Help please: Tremoverb has hum when turning on reverb...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dap9

Reaction score
I'm not sure what's up. I plugged into my TOV last night after a few months of it being in its case. When I went to turn the Reverb knob up, I got this ridiculous hum. I could hear some reverb, but the hum was pretty bad - on both channels and on clean and dirty settings.

There's two RCA-type jacks that I thought maybe were "wrong" but switching them made things worse.

I'm the original owner of this amp. I bought it as a combo, but last year I bought a head shelf for it so now it's in that. When I transferred the chasis everything worked fine. I re-tubed it w/ MESA tubes about a year ago too and they don't have much wear on them at all. The head is kept in a flight case in my bedroom.

Any ideas? Since I've had it for about 12 years, is it due for some kind of "check up"/tune up any way?

Thanks!

Did you do a tube substitution to see if a preamp tube is acting up? Just because they don't have a lot of miles on them doesn't mean they won't crap out on you.

I just pulled my T-verb manual and it says V5 is the reverb driver and "mixer amp" (?) and V1 plays a role in reverb return. I'd put new ones in those sockets or at least sub tubes on the chassis to put different ones in those slots just to see what happens.

V1 is the preamp tube that supposedly takes the most hell in a Recto circuit, so I'd definitely sub that one out first. It's the preamp tube closest to the input jack. On my stock T-Verb head, it's the only preamp tube under a metal shielding can.

V5 is the preamp tube closest to the rectifier tubes.

Thanks for the ideas Jeff. I went ahead and called a local guy who's certified by MESA (and makes his own amps as well). I'll drop it off next week. I figure he can give the whole amp the once over. I'd try your ideas in the meantime, but I don't have any extra tubes lying around :(

Have a good one

Latest posts

Back