Help me get the most out of my rectoverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluesymetal

Reaction score
Hi, first post here, I've had a rectoverb for a couple months now and I can't get that tone in my head with it. What I'm looking for is something close to triviums tone on their crusade album, tight, articulate, compressed high gain rhythm and smooth upper middy leads that can cut. I know thats asking a lot from one amp but I think it can be done! I have a maxon od-9 set as a boost in front, el-34's in the power section right now and a graphic eq I can put in the loop. I'm also going to get a isp noise gate because the amp is noisy as hell with the over drive, lots of feedback. I usually don't put the gain past 130 -2 oclock either. I have a decent amount of mids set between 11-3 and the treb is around the same, I have the bass pretty low between 8-10 and my presence around the same as the bass. I'm thinking of taking down the mids some for rhythm and then using the eq in the loop for a mids boost, while leaving the boost on all the time. I'm really not worried about cleans right now. Also it's important that I can hear myself in the band, but I think the upper midy tone I want wont be hard to hear. Any settings or tips would be helpfull. I really want this amp to work for me but I'm considering moving on to something else.

It seems odd that your amp would feed back as bad as you say with your gain not past 2. What type of pick-ups are you using...as THAT can affect tone greatly. I have a single recto...which is basically the same as the ROV but minus the Reverb. It, through my standard 4x12 recto cab...can get really tight and chuggy and compressed if dialed in correctly...however I run my sound kinda geared towards rock...wide open and full sounding. More roar like instead of really tight crunch. I guess other than your pickups...what cab do you use?
We'll help you how we can.
Hum

I use an esp guitars with emg's an 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck. I should clarify theres no feedback when I'm playing, but it's almost uncontrollable when I'm not. If I'm doing a start stop pantera type riff there will feedback when I'm muting my strings. I have the rectoverb combo right now I'm using it just with the one speaker, I was running it through a carvin cab that had vintage 30's, that sounded a little better but not a great amount. That cabs at my cover bands rehersal space, used with my rack gear now. I want to use this amp with an original band eventualyy to creat MY sound as opposed to my cover situation. My playing influences are zakk wylde, dime, randy rhoads, the guys from trivium, jason becker, dave mustaine and all the classic rock heros like page, slash and such. Thanks for any help.

Sounds like a microphonic pickup. Try a different guitar and see if it still happens.

Well it wasnt a microphonic pickup, I tried many guitars with it, I think I just had the presence to high. I am however getting extremly close to the tone in my head! I was close to selling this thing! But have changed my mind, I run it on modern, went back to the stock 6l6's, keep the boost in front, turned up the gain slightly to around 230, treb around 1, mids around 2, bass 9, presence just above off and my master at 9, then I have a boss ge-7 in the loop with the mids SLIGHTLY scooped, with the upper mids up a little. Man this puppy sings!!! I can get feedback if I want it, but its controlable by just muting my strings with my palm. I'm getting tight aggresive ryhthm with nice responsive smooth leads. Next thing I'm going to try is running it to a 2X12 extension cab, I know I want something with a closed back and am leaning towards vintage 30's. I heard they work well with this amp. I was sooo close to giving up on this and trying a stilleto/laney/jcm800 but am happy I didn't. Though I think I'd still like to try a stilleto ace.

Latest posts

Back