Help rewiring guitars with a Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalblitz84

Reaction score
I just recently replaced my stock gibson explorer pickups with Emg's and rewired the guitar to have just two volumes and no tone. I also rewired my ESP Eclipse and took out the tone leaving just the two volumes. Now, if I'm on the bridge pickup and the volume is all the way down, but the neck volume is all the way up I can hear sound being picked up from the neck. And vice versa. This is the same on both guitars. I went to a Sam ash to say if this was normal. One guitar with ESP pickups did the same thing. But two different guitars with EMG's worked perfectly, where if the volume was all the way down you couldn't hear it no matter what position the toggle switch is in. Does anybody know how I could have done this or how to fix it, or is this just normal. Any input would help. Thanks!!!!

Hmm, I'm not sure how to make that happen with no tone controls (not smart enough with circuits). Here is a page showing Les Paul-style wiring diagrams for independent volume controls versus linked:

http://www.dominocs.com/AshBassGuitar/WireLibrary-Gibson.html

I have had that same thing happen to me. My Les Paul which I brought to a tech to have the pick ups changed from stock to EMG's had this SAME problem.

My ESP Explorer which came stocked with EMG's does not have this problem. It works perfect and sounds great, it's overal tone is far better than my Les Paul. I know they're different guitars but I think the problem also effects other things causing a difference in tone.

I brought my Les Paul to another tech and he fixed it, sounds way better! The palm mutes are for better as well since the change, hard to describe but it's like there's more range (kinda) or depth to it, I dunno...

I would suggest to either bring the guitar to a reputable tech OR see if you can have a look at the insides of a guitar with EMG's that does not have this problem. Then you can compare it's wiring configuration to yours and find he problem and correct it.

Hope this helps.

ALSO....I know some guitar shops won't allow you to open the back of the guitar and have a look, so what you can do at least is:

Find a guitar with EMG's that is wired/set up EXACTLY how you want it (2 Volume, NO tone, NO volume issue as you mentioned)

Write down the EXACT model number and contact the manufacturer or check online and you should be able to get ahold of a wiring schematic for that model to compare against your guitar....

GOOD LUCK!

2h_2v_3w.jpg

check out this site, they have alot of different diagrams +guitar mod diagrams as well

D

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiringresources.8emgwiringdiagrams/

Latest posts

Back