HELP RECORDING MARK w/ MED-HIGH GAIN!?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatbagg

Reaction score
Ok, Ive been recording for 3 years, and recently left computer recording...Now, I have a 900 desktop (or harddisk) 8 track recorder, a 200 dollar guitar amp mic, all planet waves cables, and a mark IV...Im getting cheese tone while recording...I need some help, if anyone could clarify a few things...

I play with mild-high gain...

Should I have reverb on while recording, and how much?
I like some mids in my sounds, but whats too much for recording?
What knobs or eq will smooth it out?
Should I record med loud (master at 2, channel at 5, full power pentode)) or quiet (master 1-2, channel at 3, class a triode)?
Should I use harmonics or mid gain?
Where should I place the mic for the most rounded type sound, not harsh?
Should I try with a 2nd mic, if so, where? ( my first is against the grill).

Im not looking for a super fuzzy or swept metal sound, I want big, smooth classic, heavy med/high gain (both gains about 7).

HELP!?!?!?!?!?!!!Any other micing techniques?

The best tip I can give you is to get the sound you want from your monitors.
And use NO, absolutely NO effects between the microphone and the recording device. A very well used classic microphone combo for guitars are Shure SM57 and Sennheiser MD421 with these two mics equally balanced you will get that classy guitar sound. Sennheiser have a mic named evo 906 which pretty much does the MD421 + som extras, and is also cheaper.

Important!
When you use two microphones together, there is always a risk for Phase cancellation, which you have to look out for.

Naturally the preamps at your recorder will mean something, and more important, the placement of the mics at the cabinet. but that you have to listen to that, when you setup the recording session.

I don't have a markIV so I can't tell you about all the special stuff on the amp, but the main rule is to get the best sound possible dry into your recording device.
And dub the guitar so you get stereo (NO copy and paste) That will bring the recording another dimension.
If you choose to quad the guitar, it can get bigger, but also blurier, you can give it a try though. I don't do that anymore, cos I like the guitars "in your face"

well
Good luck

Tony

Bottom line always seems to come down to critical mic placement for me anyway. You should be able to get the exact sound you want from your amp then capture it. I usually get the most accurate results with two mics; one on the grill (sm-57) at an angle as well as a room mic (condenser) a few feet away depending on the room. The angle and position of a close mic are super sensitive and a lot of tweaking usually takes place.

Mic placement is the most important in my experience.

I've also had luck using the recording out at a lower level and blending it with one mic sound with the mark IV.

is it a combo or are you using a cab?

the biggest problem i've had in recording with my mark iv is getting over-saturated distortion that sounds fizzy. i often use full power/pentode/class A/harmonics, sometimes simul-class, but i would recommend using a lower channel level and higher master level. i rarely ever get my channel above 3 and instead set the master around 3 to achieve more power tube breakup (this is key for the "smooth" aspect).

as far as placement that's not harsh, don't point it straight at the voice coil. if you're up close against the grille, try pointing it a little off axis towards the speaker cone.

i'd use a little bit of reverb but not too much, otherwise the tone will lose definition. you can always add a touch of reverb in the mix later if it's really too dry.

i also think double-tracking/panning is critical for getting a really thick, chunky tone.

Latest posts

Back