HELP!!! SWITCHING WITH MIDI AND RELAYS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick_cor

Reaction score
Hey, I have 2 mark heads that I use , and i was wondering

1. if i bought a studio pre - could I send it to the poweramp section of my mark heads? to totally bypass the preamp section.

2. is there a device that I could run my guitar into that sends it out to the three inputs and lets me choose between the three of them, or layer them and configure which amps i want to use through a midi pedal ( so it has to be midi )

3. If the studio pre COULD be ran through the mark series head , bypassing the preamp to the poweramp.. i'm guessing to run it through the effects loop, but how would i run that specific mark head through my effects processor? would i need some sort of mixer/looper?

so, right now I have 1 rhythm and 1 lead from each head, but as soon as i get this "unknown" switcher then I'll use one head as a clean, the other as rhythm, that is, until i get the studio preamp, then i'll be able to get one clean, one rhythm and one lead, but that's if the studio pre works the way i'm hoping it would.

any help would be greatly appreciated

PS: i'm pretty much broke right now, and I know of some devices like sound sculture that are like 1G , but im looking for somethign less that that, alot less actually, thanks[/b]

There are options for what you describe. I run 2 Mark IV heads, in stereo and have effects. I use a Lehle Dual amp switcher, www.lehle.com. It has 2 outputs and a tuner out. There is also a Framptone 3 Banger, check Keeley's website http://www.robertkeeley.com/home.php, it has 3 outputs and a tuner out. Both work well, I have tried them.

Then, you need to decide how you want to run the effects, mono, stereo, wet/dry/wet, etc...what I mean is, you gotta to decide on an cab config as well. Anyway, both of those switches can be had for well under $500 each and can get you some of the way there. I suggest mapping out your rig on paper and then seeing what you really need to make it work. Hope this helps.

WillPlayForFood said:
There are options for what you describe. I run 2 Mark IV heads, in stereo and have effects. I use a Lehle Dual amp switcher, www.lehle.com. It has 2 outputs and a tuner out. There is also a Framptone 3 Banger, check Keeley's website http://www.robertkeeley.com/home.php, it has 3 outputs and a tuner out. Both work well, I have tried them.

Then, you need to decide how you want to run the effects, mono, stereo, wet/dry/wet, etc...what I mean is, you gotta to decide on an cab config as well. Anyway, both of those switches can be had for well under $500 each and can get you some of the way there. I suggest mapping out your rig on paper and then seeing what you really need to make it work. Hope this helps.

hey thanks alot, really appreciate it, about the lehle, i've been looking at those for a long time, but it seems like it can only switch between 2 amps... you know.. they should make a rack device that can switch between 4 amps , and layer them for true stereo.. i mean, imagine if the mark IIC+ was stereo.. how the hell can I get stereo effects on it? anyways , does anyone else know about the studio pre and bypassing the preamp section of the head? THANKS

Boltino said:
Check out the DMC GCX.

http://www.voodoolab.com/gcx.htm

hey, with this looper , could i switch between 8 different devices? i've looked at this before but never really understood it.. could you shed some light? I don't mind losing the layering feature if i coudl switch between my possible 2 heads + 1 preamp and be able to add effects and all that... ARgh so confused.

Nick_cor said:
Hey, I have 2 mark heads that I use , and i was wondering

1. if i bought a studio pre - could I send it to the poweramp section of my mark heads? to totally bypass the preamp section.

Yup. Studio output into the Mark FX return.

2. is there a device that I could run my guitar into that sends it out to the three inputs and lets me choose between the three of them, or layer them and configure which amps i want to use through a midi pedal ( so it has to be midi )

Yup, as mentioned above, the GCX is a good solution. There are other similar units too. You will need two cabinets though. 1 for the mark and studio setup and another for the second mark.

3. If the studio pre COULD be ran through the mark series head , bypassing the preamp to the poweramp.. i'm guessing to run it through the effects loop, but how would i run that specific mark head through my effects processor? would i need some sort of mixer/looper?

Not totally sure how you would deal with trying to use fx with that mark along with running the studio into it. Lemme think about that one cuz I have been meaning to figure out a similar situation in my rig.

Nick_cor said:
Boltino said:
Check out the DMC GCX.

http://www.voodoolab.com/gcx.htm

hey, with this looper , could i switch between 8 different devices? i've looked at this before but never really understood it.. could you shed some light? I don't mind losing the layering feature if i coudl switch between my possible 2 heads + 1 preamp and be able to add effects and all that... ARgh so confused.

You can switch between or combine 8 different units as well as control function switching. I run several preamps, heads, and fx into mine and it's great!

so with one GCX I could feed 3 inputs and choose which one I want, and I coudl choose which amp gets the FXs, I'm pretty much **** out of luck for effects on my studio/mark setup.. i have a stereo cab.. but im not sure if that will work! garr

Yeah, technically you could use up to 8 different amps, 1 in each loop. I usually run two heads (racktifier and jc120) and a few preamps: studio, quad, rm4, and maybe the mp1.

i think this rig is just not working out , becuase i'd have to get another cabinet, and even then, i wouldn't be able to have effects on my clean and lead channels beacuase my studio pre is for cleans which is going into the effects loop of my mark IIC+ which is being used for leads, and even then i'd need another cabinet to play both of them,

Does anyone know if theres a rack or stompbox unit that takes all my power outputs and allows me to choose which one I want to use, so i could use 1 cabinet and have 3 different heads, [/quote]

Nick_cor said:

I hope I understand the question but I would think that you could use the fx loop in the studio pre to run your effects. This would then be part of the output of the studio pre into the Mark head. Hope this helps.

