Help me choose the correct OD pedal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kaz said:
One thing that sometimes you may have to work around though, I find, with an OD is for that insane crunch rhythm it's usually wise to back the gain down a little bit on the amp (like for me it's channel 4) so that things stay under control when I kick in the boost.

But the OCD totally added a new dimension to my amp cause like you said, in addition to the 4 sounds I already like, I have 4 more I can use at will with a single stomp.

true... i did knock off a little gain on channel 4, but i think it is better that way because i was recently trying to use channel 4 for a lead sound so i had a little more gain. With the OCD i can use channel 4 as a adam jones-esk rhythm sound w/o the OCD and a lead tone with the OCD.

The Maxon OD808 wouldn't be bad...I'd check out these as well if possible:

Menatone Blue Collar
Menatone Red Snapper

I have both. Though I don't usually use them to jack up the front end of my F-50-I like their tones by themselves-I have experimented, and they work great for that application. The Red Snapper has a much more transparent EQ curve to it, while the Blue Collar is more of a Tubescreamer with more gain and more balls.

I heard the OCD can be operated in 2 voltages. is there a great difference in the tone?

All the Xotic stuff is great.... I have the BB preamp and I really like the tone controls on it, you can dial in less or more bass and treble and really get whatever sound your after. I personally don't like EQ's for anything accept fine tuning to compensate for different types of rooms but, if your buying an eq to try to make your amp sound better, you may be using the wrong amp to begin with.

Hi,

Just wondering which version of the OCD your using- I understand there are different 4 ones!

What are the differences?

/gaz

kissing said:
I heard the OCD can be operated in 2 voltages. is there a great difference in the tone?

yeah there is the LP (Low Peak) and the HP (High Peak). The low peak setting is very transparent and doesn't really eq your tone. Essentially you get your tone with a little more volume and a little more drive depending on your settings. The High peak is more tube screamer like with a little more mid hump added. There is definitely more of a "hotter" feel with HP but if your after the tube screamer effect than HP is the way to go. Honestly thats why i ended up going with the OCD. I like having the option of those two voicings (it would be killer if i could switch between them with my RG-16 :twisted: ).

garylowe4 said:
Hi,

Just wondering which version of the OCD your using- I understand there are different 4 ones!

/gaz

you know i thought there was 4 versions too but when i open mine up i sware it says "ver 5" under the lid. If it is not version five i'm going to assume its version 4 because its brand new. Other than that i'm not sure wat the differences are but the version 1's seem to be going for a hell of a lot mroe than i payed for mine. i saw one guy on HC selling the version 1 for like $250 and it was gone within an hour.

I use an OCD, and I love the tone. I find it's not totally transparent, but adds its own flavor, I just happen to love the taste.

It's really nice to have the switch from LP/HP. I use different amps, different bands, different guitars, different styles, and it's nice that the pedal is essentially 2 in one.

I wouldn't call it dark metal to be sure, but it's great classic overdrive.

garylowe4 said:
Hi,

/gaz

found this before... lots of good info

http://www.pedalarea.com/ocd.htm

NDRU said:
I use an OCD, and I love the tone. I find it's not totally transparent, but adds its own flavor, I just happen to love the taste.

It's really nice to have the switch from LP/HP. I use different amps, different bands, different guitars, different styles, and it's nice that the pedal is essentially 2 in one.

I wouldn't call it dark metal to be sure, but it's great classic overdrive.

well that was what was so hard about finding the right OD. Each one is based on a similar design but each one can offer its own flavor because it will always have a little coloration even when used as a clean boost. The key for me was trying everyone i could get my hands on either on my amp at home or a roadster in a store.

The OCD definitely reacts different with different amps. I was over my buddies house the other night because he was going through a tone crisis and he needed some guidance (he's an incredible player but knows very little about gear). anyway i brought the OCD along but we ended up going to GC first. he tried all these different guitars and amps but nothing was what he had in his head (although the prs mccarty through the mesa 5:50 had him salavating but it was too much $$$).

Anyway to make a long story short he didnt buy anything but a new set of strings at a lower gauge than his 13s. When we got back he restrung his fender SRV and i setup the OCD in front of his Cyber Twin and man did his amp just come alive. He basically ahd the gear the whole time that got him his tone but between moving down to 11s and using the OCD he was getting almost exactly what he was looking for. That OD made the world of difference between unloading everything and starting new, to being satisfied and just doing what he does best: playing.

Got a little side tracked there, but my point was that the OCD sounded better to my ear infront of his cyber twin than it does infront of my mesa. Not saying the mesa sounds bad but what it did to that hybrid amp was nothing short of amazing.

Definitely, and even the same gear seems to sound different on different nights.

I had been using the OCD at about 10:00 gain on HP, then moved to 12:00 gain LP. Last night it sounded so fizzy on my F-30. I went to 9:00 HP and it sounded amazing once again.

One constant for the OCD is I don't like the gain too high. It had crept up to 12:00 but I've never used it past there. And perhaps I don't like it as high on my Mesa as on my Fender?

NDRU said:
Definitely, and even the same gear seems to sound different on different nights.

I had been using the OCD at about 10:00 gain on HP, then moved to 12:00 gain LP. Last night it sounded so fizzy on my F-30. I went to 9:00 HP and it sounded amazing once again.

One constant for the OCD is I don't like the gain too high. It had crept up to 12:00 but I've never used it past there. And perhaps I don't like it as high on my Mesa as on my Fender?

i keep it floating between 9 and 10. it sounded awesome at like 3 on my buddies cyber twin but i think that has to do with the totally different preamps (especially since its a hybrid). but for the roadster 10 is really all i need.

hey guys,

I know its inappropriate in this post but i just bought a MXR KFK EQ, and to my amazement, it opened a whole new tone for me! In the cleans, i can hear clearly all the dynamics of my piking which i couldnt hear in my Boss GE7. i am not saying the Boss is no good, but the MXR really showed me more!

Sorry i am not really good at describing tones.

By the way, i also bouoght the DC Brick and i am starting to hear alot of "hums", is there any way to stop this? i saw reviews in Harmony Central and people were saying this was one of the minus points for the brick.

Thanks

kissing said:
hey guys,

I know its inappropriate in this post but i just bought a MXR KFK EQ, and to my amazement, it opened a whole new tone for me! In the cleans, i can hear clearly all the dynamics of my piking which i couldnt hear in my Boss GE7. i am not saying the Boss is no good, but the MXR really showed me more!

Sorry i am not really good at describing tones.

By the way, i also bouoght the DC Brick and i am starting to hear alot of "hums", is there any way to stop this? i saw reviews in Harmony Central and people were saying this was one of the minus points for the brick.

Thanks

i have the dc brick and really havent had those problems

Latest posts

Back