HELP!!! DC-10 WITH EXTENSION CAB?????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrojo72

Reaction score
Hi,a newbie obviously,
I have a dc-10 which i love to death and have just purchased a 2 by 12 cabinet fitted with celestion v30's,got it for a bargain.
The dc-10 is fitted with shadows,90 watts each,plugged into the 16 ohm plug @ the back of the boogie(standard).The extension cab as i said has 2 v30's @16ohms each.
NOW????
On the back of the extension cab it has 2 inputs @ 16 ohm each and 1 8ohm input in the middle of the 2 16's.My friend who is a tech savvy kinda guy believed my cab wouldnt work without unplugging the 16ohm from the amp(shadows)in order for the extension cab to work,i got home a bit upset believing him as i thought i'd just wasted $200 on a cab that wouldnt run with the amp speakers as i seem to want lotsa speakers.
Anyway,on the dc-10 as most of you guys know has 1 16ohm input (occupied by the 2 shadows in the amp),2 8 ohm inputs and 2 4ohm inputs.I got home,plugged the cab(8ohm socket)into the dc-10(8ohm socket)and all 4 speakers are working.Maybe i didnt get much of a chance to explain it enough to my friend,though i thought i put it pretty clear,but he's flat out lately,@ the end of the day,AM I DOING ANY DAMAGE @ ALL TO MY BOOGIE,the shadows seem to overpower the v30's but its all there @ the minute,your thoughts and knowledge would be much appreciated,also anyone know of somebody that has a boogie reverb switch(1 button) for a dc-10 for sale,i'd be much appreciative,sorry to ramble on so much. :shock: I think i'm a dumb arse

Just spoke to my friend again and he explained that it must balanced,told you i was a dumb arse,i might replace the shadows with the v30's as they seem to be much warmer than the shadows.Any suggestions?
The shadows are 8 ohms each.

It sounds like your impedences are all mismatched, which can be one explanaition as to why one pair is louder than the other. Of course the other possibility is that the sensitivity of the MC90s is higher than that of the v30s, so the former will be simply be louder for the same given input.

So let's get this straight:

As for your cab, each v30 is 16ohms, and the center jack represents the resultant 8ohm load with the two spkrs wired in parallel.

Your MC90s are 8 ohm each? (confirm this, look on the back), but are wired in series, such that it is going into the 16ohm tap? Can you verify that they are wired in series or parallel ...this is important.

Edward

Whatever you do "DO NOT POWER ON YOUR AMP WITHOUT LOADS"!!!!!!!
You gonna damage it for sure.

jrojo72 said:
WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY LOADS?
not up with all the tech talk,uneducated :shock:
To a tube amp, the speaker acts as a load. If you turn on a tube amp with the speaker disengaged you will fry the output transformer, a very expensive part of your amp.

If you drive a tube amp without a speaker plugged in , it will attempt to drive whatever is present .
The atmosphere between the plug contacts .
a nearly infinite resistance . Minus whatever .

It is not unlikely that "Boogiebabies" knows the exact value ,(it varies with humidity & particulate content) but anyway ,
mere wire cannot withstand such extended punishment for long .
Bad smells ....... Foofed output transformer . Lamentation , etc ....

Whenever I pull the power cord out of my combo , before hitting the pwr switch , checking the speaker connections is first on the list .

These amp's will last nearly forever with a yearly checkup and some user sensitivity to their needs ...

:D

i may not be up with most of the tech talk,but have never and will never run the amp without the speakers being disconnected,i'm just trying to get 4 speakers running thru the dc-10,thats all,i do know the quality aspect of my amp,i am well aware this is not to be fucked with and am not a boogie baby,just wanted some advice,thanks

Back