Help me find Mark V love again?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocknRory

Reaction score
After selling my Line 6 412 with "Custom Line 6" V30s, getting my new Mills Acoustics 212, pickup swapping to BKP Nailbombs, and moving from Hawaii to Washington DC, I feel like I'm losing love for my Mark V.

I've swapped the preamp tubes from the normal mesa ones to dougs tube cocktail from dougstubes.com with a Tungsol in V1 and High Gain JJ in V2 etc. I only have my one electric, my LTD EC-1000 with changed pickups. Before I used to play a lot of metal, and I still do occasionally, but I've been more into alternative rock/ hard rock / Muse / chili pepper / Tool kind of stuff. I'm mostly confused with the graphics EQ now and channel 3. I've been liking channel 2 crunch more than any modes on channel 3 also. I find channel 3 very trebly compared to channel 2 but thats expected, its high gain. My ear for tone is constantly on the move because just 4months ago I used to keep the presence at around 1:30 all the time, now its more 10:00-12:00.

I'm thinking this might have something to do with V30 speaker break in, bad EQing on my part, maybe the room im playing in (a garage with hard walls).

Any suggestions to renew my love for my Mark V? I don't think I want to take the leap to EL34s as I love the cleans I have already but who knows, maybe I'll try some eventually. How are Mesa 6L6s compared to other power tubes such as SED Winged Cs? I really don't want to go out on the prowl for another amp but if I don't rediscover this bad boy I may. Any tips or tricks are appreciated. I'll probably read the manual again today.

If you're leaning more towards channel 2 I'd suggest trying out a set of EL34s. The cleans will loose some of their depth and shimmer, but the dirt has a better bark to it and the top end sizzle is tamed a fair bit. I consider the slight loss on the cleans worth the improvement on the dirt, but my tastes may be different than yours so it's hard to say.

Another suggestion is putting the amp up on a shipping pallet. I used to play in my basement (concrete floor with hard walls) and it made pretty much every amp sound like junk. Thin/trebly with little bottom end. I haven't tried the pallet trick my self (I moved my amps upstairs), but I read that it helped so I figure I'll pass it on.

Lastly, I found these to be a really useful starting point (scroll down near the bottom);

http://www.johnpetrucci.com/gear.htm

When I first started out I had a really negative bias against using 'Extreme' mode. I already own a Recto, and I bought the amp for a 'Mark' sound and I thought Extreme was an attempt to get it into Recto/Nu-Metal territory. I was never 100% satisfied with the IIC+ or IV modes and wound up using channel 1 and 2 more and more until I dialled in Petrucci's settings and really grew to like Extreme mode after a couple of days. I later re-read the manual and discovered that "Extreme" is actually a Mark IV with the presence pot pushed in. It definitely has that Mesa/Modern High Gain flavour, but it's nothing like a Recto. and I find Extreme offers a better contrast to the sounds I was getting out of channel 2 Crunch.

Don't know if any of that will help or not...

Check your cables. Put the stock tubes back in. Dial in tones eq off. Add and tweak eq. Smile.

The V is full of useful tones. I do agree that it is a high gain monster, but you can use the amp for all sorts of genres (sp?).

You may want to take a different approach to dial the amp in and just start over. I did and I couldn't be happier. For instance, turn the gain down and use IIC+. Or play around with EDGE.

I didn't fall in love with my Mark V until after I put EL34's in it, and I just use the Mesa version (yellow). I have never changed any of the other tubes. I really believe you should at least try the EL34's before giving up. I actually really like the cleans now even though they are slightly different than the 6L6's were. In fat/bold mode I really can't find that big of a difference. I have found that ever since the switch to EL34's I have been slowly reducing gain, presence and treble as my ears adjusted to the new sound. This may also help you get rid of some of the unwanted treble. I tend to play more rock/metal genre music and I've also found it easier to get the tones I like better at lower volumes. That would be my first suggestion.

