Help with big decision- amps........

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btdvox

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am looking for a new amp, thing is, well kinda complicated, now I had a triple rec with a trad. slant cab (4X12) about 6 months ago, I owned it for about a good 2 and a half years, I used to play alot of screamo/metal/rock, Whatever you wanna call the genre my old band use to play, problem is i grew out of it and am now playing much more indie type stuff, more acoustic more than anything.

I ended up selling the amp and buying a really nice synth, but now i wanna get back into my electric guitar and have to buy a setup soon, I have already decieded on a Guitar-

Im almost certain im gonna pick up a Fender American deluxe HSS guitar, fits my pricepoint and sounds pretty rad on a couple of setups ive played it thru. I really want a PRS but its wayy over my budget if if i wanna get a good amp.

So thing is i though bout getting a Recto but then really didnt because i have already went down that path and dont really want that sound, the road king soudns very versatile but its kinda pricey and it still has that low recto sound that my triple had ( I tried one out at L &M- it was Series 1 im guessing)-

The lonestar classic sounded really nice it had great tonality, and amazing clean, but it didnt push out to much crunch till i turned the treble up to like 3 o clock. and evne then i didnt realy get a overpowering Disto. is there anyway to get this? I dont want to get a LSS because im really a more headroom type of guy there fore 6l6's are best. any suggestions...

Sorry for my long boring story haha

Are you looking for new or used? The new Roadster might be a good choice. It is much like the Road King without the progressive linkage. If you're looking at used, you might look at one of the Marks or even a Road King.

You didn't say what you're budget was, so that was tipped toward the high end. You might also want to look into an F-30,F-50 or even F-100. New or used that might fit what you're looking for on the lower side.

I play in a cover band and some artist/acts my band covers are:

* Current stuff: Creed, Puddle of Mudd, Incubus, Maroon 5, Greenday, Life House
* 90s stuff: more Greenday, Hootie and the Blowfish, Matchbox 20, Bush, Radio Head
* 80s stuff: Bon Jovi, Poison, Warrent, SRV, Rober Palmer, Cheap Trick, Fire House

* and Country stuff: Keith Urban, Brad Paisley, Tim McGraw, Garth Brooks, Johnny Cash

My Road King with a Tubescreamer can cover all of that with no problems and sound FANTASTIC.

But if you're looking for something a little different than a recto, the F-50 or Mark IV are both very different from a Recto, they have very good cleans and can both rock pretty hard. The Mark IV is more versatile than the F-50, but the F-50 is cheaper and still sounds pretty dang good. How about the Lonestar with a Tubescreamer?

Thats my $.02 worth

for your description, definitely check out both an F-30 and F-50!!! let us know how it goes!

Hell...just get them all cause they're all great amps! Each Mesa has it's own personality! :) Try them out and see what you like. I ended up with a MKIV and I almost wet myself every time I turn it on and hit a note....!!!! And don't let people scare you off that it is to complicated... it's not... just takes time and the versatility is worth it. Weak reverb but that is all that is weak on the MKIV

haha well i dont really wanna get a roadster- a) cause its kinda weird but ill feel like getting a dumbed down version of a great amp and i wont settle with taht, and the Roadking still its a great amp but its very close to the triple, and expensive , price isnt a huge factor but it still counts but moreover the fact.
The F Series arent a huge buzz for me though,
the Mark IV is very tempting has some great metallic sounds, but then i think im getting to heavy? ive been playing acoustic for about a year now, can you get really good disto sounds if i added a nice disto pedal with the Lonestar? I really loved the cleans on it but im just worried that later on i wont be able tog et a really nice disto sound, though it did pump out a really nice crunch- lots of people are saying lonestar with a tubescreamer? which one , i heard the ibanez remodled there classic. any advice on getting a disto pedal?

Tremoverb.

The cleans should cover all the indie stuff you're looking to do, particularily with a Fat Strat at your disposal, and the dirt will get you to where you want to go. Just remember, you don't NEED to dime the gain and scoop the mids.....you can get a very grinding indie tone with the gain/bass lowered and the mids/treble boosted.

Plus, if you've grown used to a Rectifier using a pedal for your main dirt tone probably won't float your boat.

Or, you could always get a Fender Twin and a Proco Rat.

The LSC is one of the classiest sounding amps I've ever heard. I played a DR.Z with a sans amp and a PRS once that was wonderful and about the only other setup that I thought matched the clean-dirty combination you can get with an LSC and stomp box (it may have actually been better 8). When I bought my Recto, the other choice was a lonestar, but I passed on it only because I also needed a guitar and was able to save $700 by getting a used rectoverb(which I love).
Note - I've never played a Road King so no offense intended!!

btdvox said:
haha well i dont really wanna get a roadster- a) cause its kinda weird but ill feel like getting a dumbed down version of a great amp and i wont settle with taht, and the Roadking still its a great amp but its very close to the triple, and expensive , price isnt a huge factor but it still counts but moreover the fact.
The F Series arent a huge buzz for me though,
the Mark IV is very tempting has some great metallic sounds, but then i think im getting to heavy? ive been playing acoustic for about a year now, can you get really good disto sounds if i added a nice disto pedal with the Lonestar? I really loved the cleans on it but im just worried that later on i wont be able tog et a really nice disto sound, though it did pump out a really nice crunch- lots of people are saying lonestar with a tubescreamer? which one , i heard the ibanez remodled there classic. any advice on getting a disto pedal?

btdvox said:
Hi guys, I am looking for a new amp ... but it didnt push out to much crunch till i turned the treble up to like 3 o clock. and evne then i didnt realy get a overpowering Disto. is there anyway to get this? I dont want to get a LSS because im really a more headroom type of guy there fore 6l6's are best. any suggestions...

Sorry for my long boring story haha

Don't overlook the Nomad 55's and 100's (particularly 2x12 or 4x10's)they really cover the field and at a **** fine price too. They aren't that complicated (as is sometimes implied) and have a unique sound for each of the three channels even though each channel is covering familiar sonic territory.

i liked the tremo verb alot, my ex guitarist had one, but i thikn the choices for me have gone down to the Road King and the Lonestar Classic, I went to the music store today and played the road king i dno if it was series 1 or 2? ( i dno if 2 has come out yet) and lonestar classic and special

To my ears, the Lonestar special had a nice clean but very crisp and high sounds, and the disto werent to my likings, The clean at onepoint was to die for but i had to ring the treble down to almost 10 O clock

The Road king was great, lots of features, tons of options, really cluttered though but any mesa is haha, the sounds were good, i liked the disto on it- it had that recto sound, but the cleans sounded very alike to my triple, i remember it throughly and it kinda turned me off, but still was a very versatile amp, also very expensive, maybe series 2 would be very nice, i might get it, 4 channels was awesome but all in all, it was kinda SO Much at once kinda deal. which kinda turns me off but it was ok cause it had 4 channels to switch to,

The lonestar Classic was a hit, the cleans were amazing, it had quite a bit of headroom with just 2X12, and i pumped alittle more disto into turning the treble up and the drive on, and then switching the S-1 button on the strat, i liekd it- it def was nothing like a recto sound, but it was different, ---Maybe ive grown use to the recto sound, lol yeah I think thats it.

Back