Help me find my tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRIPxCORE

Reaction score
I have been searching for a great metal tone for as long as I have been playing. What I currently use is pretty irrelevant. All the players whose tone I like use either Mesa's or Randall's. I have focused my attention on Mesa's and hope you can help me since I have zero experience with Mesa's on any level and you all have lots.

I play metal music mainly. I am not a lead player so I am not looking for lead tone either. I want crunchy, chunky, blistering distortion that is clean and clear at the same time. If I am playing individual notes, I want them to be articulated and not all mushed together.

I loved Dimebag Darrells tone with mid 90's Pantera. How about getting a tone that is Pantera, Metallica on the Black album, current Fear Factory and John Petrucci all rolled into one. Heavy, clear, tight and brutal all at the same time.

What would provide this to me the best way.

Mark IV? Dual or Triple Rec? Triaxis?

Thanks in advance! :D

Rectifiers are the most brutal amps (not only amongst mesa amps to me), but because of their low end "sag" and their inherent tonal qualities, they can not stay very very tight. Rectifiers are perfect for deep and crushing heavy distorted chords: think about nu-metal choruses... not to say they aren't suited to classic metal however.
MarkIV can go close to the Recto in terms of brutality with a good 4x12 and a proper setting, but it is very very tight and articulated and the best solution for fast heavy metal riffs (think older Metallica, until Black Album). It may be not of your interest but MkIV is the best solution even for soloing.

You may want to check out a Mark III if you don't mind buying used. They are a more aggressive heavy tone than a Mark IV and very tight. They are not voiced modern nu-metal but will give you a good DT or Metallica sound and I would guess a good Pantera sound.

TRIPxCORE said:
I have been searching for a great metal tone for as long as I have been playing. What I currently use is pretty irrelevant. All the players whose tone I like use either Mesa's or Randall's. I have focused my attention on Mesa's and hope you can help me since I have zero experience with Mesa's on any level and you all have lots.

I play metal music mainly. I am not a lead player so I am not looking for lead tone either. I want crunchy, chunky, blistering distortion that is clean and clear at the same time. If I am playing individual notes, I want them to be articulated and not all mushed together.

I loved Dimebag Darrells tone with mid 90's Pantera. How about getting a tone that is Pantera, Metallica on the Black album, current Fear Factory and John Petrucci all rolled into one. Heavy, clear, tight and brutal all at the same time.

What would provide this to me the best way.

Mark IV? Dual or Triple Rec? Triaxis?

Thanks in advance! :D

Do you like Eric Peterson's sound on The Gathering? he used dual rectifier with emg81 and duncan distortion pups. I saw in another thread the triple rectifier was used for the Testament's Demonic album.

Do you like both recents Dream theather (John Petrucci's) albums it's a markIV (less brutal than rectifiers but very beautiful distortion). If you love the Lamb of God's sound then there's no doubt you're made for a mark IV!

On the Black album there is too many amps....

Randall are great amps too i'd like to try few of those to find out which one's the best...

As i'm always saying go and try those amp (especially with somebody who know how to tweek them).

Edited: i forgot about it...if you want a very crunchy sound the Bill Lawrence L-600XL pickup should be great with the rectifier. The L-500XL has been popularized by Dimebag but don't be fooled by what everybody are saying without to know the L-600XL, it's new and far better than L-500 for crunch and heavy Rhythm! I think you're better with this pup and rectifier (first generation if you don't need the clean channel so much).

Martin.

If you can afford it. Mesa/Bogie MKII C+

The favored Metallica and DT amp.

MKIII and Quad is also worth it. With the right settings a Quad nails that Metallica tone.

Settings can be seen here:

http://www.sweetsilence.com/Gearslutznotes.htm

Latest posts

Back