Second, see if you can find a big thick carpet remnant and put it down in your garage. You may want to consider some type of foam material for the walls to cut down on the bounce, but I really think that covering the floor (or at least part of it) would help. Take your casters off and set it directly down on the carpet to increase low freq response.

Once you do all this, spend time with just your guitar and amp with no effects and work on dialing things in a bit and give your ears some time to adjust. I think you will like what you hear. Hope this helps!

Try a differant guitar. I use a Les Paul dc cutaway and I find it hard to make a sound I don't like. I think the V works really well with Gibson. I have a power Tele and I have to work Much harder to get a balanced sound. That being said however The clean sounds I can get from the Tele are amazing . I agree with whoever said to put the stock tubes in and try again.

Thanks for all the help guys. I did what scary told me to do along with using info I just refreshed from reading the manual again and tweaking with EQ off and then adding it and tweaking a little more lets me achieve some great sounds. I also just switched the preamp tubes to the mesa ones besides V1 with a tungsol and it sounds okay, but I think I prefer the tones with the non-mesa preamps. In the future I will definitely buy a quad of good EL34s and 6L6s to experiment and let my tonal palate go crazy. I'll sell some stuff and see what I can get.

Screamingdaisy, I tried using Extreme a little more (been using IIC+ and Mk IV mode) and I actually really like it. It's chunkier and less buzzy in the mid range compared to Mark IV. I'm sure I'll find some more great tones with time. I'll also try to dampen the room a bit with some rugs. I should be on the way to Mark V recovery now :wink: hopefully I fall in love all over again with time.

Last thing, how do Mark V's sound with a band in a rock kind of genre? I haven't gotten the chance to play with a band yet but me and a friend plan to get one started so I can't wait.

Try Using the pre EQ that works well . As far as a band setting...Its amazing..Thats when it really happens. The amp just sits so well "in the mix" You can really appreciate the tonal voicing of the amp in that setting. The guys I play with have all commmented on My vastly improved sound. They call My amp "The Beast".. 8)

Hmm, I'm thinking about upgrading to high quality cables. I've researched it a bit and Mogami seems like the way to go. Right now I'm using some cheapo $12 cables and I figured, hey, it has a lifetime warranty on it, why not. What kind of cables do you guys use?

Monsters..Have had good sucess with them...In the past 6 or 7 years of heavy gig use only had 2 go bad..one was the plug itself came loose on the shaft and the other where I loop it through my guitar strap..but I am sure there are better cables out there for a price. I like the Monster lifetime deal.

I use Mogami for guitar to amp and the effects loop. I use a Monster cable to connect the Mark V to the cab.

I read your posts and I got to thinking...Look out... so I'm just going to throw this out there.
This is genuine dbone from the heart advice.
My advice....
Stop chasing tone and start creating it.
Create your tone through your own music.
The Mark V amp is a tool for your own personal expression.
Take a few of those jam ideas you've come up with on your own and assemble them into a song structure. Start with something simple and proceed from there.
The tones you will need from the Mark V will depend highly on what sort of style you end up creating in your music and that music you create will guide your hand as you dial the amp.
The simple act of creation of music will solve this riddle of tone.
Get that drummer and a place to play (maybe that garage and yes drummerchas was right you need some big carpet scraps to mellow that room and a drummer needs carpet to keep his kit from runnung away from him) and find a bass player and singer.
It's not going to be perfect the first time, and its going to take some work.
But by all means get to it because the real rewards are playing in a band.
The rest will work itself out.

dbone said:
I read your posts and I got to thinking...Look out... so I'm just going to throw this out there.
This is genuine dbone from the heart advice.
My advice....
The Mark V amp is a tool for your own personal expression.
Take a few of those jam ideas you've come up with on your own and assemble them into a song structure. Start with something simple and proceed from there.
The tones you will need from the Mark V will depend highly on what sort of style you end up creating in your music and that music you create will guide your hand as you dial the amp.
The simple act of creation of music will solve this riddle of tone.
Get that drummer and a place to play (maybe that garage and yes drummerchas was right you need some big carpet scraps to mellow that room and a drummer needs carpet to keep his kit from runnung away from him) and find a bass player and singer.
It's not going to be perfect the first time, and its going to take some work.
But by all means get to it because the real rewards are playing in a band.
The rest will work itself out.

