Help!! DC-3 or DC-5?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirius

Reaction score
Hi! I'm about to get a new amp and can choose between a DC-3 - and a DC-5 combo. The DC-5 is 200$ more, but includes a hardcase.

Opinions on which to choose? I have little experience with Boogies, but compared one to a peavey classic 30 once, and from that moment i think a used boogie kicks a new peaveys butt :)

How much bigger and heavier is the DC-5? Are the tonal differences big? I don't play any huge venues, so the DC-3 would probably play loud enough for me.

One thing is that the DC-3 would be shipped to me, but the DC-5 I can go and see before i buy it. Both is said to be in good condition (DC-5 "like new").

Leaning toward the 5 myself, what do you guys with experience think?!

Thanks!

Go for the DC-5.
Any combo will always sound better in a bigger cabinet.
That is why I chose the widebody Mark IV instead of the regular size combo.

Checking the amp out in person and being able to take it home without the chance of shipping is priceless.
Just that is worth the difference.

The hardcase in the deal is also worth the difference.

Let us know how you like the DC-5. :wink:

REally depends on how you're planning to use the amp and what type of sound you're going for. Both are great little amps, bith are loud as hell. The DC-3 weighs a little less.

The tonal characteristics are different. The DC-3 runs with EL84 power tubes, whereas the DC-5 has the 6L6s. The only word I can think of that captures the sound of the DC-3 it's "chime". It has a definite Vox type of vibe, but it's more souped up (if that makes any sense).

The shortcoming of the DC-3 is that although it's plenty loud, you run out of clean headroom a littl earlier than you do with the DC-5. For me - that's not a bad thing - I like to drive the preamp and power amp hard to give the amp more of a spongy feel. Some players don't like that.

When I got my DC-3 brand new all those years ago, I had the opportunity to play the DC-5 as well (and have been able to use one on and off sonce then too). I still prefer the DC-3 because it's very compact, and does exactly what I need it to do. Great cleans and very liquid overdrive. But fwiw, the DC-5 is also very adept at what it does. If at all possible try both before you buy.

I bought the DC-5. Didn't have the opportunity to play the dc 3. The amp is from 95 or so and is mint contition (can you get the exact production year from the serial number?). So far I'm really impressed with all the different sounds it seems to be able to deliver! The only downside is that it is a heavier and bigger than my old amp.

How do you guys use the eq? So far I've had it engaged all the time, mostly in set like a V.

Looking forward to tweak and see what is to discover. Also looking forward to gig with it this weekend, woo.

cheers!

Latest posts

Back