Help needed.... Thinking of buying a 1991 Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F1-Fanatic

Reaction score
I am looking at a used Mark IV today (1991 - Series 1) with an MC-90 and the hardwood/wicker cab.... It's been about 16 years since I have even looked at an amp (having used a studio preamp in my rack with a 2:90 for power) so I am completely in the dark here.

My question: Is there a big enough of difference between the 1991 Series 1 combo and current model to justify the extra money and lead time it takes to purchase the new unit? Are the older Mark IV's more desirable or less??? Are there other things I need to think about before looking at a used Series 1? Any idea what the amp in mint condition is worth?

The Studio Pre is the ONLY setup I have used for the past 20 or so years, so it's really all I know. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have always wanted this amp!

Thanks for your help

They're all good.... Sounds like a nice unit... I'd buy it and invest in new tubes, maybe a cap job and a nice 2 X 12 cabinet to sit it on for the same price as a new one. Mind you the 5 year warrantee on the new one I bought is nice.

srf399 said:
They're all good.... Sounds like a nice unit... I'd buy it and invest in new tubes, maybe a cap job and a nice 2 X 12 cabinet to sit it on for the same price as a new one. Mind you the 5 year warrantee on the new one I bought is nice.

I know what new tubes would do, but what does a cap job entail, and is it expensive?

Series 1 or better known as Mark IV A, the current ones are know as Mark IV B.....

Anyway, here are the distinguising features (someone chime in if I miss one or two):

Mark IV A:

1. Dual Mono Effects Loop - One on all the time , the other switchable
2. Basic clone of the Mark IIC+ Preamp circuit

Mark IV B:

1. Stereo Effects Loop

2. Satellite out - to use Mark IV in stereo (specifically the Simul-Sat 60 or 85)

3. Preamp circuit has it's own identity, some say darker, smoother than mark IV A

4. Rhythm 2 has more gain than ver A.

Overall you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart sonically if auditioned separately, but side by side, the differences will become more apparent.

I personally prefer the Mark IVB; hated to pay the price hike, but bit :wink: the bullet and ordered a Bubinga Hardwood 1x12 combo.

Cap job is not neccesary.

I own a 92 A version and the caps are still in great condition.

Both versions sound really good, youll be happy with any version if you like the Mark IV.

I would go for it!

AART said:
Cap job is not neccesary.

I own a 92 A version and the caps are still in great condition.

Both versions sound really good, youll be happy with any version if you like the Mark IV.

I would go for it!

I'm starting to salivate! :)

20$ :D i'm not sure, w here i live, you can buy a mark IV for 2450 and that's just a vinyl so a hardwood will run me over 3200$ BUT that's for a new one, yours is a mark IV A the one I have, I'd think maybe over 1500$ how much are you paying?

Nick_cor said:
20$ :D i'm not sure, w here i live, you can buy a mark IV for 2450 and that's just a vinyl so a hardwood will run me over 3200$ BUT that's for a new one, yours is a mark IV A the one I have, I'd think maybe over 1500$ how much are you paying?

Around $1,800 USD

Nick_cor said:
that's still a great price, try to haggle them down some more!

I don't know...w/o seeing it, but I did a completed listings (eBay) a few months back before I place my order to see what the used hardwood Mark IV combos were going for and none sold for over $1500.

Actually on this forum someone was selling both the MK IV combo & the Matching Thiele cab for $2000, and it looked in pristine condition

It was either an Imbuya or Bubinga Hardwood finish on both.

Personally I wouldn't pay $1800 (if you are stateside), unless you are in an area outside the U.S. where the going rate is as Nick posted.

Not sure if it's sold yet, but here's the FS:post for MK IV HW & Thiele:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=9290

Edited: looks like the $2000 also includes ATA Road Cases for both Amp & Cab.

Now that's a great deal!!!! ..........and no I don't know the poster or getting a commission :wink:

yeah, what jazzgear said!! either way, you will be happy and when your happy money means nothing.. and then we want more happines ( which is money) and we buy more stuff and we get introuble.. so just get the mark IV and leave it at that!

I paid $ 750 for a mint unused MK IVB 1X12 tolex Combo with the EV 12L.
It was so clean I thought it was new. My old pal at GC blew it out for me.
Still, my neighbor bought a 1995 MK IVB head in great shape at Sam Ash for $ 1000 out the door.

Boogiebabies said:
I paid $ 750 for a mint unused MK IVB 1X12 tolex Combo with the EV 12L.
It was so clean I thought it was new. My old pal at GC blew it out for me.
Still, my neighbor bought a 1995 MK IVB head in great shape at Sam Ash for $ 1000 out the door.

Yeah...great deal.

To date I have to say that before my RK II, I had never purchased any Mesa stuff new.....always used and way below market value...turned around and sold them after a while for a nice profit.

So, now that I've come full circle (I've owned and sold the MK IV at least 7-10 times through the years), I don't have a problem paying full retail -- although this time it's for keeps. :wink:

Back