Exactly this man. Today I said screw it after changing the tubes around and whatnot, and I just turned it up and started making up random licks. I also did the same on the acoustic a little bit later. It was refreshing and I definitely will get a bassist and drummer in here. My friend, who will be our singer, is buying a PA for practice so were set for that. Btw Boogiemon, I just got my MIlls Mach212B with V30s and at first I didn't like it that much but it is growing on me every second. I'm really loving the tone from it but I will definitely try some different speakers in the future. I've also ordered some Mogami Gold 18ft cables and Planet wave cables patch cables for everything in front of the amp. I really need a new speaker cable and I plan to buy a Monster one at guitar center soon as my current speaker cable is some B stock 10ft one I got at a local music store a while back, for free. Speaking of which, how long is your guys speaker cables? I'm wondering if 3ft is good enough, or if I should get 6. I'll measure the distance between my amp and cab.

Great. Take the high road.

But, hey. It's fun being geeky too.

And, not all tone is in your hands. Some of it really is in the equipment.

grin.

Ok guys, I think I'm starting to fall in love again :D

I've been playing for a good 3-5hrs today in the garage with the Output at around 10-11:00 and seriously, I don't know what was wrong with me. Oh and when I said 3-5hrs playing, I meant PLAYING. Only 15 or so minutes were small changes throughout my jam. I think the Vintage 30s are starting to sound better too. :)

I love to keep the gain on crunch at around 2:00-2:30 and use my volume knob to get various different levels of gain and the dynamics just fly out when softly picking with the guitar volume slightly down. I stomp on my overdrive pedal if I need some extra chunk for leads. I also managed to get some awesome tones with the humbuckers coil-split. I experimented with tweed and I managed to get some great RHCP slightly overdriven percussive sounds (Can't Stop.) I didn't mess around with channel 3 that much but when I did I enjoyed it all. Extreme mode rocks. Eventually I'll find a use for IIC+ and Mark IV but I'm really enjoying the chunk and openness of Extreme. Is there any way I can get a Tweed glassy kind of clean breakup on channel 2? Possible in crunch or maybe edge?

I'd love to have a nice strat and a Gibson les paul or PRS or something. Thats the next thing I'll save for, but I'm pretty happy with my EC-1000 right now.

RocknRory said:
Thanks for all the help guys. I did what scary told me to do along with using info I just refreshed from reading the manual again and tweaking with EQ off and then adding it and tweaking a little more lets me achieve some great sounds. I also just switched the preamp tubes to the mesa ones besides V1 with a tungsol and it sounds okay, but I think I prefer the tones with the non-mesa preamps. In the future I will definitely buy a quad of good EL34s and 6L6s to experiment and let my tonal palate go crazy. I'll sell some stuff and see what I can get.

Screamingdaisy, I tried using Extreme a little more (been using IIC+ and Mk IV mode) and I actually really like it. It's chunkier and less buzzy in the mid range compared to Mark IV. I'm sure I'll find some more great tones with time. I'll also try to dampen the room a bit with some rugs. I should be on the way to Mark V recovery now :wink: hopefully I fall in love all over again with time.

Last thing, how do Mark V's sound with a band in a rock kind of genre? I haven't gotten the chance to play with a band yet but me and a friend plan to get one started so I can't wait.

Well dude, that's your problem! The Mark V is not a low volume, solo amp. It is awesome in a band context. Your going to love it!

Hendog said:
RocknRory said:

Well dude, that's your problem! The Mark V is not a low volume, solo amp. It is awesome in a band context. Your going to love it!

It's alot easier to get killer, authentic tube amp sounds at low volumes witht hte mark V than any other amp i've found. Of course everything tube sounds the best in it's power band.

Back