help my tone please it's suffering!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triple rectumfrier

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am in a metal/hardcore band (who isn't these days?) anyways, I play lead and rhythm along with our other guitarist whos running a 5150 and cab ONLY.

I need help with my rig, the tone is suffering like mad. It seems its got the LOWS and has the HIGHS but the mids...well theres nothing there!! I have been told people can't hear me at shows that aren't miked for the PA...and that by boosting my mids, my sound would cut through. I have messed with this thing so much that it is now just bugging me!!

Here's my rig:
-Mesa Boogie Triple Rec
-Mesa 412 cab (the bigger one, traditional or standard? i dont know)
Rack:
-Monster Cable PRO 2500 power conditioner
-KORG tuner
-Shure ULXP4 wireless
-Sonic Maximizer 882

The KORG and Sonic are running through my effects Loop

Guitar:
-ESP KH2

The sound I am looking for would have to be like Unearth's album The Oncoming Storm.

I retubed it, with stock Mesa 6L6's and changed the first 2 preamp tubes with ones you guys said were good. Cant remember what they were :oops:

Any help pleaseee maybe some settings you guys have used and worked well? I am running out of ideas!!!

Thanks guys,
Matt

Is it a 2 channel or a 3 channel and can you post your settings?

Have you tried taking things out of your rig to trouble shoot a faulty piece of gear?

You have active pups, batteries okay?

(im just brain storming)

I really dont see there being a problem with the mesa,but there might,as mention trouble shoot your gear.If not try an EQ pedal in front of that beast(you shouldnt need to but hey try it for kicks and giggles)

I always run my Mids around Noon or higher on all channels. Sometimes what sounds good with a band might not sound like you want by itself... and vice-versa, what sounds like "***" by itself, can sound amazing with a band.

I'd think a BBE would scoop it out more?? Besides, the triple has a Parallel FX loop and EQ's and enhancers don't seem to work too well in the loop.

Get rid of the maximizer and boost the mids to 12 or 1 o'clock...you'll cut through no problem. Also, don't be afraid to turn the gain down...the higher you run the gain, the harder it is to make it cut.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Get rid of the maximizer and boost the mids to 12 or 1 o'clock...you'll cut through no problem. Also, don't be afraid to turn the gain down...the higher you run the gain, the harder it is to make it cut.
+1 on lowering the gain!

+100000 On lowering gain. I play in an alternative rockband that needs balls in the guitar tone but still plenty of clarity to serve justice to the complicated parts. Theres to strings in the band but my partner runs his gain through the roof. I on the other hand tend to keep my Dual rec 3 channel at about 12 to 1 o'clock on my red channel. The louder you turn the beast up. The more it overdrives itself. Speakermovement and pure db level is enough to make any sound distort its self to the human ear. Run the lows about 12 or 1 o'clock if you must. but the lower you turn the lows the tighter the amp gets. Sometimes sub mids for lows. and let some of the volume take care of it. Your supposed to hear guitar.. not feel it thumping your chest. Kick drums and bass were intended to do so. Also the silicon diodes tend to run tighter and more solid state sounding. Try using that incase your using the vaccum tube setting. Run it bold not spongy. See how that works out for you.

Thanks everyone for the responses! I would post my settings, but the equipment is all at my buddies house that I wont be able to get to until tonight. I know that I do have the gain up the roof, so I will turn it down. Oh and the bass is quite high, so I will lower that.

Why dont you guys like the Sonic Maximizer? Should I take the BBE out of the effects loop? And if I did that, and still want to use it, where should I put it?

Also there are knobs on the back for the effects loop...level and mix? I think they are...where should those be at?

Oh yea and I have active pickups.

okay so I have been reading around that the sonic maximizer does not mesh well with the triple. so I will probably be ditching it. I would like to have a nice EQ though...rackmountable, anyone know of any good ones?

Maybe the Alesis DEQ-230, its beautiful and I have heard good things...

what about a Fulltone OCD pedal? Would that help? And how would the Alesis and the pedal work together? Alesis in the loops and pedal upfront.

I am torn between what I should get!!!

One thing at a time! 1st get rid of the Sonic Maximizer, then lower your gain, and always use common sense with the controls on your amp, extremes are not needed/recommended! I would'nt think you'd need any effect devices at all, EQ's or OD's! I would question the tuner being in the loop? And from a two guitar stand-point, if one is mid-heavy, theres nothing wrong with the other being a little scooped, or at least different! Don't start fighting over volume or sonic territory, carve your own tone! 8)

jbird said:
One thing at a time! 1st get rid of the Sonic Maximizer, then lower your gain, and always use common sense with the controls on your amp, extremes are not needed/recommended! I would'nt think you'd need any effect devices at all, EQ's or OD's! I would question the tuner being in the loop? And from a two guitar stand-point, if one is mid-heavy, theres nothing wrong with the other being a little scooped, or at least different! Don't start fighting over volume or sonic territory, carve your own tone! 8)
Thanks! where do you think the tuner should be then?

An A/B is a simple switch that will direct your signal one way or another. With this little tool you either direct your signal to your tuner or to your amp. In other cases, you might direct your signal to one amp or another in a multiple amp setup.

I know that I do have the gain up the roof, so I will turn it down. Oh and the bass is quite high, so I will lower that

You can run the bass at 10 it wont flub out on you, I run mine at 9 and it sounds great. The gain lowered is a must, and the suggestions of 12- 2 o'clock are perfect. For your style of music, you can get away with the mids at about 9-11 o'clock and just adjust when jamming.

Thanks! where do you think the tuner should be then?

What Russ said...

Realized what it was. I needed a new "stereo input jack" in my guitar, it was failing I guess, so I soldered a new one in and it sounds great. I will admit I do like the sonic maximizer a lot, so I am going to keep it. Might give the Fulltone OCD a try too.

Why dont you guys like the SM?

Oh yeah, I did turn down the gain to about 1 o clock and it sounds fantastic!!! also got monster cable studio cables for the effects loop!!

Latest posts

Back