Help... Road King issue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karlpetrucci

Reaction score
Just got my RK 2 Combo last night. It should be a great thing, but there's some problem with the Road King - the volume is extremely low with the 2 X 12 speaker! I'd make sure that everything is ok but it doesn't help. However, when I connect to the other cabinet, Marshall 4X12 in Speaker A, it's really powerful!! I'm wondering if there's any problem with the speaker, or the connection.

If anyone here has the same experience? Would appreciate if you can advise how can I solve it.

Anyway, I will call the dealer today for the issue.

You said you have used the Cab switchers set to A, look through the manual to see what it says to connect and have full output from the cab and combo. I think its A+B. Also, make sure the OHMS are correct.

Is there a ground jack in the other channel like on the head ?
Because if there is you need to unplug it .

karlpetrucci said:
Just got my RK 2 Combo last night. It should be a great thing, but there's some problem with the Road King - the volume is extremely low with the 2 X 12 speaker! I'd make sure that everything is ok but it doesn't help. However, when I connect to the other cabinet, Marshall 4X12 in Speaker A, it's really powerful!! I'm wondering if there's any problem with the speaker, or the connection.

If anyone here has the same experience? Would appreciate if you can advise how can I solve it.

Anyway, I will call the dealer today for the issue.
Mine was on the A+B setting, in the middle, when it did that.

If you're plugged into A, then I would use the A setting. You could cause some undue stress on your transformer if you don't have a load on B. At least that's what I remember reading.

Brewski said:
If you're plugged into A, then I would use the A setting. You could cause some undue stress on your transformer if you don't have a load on B. At least that's what I remember reading.
Yep, but if you're on A/B with no cab, it sounds weak. I dunno, it's pretty hard to say without seeing the way he's got it plugged up. If you don't have anything but the combo you're supposed to plug the dummy load into B.

Yup. I have a head and just plug a 2x12 into A and the dummy into B. Like you say, unless you know how it's connected, how the cab is wired, along with settings and such, there's no way of knowing.

Well, the default setting is a jack connected to 8 -16 OHM "B" - the Combo speaker, and their's a ground jack plug in 4 OHM B as well. I'm not sure if I should unplug the ground jack as the manual said that it's extremely important to keep the jack plug in "B" at all time when not using the Cabinet feature. As I planned to use the combo's speaker only at the first pace, I haven't unplugged the ground jack.

Hey Karlpetrucci, Set the switch on the back to bold. Turn off the loops. Set your speaker setting to A. Bring up the output to noon for starters, and then bring up the channel master to up. Could it be that you have the output master switched off in the back? Get your tone settings and bring the gain up to taste. It should be cranking out quite a bit at this point.

karlpetrucci said:
Well, the default setting is a jack connected to 8 -16 OHM "B" - the Combo speaker, and their's a ground jack plug in 4 OHM B as well. I'm not sure if I should unplug the ground jack as the manual said that it's extremely important to keep the jack plug in "B" at all time when not using the Cabinet feature. As I planned to use the combo's speaker only at the first pace, I haven't unplugged the ground jack.

Plug the combo's speakers into "A" (8-Ohm) and the grounding plug into "B", and make sure all channels are set to speaker A.

NoGlassNoClass said:
karlpetrucci said:

Plug the combo's speakers into "A" (8-Ohm) and the grounding plug into "B", and make sure all channels are set to speaker A.

+1, I experienced the same thing with my RK II -- do as said above, problem solved.

Thanks to all for your advice. I plugged the combo's speaker to "A", and switch all channel to "A" speaker. The volume issue is fine now. However, I just wonder, is it NORMAL for such different volume in plugging the same into "A" or "B"?

Should be no difference in using "A" or "B"....however if you had the grounding plug AND the speakers both in "B" (or "A" for that matter), most of your signal is shorted to ground, hence no volume and its probably not real good for the amp either. If you had cabs connected to both "A" and "B" you wouldnt use the grounding plug at all.

Latest posts

Back