Help me pick a new BOOGIE please

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

al3d

Reaction score
Wich direction should i go to get a VERY good clean sound...Fenderish if i can say, but i still need to get a very good distortion..metal wise..Maiden, metalica style. Right now i have a Mark III with 2 EM12L loaded Theile, but when you have a good distortion, the clean sucks..and vice & versa.

SO..looking at a 1x12 or 2x12 combo mostly. i'm done with Stacks..:)

Thanks for the help..:)

i was thinking of the MK V..but i'm told iT's not for another year at least..who know's if it's true or not

Get an open back cab. This will introduce airiness into the sound and definitely will make the cleans better. Combined with the thiele this a lethal combination.

Maybe wait for the Mk V. I have it on really (REALLY) good authority that the cleans are sweet. And that Petrucci will be using the clean channel on the V and ditching the Lonestars...

I can't wait to find out for myself!

the express has one of the best boogie clean sounds with great distortion sounds....

guitarist magazine quoted...

i have the 2x12 combo 5 ; 50 and the clean channel is insanely loud and bell like like the fender combos.

distortion is very cream like. it nails filter - chevelle - metallica tones easily with a humbucking mahogany guitar..

it got a rare guitarist gold gong award which sold me and bought it.

But if your used to all that versatility with the mark series amp you might find the 4 mode express limited. Although 4 modes pretty much covers every territory more than alot of amps in that price catagory..

also the express is an open back combo which further enhances clean sounds. For distortion, your extension cab will only enhance the distortion sounds further.....best of luck..

TheFullNelsons said:
I had a Lonestar but ended up trading up to a Roadster 2 X 12 Combo and am very happy with the clean and distorted channels. Is is @#$%# heavy but worth the sore back.
I think that is a reasonable choice. For myself, I choose a LSS and an ACE so I could stereo power-amp the effects loop and switch preamps with a GCX audio switcher. But, for an single amp, I think the Roadster has a great range of tones.

TheFullNelsons said:
I had a Lonestar but ended up trading up to a Roadster 2 X 12 Combo and am very happy with the clean and distorted channels. Is is @#$%# heavy but worth the sore back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEjZ1jUiAeA

Here it is in action from last weekend. watch it in high quality if you have the bandwidth

Sounds good, listened to a few of your tracks nice tune choice!

How is the lovely metropolis of goderich? I can't say I have ever heard of summerfest there even though I am relatively close in London.

PS I have a roadster head and 2x12 cab and love it, very versatile!

Well I'm going to chime on this one, The roadster,Mark Iv are some good amps, but they come with a big price tag, Well over $1000 cheeseburger's , So my choice is going to be the Mesa F-50, This amp won 2 awards, and also kn owed for its clean channel,then the distortion is a High gain that could do metal easy and also zz Top , Texas blues stuff. The F-50 is very loud with 6L6s, I seen then sell on eBay for $650 to $800 Good Luck on your choice and let us know what you chose

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885856&highlight=mesa

I have the 5:50 1x12 with a Vintage 30 I think the cleans are insanely good. I also think it does 80's metal very well, very nice Maiden gallopin' can be acheived, but certainly lacks the higher gain needed for heavy heavy ****.

Oh, and I gotta say this --- please don't mention Iron Maiden in the same sentence with that other band It's borderline blastfamy :)

i'm gonna go with woody here and advise you check out the F-50. i'd put it's cleans up next to any deluxe, and the gain is just great. channel 2 is great for anything from blues to rock to classic metal. if you want more just engage the contour... you're starting to get into recto territory, but its much more focused taking a page from the mark series.

Skully said:
I have the 5:50 1x12 with a Vintage 30 I think the cleans are insanely good. I also think it does 80's metal very well, very nice Maiden gallopin' can be acheived, but certainly lacks the higher gain needed for heavy heavy sh!t.

Oh, and I gotta say this --- please don't mention Iron Maiden in the same sentence with that other band It's borderline blastfamy :)

SO TRUE..hehe..my bad..) MAIDEN RULES..:)

I need to specify that the distportion is primordial..i love the one on my MKIII, but can't get a clean sound outa of it. such a shame, took me 2 years to put that kit togheter.

New_kit.jpg

MusicManJP6 said:
I hated the cleans on my Mark IV. They were boxy and all punch, no chime.

i'll have to agree. mark iv cleans always felt very stiff to me unlike the express which is very airy and open which is the kind of cleans i love.

The express might be a good amp, I think the express has el84? so if it dose the cleans should be great! I'm not sure about the distortion?? I'm into more of vintage sound and looking for a 2x12 lonstar special
Rock on

Back