Gary

Blueracer said:
Nick_cor said:

I hope I understand the question but I would think that you could use the fx loop in the studio pre to run your effects. This would then be part of the output of the studio pre into the Mark head. Hope this helps.

Gary

hmm! never thought about it like that, i know a guy who has a simliar setup to me and we've been working on it for the past couple hours, i'll let him know! a new problem has arised... the amount of cabinets.. i only have one.. and I'ld like to keep it that way, so now i need some form of head switcher... i have a stereo cab, but that doesnt' really solve anything! I would like to have my mark III for rhythm be played through my genz benz, and the mark IIC+ through the genz benz as well.. the studio pre will be in the power section of one of these heads, probably the III - so yeah, we're workign on it. 4nakm - great guy to work with, he shoudl be a custom rack builder- mad props!

Nick_cor said:
i think this rig is just not working out , becuase i'd have to get another cabinet, and even then, i wouldn't be able to have effects on my clean and lead channels beacuase my studio pre is for cleans which is going into the effects loop of my mark IIC+ which is being used for leads, and even then i'd need another cabinet to play both of them,

Does anyone know if theres a rack or stompbox unit that takes all my power outputs and allows me to choose which one I want to use, so i could use 1 cabinet and have 3 different heads,
[/quote]

Multiple heads, switched into one cabinet, would be a problem. You CANNOT run a tube amp without a load. Very bad thing to do--you'll blow something up. The two heads that were switched "off" would need some kind of dummy load to keep them happy. This is quite a bit of work, and I'm not sure it's worth it.

Multiple preamps is easy--but multiple power amps through the same cab is a bit more challenging.

I think your basic ideas could work with the GCX. The basic jist would be to plug your guitar into the buffered guitar in on the front of the unit. You could then use a splitter cable to feed the inputs of all of your preamps. The effects sends of each preamp would be send back to the GCX allowing for switching between them. (If you want to layer them, you'd need to add a line mixer). Your effects processor would be placed in two separate loops (for stereo effects). Then other loops would connect to the effects returns of your power amps. this would allow you to pick which preamp you would use, route the signal through your FX, then return this signal to the power amp of your choice. As far as cabinet routing, you'd need a high gain amp switcher for that. If you are using two mark heads, you can just return whichever preamp you are using to both mark heads (via stereo fx) for a true stereo setup with both poweramps running all the time.

If I understand correctly, you are wanting to use a studio preamp and 2 mark heads all with effects. Utilizing two cabinets (one for each mark power amp) you would be able to run true stereo w/ effects picking between your mark preamps and studio preamp. The effects would essentially be in the loop (being in between the preamp and poweramp) of each combination however you chose to route it.

Boltino said:
I think your basic ideas could work with the GCX. The basic jist would be to plug your guitar into the buffered guitar in on the front of the unit. You could then use a splitter cable to feed the inputs of all of your preamps. The effects sends of each preamp would be send back to the GCX allowing for switching between them. (If you want to layer them, you'd need to add a line mixer). Your effects processor would be placed in two separate loops (for stereo effects). Then other loops would connect to the effects returns of your power amps. this would allow you to pick which preamp you would use, route the signal through your FX, then return this signal to the power amp of your choice. As far as cabinet routing, you'd need a high gain amp switcher for that. If you are using two mark heads, you can just return whichever preamp you are using to both mark heads (via stereo fx) for a true stereo setup with both poweramps running all the time.

If I understand correctly, you are wanting to use a studio preamp and 2 mark heads all with effects. Utilizing two cabinets (one for each mark power amp) you would be able to run true stereo w/ effects picking between your mark preamps and studio preamp. The effects would essentially be in the loop (being in between the preamp and poweramp) of each combination however you chose to route it.

ok, so what i'm asking is possible and it'll be easier with 2 cabinets, but i don't understand how i im going to get true stereo with one mark head?- wouldn't each mark head be going to one cabinet?

You'd be using the power sections of both mark heads. One left and one right. I find it's easier when working on routing stuff like this to think of a head as a preamp and a poweramp. When you use the effects loop send and return you are basically separating the two. Your stereo power section would use two mark head's power sections and two speaker cabinets (or 1 stereo cabinet). Hope this helps.

Boltino said:
You'd be using the power sections of both mark heads. One left and one right. I find it's easier when working on routing stuff like this to think of a head as a preamp and a poweramp. When you use the effects loop send and return you are basically separating the two. Your stereo power section would use two mark head's power sections and two speaker cabinets (or 1 stereo cabinet). Hope this helps.

ok, i get that, for some reason i thought you meant i coudl get true stereo from 2 cabs with ONE amp head.. i know i'll be using one mark in one cab and the other in the other.. but i guess theres no way to have lets say my mark III being played through 2 cabinets so i can have true stereo effects?

No the nature of stereo effects requires two poweramps (or one 2 channel power amp). In order to have stereo effects such as ping-pong delay, panning, etc. you'd need to utilize two poweramps.

If you are talking about using the Mark III preamp through stereo effects that is possible. You'd slave the Mark III preamp into your effects processor then go stereo out of your effects into the effects return of your Mark III and Mark IIC+ (each power amp connected to its own cabinet). Thus you'd have your Mark III preamp with effects in stereo.

I haven't done a schematic, but from my recollections, everything you described (except cabinet switching) is possible with the GCX. The guys at Voodoo labs are incredibly helpful so I'd contact them and they can help you hash out all the details. Good Luck!

Back