be that they try to pack to much stuff in a small combo box. Anyway did mesas ever use EV speakers and should I be concerned one of the preamp tubes touches the back of the speaker?

gts said:
Pretty sure Mark III production started in early to mid '85 (so yours was not made in the 70's).

I have the same amp in a combo with EV. The EV does not touch anything but does come close.
I am guessing you may have an EV that has the heat sink on it.
Post a pic it'd be easier to see what's going on with yours.

In general Mesa packs a lot of stuff in a small space with these amps (and others) whether in a combo or headshell.
Again Post a pic.

I cant post a pic, I have the amp at betterbuiltshops and they are recovering it with purple tolex and putting on wicker grill for me. They make all of the cabs for victoria. The whole thing is only 225

But I think I may have the heat sinks. Can I just swap out the speaker with a eminence tonker or will I need to change the baffel? Couldnt really tell if it was front or rear loaded, kinda looked like it was mounted in between the baffel.

Any cool amp and is very quiet on lead channel, not my ideal lead tone but a different sounding amp for different type tones

You can just swap - but be sure to plug the speaker into the appropriate speaker jack. That is - correct impedance.

PS - It's front-loaded.

gts said:
Pretty sure Mark III production started in early to mid '85 (so yours was not made in the 70's).

I have the same amp in a combo with EV. The EV does not touch anything but does come close.
I am guessing you may have an EV that has the heat sink on it.
Post a pic it'd be easier to see what's going on with yours.

In general Mesa packs a lot of stuff in a small space with these amps (and others) whether in a combo or headshell.
Again Post a pic.

it sounds like your speaker may be mounted incorrectly. i suggest you LISTEN to it for a little while before you start a speaker swapping expedition. if it has a EV or Eminence speaker it's going to sound pretty nice.

rvschulz said:
it sounds like your speaker may be mounted incorrectly. i suggest you LISTEN to it for a little while before you start a speaker swapping expedition. if it has a EV or Eminence speaker it's going to sound pretty nice.

Its sounds fine, and its going to be taken apart since they are recovering it so if it was mounted incorrectly hopefully they will put in back right.

I never heard any issue with the amp , not even when played loud so to my ears the preamp tube (and I am talking about just the tip of the tube, the little nipple part if the tube at the top) tocuhing the speaker frame isnt causing any issue. I just though it was weird it was that close

cisspcism said:
I cant post a pic, I have the amp at betterbuiltshops and they are recovering it with purple tolex and putting on wicker grill for me. They make all of the cabs for victoria. The whole thing is only 225

$225 for retolex/grill? Can you pm me the address/number of this place? I live in the Chicagoland area, and would like to do the same to my Mark IIB combo.

Ultron said:
cisspcism said:

$225 for retolex/grill? Can you pm me the address/number of this place? I live in the Chicagoland area, and would like to do the same to my Mark IIB combo.

They will make custom head cabs and combo cabs also

http://www.betterbuiltworkshops.com

Better Built Workshops, Ltd.
532 West 5th Avenue
Naperville, IL. 60563
Telephone & Fax:
(630) 305-0754

You can E-mail us at:
[email protected]

cisspcism said:
Got it used for 750$ sounds great, but mine doesnt have graphic eq. So I am not sure if its from 70's or 80's

My main question is I have a 12 inch EV speaker in it, now the back part of the speaker is rather large and it actually touches a preamp tube, not sure if it was designed this way or if it is because this is an after market speaker. Couold juts be that they try to pack to much stuff in a small combo box. Anyway did mesas ever use EV speakers and should I be concerned one of the preamp tubes touches the back of the speaker?

Re-clock your speaker is my suggestion. And it is the answer I bet as well.

Camsna :lol:. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm guessing what gig4fun meant was to rotate the speaker. Though I'm not sure how that would solve the problem.

trem said:
Camsna :lol:. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm guessing what gig4fun meant was to rotate the speaker. Though I'm not sure how that would solve the problem.
that is what I meant guys. I had a Mark that needed the speaker rotated one hole around the board to miss a rib/pre-amp tube conflict with a evm12L. The wood speaker panel had another set of holes in it from a different speaker that were rotated enough to help me out. You MAY need to drill another set of holes in your panel if you have the problem I think you do. I won't know until i see a picture.

To the OP ... Can you post a picture please?

gts said:
GIG4FUN said:
Re-clock your speaker is my suggestion.

What's re-clocking?

Used in the auto world in reference to alternators I suppose the most frequently. Sometimes the case is split and while keeping the guts contained (brushes etc.) the two haves are aligned to a different position (say 120 ° for instance) and then that alternator hot wire mounting point may then miss a supercharger or offending item.

Drilling another set of holes in the board would rotate it in this case.

Back