Help me find the right amp!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings Boogie f(r)iends. I'm looking for a Mesa amp, but I'm not sure which one to get. I like to play a broad range of music, jazz, blues, rock, some metal. I need a very diverse amp. I would prefer a combo. I have a 4x12 cabinet, but I hate hauling it out of the house. I like my cleans to be clean and warm, my rhythm to be chunky, but I also want to be able to get that huge Mesa Recto sound.

Thanks for any guidance!

Adam

I can't really say welcome, 'cuz this is only my 2nd post but welcome anyway...

It all depends on how much are you willing to spend... but I'm sure all those styles are covered with a Road King...

Hope it helps...

If you're budget doesn't allow, you might also try to either find a used F series or one of the new Express models. It won't necessarily get you into true recto territory, but it will get you easily into the jazz, blues, rock arena and is a fairly easy to transport package. If you want more drive you can add a stompbox. This would keep your weight and cost down, but if you're after all of the above plus the Mesa rectifier sound, then you'd be looking at the Roadster or the Road King. Those combos would weigh in excess of 100 lbs.

All the aforementioned amps are great - considering you have a budget for it, and again, an F-series or Express are probably some of the most versatile Mesa's, and they aren't too bad on the wallet either.

I was about to recommend the Single Rectifier Rectoverb combo, of if you can find it, a used Dual Rectifier Tremoverb. Both should be around the 1300-1600 range and will definitely be the easiest and 'smallest' way to get into the Recto sound ( I mean, they are both rectifiers!). Also, their clean tones aren't that bad. They aren't blow you away fat jazz clean tones, but they are definitely usable in a band situation.

I should also point out that you should really ask yourself how badly you need any particular sound. While the F-series and Express' both are very versatile - in IMO they are jacks of all trades, master of none amps. An F-series can approximate the Recto sound, but a Recto will do the job much better, and so on.

If you're willing to compromise, pretty much any of the aforementioned amps will work. However, IMO only a Recto sounds and plays like a Recto - which i learned the hard way.

Either way good luck.

The recto blast isn't a necessity, but I would like to get heavy saturated distortion. I will have pedals in the mix, so I could push it with a high gain pedal if need be.

I'm think I'm leaning toward a rectoverb. I should look at the local Mesa dealers and see what they have. I'll definitely be playing a few before I plunk down the cake.

I did a bit of research today and I am having mixed results. I have it narrowed down to a few, but between those few I am utterly lost. I was looking at Rectoverbs, but then I found the Tremoverb. It seems infinitely complex, with channel cloning and a bazillion knobs. But between the Rectro and Tremo, whats the difference in sound? I know the obvious, trem and dual rectification, but can anyone point out some pros and cons of the Tremoverb?

Thanks for everything guys,

Adam

lowendgenerator said:
I did a bit of research today and I am having mixed results. I have it narrowed down to a few, but between those few I am utterly lost. I was looking at Rectoverbs, but then I found the Tremoverb. It seems infinitely complex, with channel cloning and a bazillion knobs. But between the Rectro and Tremo, whats the difference in sound? I know the obvious, trem and dual rectification, but can anyone point out some pros and cons of the Tremoverb?

Thanks for everything guys,

Adam

Hey Adam,

Rectoverb is 50 watts and diode rectified w/ reverb

Tremoverb is essentially a Dual Rectifier w/ more options.. 100 watts and a choice of tube or diode rectification.

Sound wise, they'll both give you the 'Mesa Rectifier' sound however the Tremoverb is really the true voice of that sound as it's a Dual Rectifier underneath the covers.

You have to go with what makes sense for you. 100W is pretty overkill for bedroom or garage band practice though not impossible. Usability is important too.. if you are overwhemled with knobs and switches it's harder to buckle down and get to making music! It all depends on you though Adam, I'm a knob fiddler myself so I love having the options, even if I don't use them.. some people are used to no frills one or two channel amps. There is definetly a learning curve with a Boogie... take it slow, read the manual very carefully and have fun!

There really are no 'cons' to any of the Mesa amps I've tried, it just depends on what you're looking for!

You really can't beat a MarkIV for versatility in a combo amp.. but it doesn't have the recto sound. I think it sounds more brutal personally but it's a very different voice than the rectos. I like the Recto combos I've played but to me, the DR must be experience through a 4x12/head setup.. but that's my opinion so don't let it cloud yours.

Definetly see if you can find an F50 combo.. they're blowing them out across GuitarCenters in the US from what I've read. The 'contour' mode gives you a very convincing Recto sound but also a great clean tone where most recto's I've played aside from the RK and Roadster have very lackluster clean tones.

Now I surely can't argue with the Mark IV, but I've never played the Rect series, so can't comment. However, with all the Class A interest these days, how about a Lone Star Special head??

The Rectoverb will definitely get you almost any of the tones that you were talking about.

The Tremoverb will certainly get you those tones as well. As for the options, they are very easy to use, or not use. If you don't need Channel Cloning, don't use it. I've had 3 Dual Rectifiers and have never used the Cloning feature. It is for making both channels the same, then you can adjust the EQ or Volume for a different or Lead tone.

They are both great amps. If you play with a loud band, or plan to, you might want to go with the Tremoverb because the Cleans will be louder before the break up. Plus it has the Tube Rectifier which will get you into more vintage tone territory.

The Mark IV will get you any of those tones too, but be prepared to spend some time with it. If you think the Tremoverb looks daunting, I wouldn't reccomend the Mark IV.

Latest posts

Back