Help - my single rec won't turn on!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidprint

Reaction score
Hi guys wonder if anyone can help?
My Single Rectifier got accidentally dropped the other day and I found that the two pre amp tubes had fallen out of their sockets. I replaced the tubes as best I could (I've never replaced them so not an expert at this at all) but now the amp will not turn on at all.
I have removed the tubes and there appears to be nothing wrong with either of them. Could it be a transformer problem?
Anyone got any ideas?

hey kidprint,

you dropped? DROPPED that the tubes fell out of the sockets? wow, that was an impact, man!

regarding this i suggest to check ALL tubes, all sockets and fuses especially.

btw, how deep was the fall?

best luck!

that did occur to me but I wouldn't have thought that dropping the amp would have affected the fuse?

kidprint said:
that did occur to me but I wouldn't have thought that dropping the amp would have affected the fuse?

I wouldn't think so either but seeing how the amp will not turn on, I would start with easy things to check like the power fuse, and it only takes a minute to do so.

Was the amp on when it fell? If so, was it still on after it hit the deck? If the amp was on, a good bang like that may have taken out a weak fuse.

Dom

No it wasn't on - fell out of my grip onto the pavement (sidewalk) whilst getting off a bus.

Like others have said, check the fuse. The impact may or may not have broken it directly, but it could have caused a physical short inside one or more of your tubes, which will usually blow the fuse when you try to power the amp on. At least test all of your tubes, too -- if it were my amp, I'd just replace every one after an impact like that, as a physically shorted tube has so much potential to take out other, harder to replace, components.

I doubt there's a problem with a transformer. Those are pretty tough to begin with, and Mesa overbuilds theirs. They are heavy, though, so it may not be a bad idea to visually check that they are still securely mounted to the chassis.

While you're checking things, it also wouldn't hurt to check the PCB inside. Unmount the chassis from the headshell and inspect it to make sure it's still mounted straight, and isn't flexed or cracked. Be careful, as the big filter caps can still be carrying a lethal charge. If you're at all unsure about this part, have a tech check it out for you.

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted out! :)

Ok will check all that when I get in from work.
Thanks for the help guys - I will update the thread when I've had another look.

Latest posts

Back