Help with broken Mesa 50/50 Poweamp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZebCahan

Reaction score
Hello,
A few days ago I bought a Mesa 50/50 Poweramp (The old version).
I took to a gig my band had just a day later after purchase, so I had just tried it out. (I bought it unseen).
I was kinda stressed out because we were running late and during soundcheck the speakercable popped out in the back which resulted in no sound. So I started tweaking the volume up and down. (Yes im a fool, I should have checked the cables first, but as I said I was stressed out and tired) and suddenly there were this "bzzzzzzz"-sound coming from the amp and it started to smell burnt.
I disconnected everything and borrowed a amp for the gig instead.
When I came home I changed the fuse and tried to power it up.
The fuse burned up ímmidietly when I switched over from standby.
Tried putting in a new fuse and just looked if the tubes were lightning up.
3 of 4 seemed ok, but the fourth were black.
I took that one out and tried again.
I came to the conclusion that 3 out of 4 tubes were f*up.
I opened it up and found that both Resistors R101 and R102 had burned up.
I desoldered the black stumps that were left of the resistors and cleaned
the board.
What I can see there are no evident damage to the traces or any other components that I can see. The board is a little bit black though, just were the resistors were.
I can get sound from the poweramp (both sides) using the only tube that didnt go, without the resistors.
So im guessing that the OT´s are ok? with them broken I wouldnt get any sound at all, right?
I have ordered new resistors to solder in but how can it work without them?
What does the R101 and R102 resistors do?

Heres a link to the schematic:
http://www.schematicheaven.com/boogieamps/boogie_5050.pdf

They are on the second page.

R101 and 102 are for the power tube filaments IIRC. I had the same problem with a 50/50 that i had bought off ebay. Maybe the seller knew maybe he didn't but it was an easy fix by replacing those two resistors.

I suggest buying all 4 new tubes, replacing the resistors, and trying again. I do not recommend using the amp under any circumstances until you completely repair it.

Your tranny's are all fine unless you had plumes of smoke pouring out and a rancid smell coming from the amp.

Greg

Thanks for the reply!
Now I feel a little calmer.

Yes Im going to replace all the tubes at once, I have already ordered them.
And I wont play it until I have it fixed.

Do you know if there is a wasy way to turn the pcb so that I can solder from the other side?
Or do I have to remove every single cable thats soldered to the board?
How would you do it?

Oh, by the way,
When you said that the resistors were for the tube filaments, did you mean that they are screen resistors? Or is that something else?

Latest posts

Back