Help me pick a new BOOGIE please

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woody said:
I'm into more of vintage sound and looking for a 2x12 lonstar special
I've been very happy with my LSS (in combination with my Ace). But, you should search the archives and read other posts about the LSS. And, most importantly, try to listen to the LSS yourself.

well the express amps replaced the f series and i would agree that the f-50 would be a very good choice.

The express has many issues with some people on harmony central regarding it cant do the whole metal thing. Thats because the amp is very strange....it all depends on the guitar.

On my strat with a dimarzio tonezone..it gets pretty saturated and heavy. But on my yamaha guitar with a full humbucker jb junior it excels at all metal styles. There is more than enough chunk there for anyone in my opinion....it all depends on the guitar you use i guess....

.....best of luck and let us know what amp you do choose ya lucky git!!!

i noticed the dimarzio pickup in your strat?? The express works well with that. I use one. Why not a/b your amps and save money getting a fender amp for cleans.......then use that mark 3 for gain????? That could work out cheaper.

Boogies are boogies and theres no shortcut. If ya want all the sounds then the Roadster/f-series/stiletto/express pretty much cover all styles. The lonestar has that vintage vibe going on not so modern metal tones.

EXPRESSLOVER said:
i noticed the dimarzio pickup in your strat?? The express works well with that. I use one. Why not a/b your amps and save money getting a fender amp for cleans.......then use that mark 3 for gain????? That could work out cheaper.

Boogies are boogies and theres no shortcut. If ya want all the sounds then the Roadster/f-series/stiletto/express pretty much cover all styles. The lonestar has that vintage vibe going on not so modern metal tones.

that's what i've been thinking about actually...would need to figure out how to use my FX with 2 amps doh.

jdurso said:
MusicManJP6 said:
I hated the cleans on my Mark IV. They were boxy and all punch, no chime.

i'll have to agree. mark iv cleans always felt very stiff to me unlike the express which is very airy and open which is the kind of cleans i love.
hmm...I just havent really played anything other than a MKIV and Triple Rect. :?

EXPRESSLOVER said:
well the express amps replaced the f series and i would agree that the f-50 would be a very good choice.

The express has many issues with some people on harmony central regarding it cant do the whole metal thing. Thats because the amp is very strange....it all depends on the guitar.

On my strat with a dimarzio tonezone..it gets pretty saturated and heavy. But on my yamaha guitar with a full humbucker jb junior it excels at all metal styles. There is more than enough chunk there for anyone in my opinion....it all depends on the guitar you use i guess....

.....best of luck and let us know what amp you do choose ya lucky git!!!

you also have to consider most of the guys on harmony central dont have a clue when it comes to dialing in a mesa. and the ones that do are looking for the trademark recto tones which the express can mimick but they're different beasts menat for different things.

also consider most of people that post of harmony central are marshall crack addicts or snot nose brats that go to GC turn the treble, bass and gain to the max, scoop out all the mids and turn it up expecting to sound like petrucci... it doesnt help they usually pick up the biggest POS guitar in the store. sorry i needed to vent i'm beginning to hate the crew over at HC

totally!!!!

Those guys aint gotta clue how to dial in great tone. Marshalls here in Ireland at least, are used everywhere as the industry standard. Their cheap to buy here and EVERYONE HAS ONE!!!

That said....the new Marshall JVM is an awesome amp that certaintly is a strong contender in the most versatile amp catagory. The tone is top notch also. It was between the Express over The jvm stack....

I chose the more expensive mesa combo over the marshall stack. Im glad I did as i think this sound is more my taste.

Soooooooooooo creamy!!!!

For a great maiden tone there is only one amp mesa makes.

The stiletto.

I had a marshall rig in my early ears the jmp-1 and the 8200 power amp. Simply put identical to the maiden rig. Nothing from mesa touches this rig in terms of maiden tones except the stiletto.

And it has way better cleans. My opinion may be colored since I'm stiletto owner but the fact remains. Go to your nearest dealer and try the ace out. Set everything noonish on the tite gain and leave the presence off. Throw a mid oriented od in front ts 9, zw or similar and trust me you'll never look back. If you find the ace combo to bright try the deuce head with a 2x12 cab.

jdurso said:
MusicManJP6 said:
I hated the cleans on my Mark IV. They were boxy and all punch, no chime.

i'll have to agree. mark iv cleans always felt very stiff to me unlike the express which is very airy and open which is the kind of cleans i love.

I felt the same when I tried out a Mark IV. Really felt the cleans were wanting. I like the clean channel on the Mesa Nomad amp.

Having said that my Harry Joyce and Matchless amps have cleans Mesa's can only dream of having....especially the Joyce.

Back