Hello. Question about Cabs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soheil

Reaction score
Hi guys.
It's my first post here but i'm a long time reader. I have a question about cabs... right now i have a DR with a Marshall 1960A cab. I'm not that pleased with my lead sound (Channel Orange Vintage Mode) through the cab, and the tone that I'm diggin' is some Dream Theater/JP's solo album solo tone (I know that tone is in the hands) so I know that i need a cab with V30s speaker.

The problem is here in Iran you can't find boogie products. the best stuff here are these marshall 1960 cabs with 12-75 speakers. so I try to import a cab from U.S. now my question is:

is a Boogie 1x12 cab is good enough for getting that DT/JP ish solo tone with DR or a 2x12 is essential? I don't want to buy a 4x12 coz i want something that are not that loud and heavy to carry around. and I have a 4x12 right now. So i'm planning on either a 1x12 v30 cab or 2x12 v30 cab. So help me out, a 1x12 is enough or getting at least a 2x12 for Dt tones are essential? thanks guys...

If you are running a DR then you need at least 2 v30's if you plan on using that particular speaker. The output of the DR will absolutely kill any single V30. There is a way around that though. Buy yourself 4 yellowjackets and a quad of EL84's and you will be able to play through a single v30. It is probably better though if you just get the 2x12. Granted, the 2x12 will still be quite loud but it won't be like a 4x12 loud. In a single you might try something with higher wattage than a v30. The problem is that a v30 only maxes at 60 watts. Your amp will put out nearly double that at peaks. There is the option of removing a couple tubes and changing your impedance to run a single v30, but why do that? Just get the 2x12...

Can you buy two V30s and replace the speakers in the Marshall? I'm in the same boat right now with my RKII. I built to cabs and have different speakers in them and I'm not really happy. I think I'm just going to buy to V30s and see how I like them.

You could replace any speakers in the Marshall cab. There are many that like to use an x-pattern of V30's and the 75's in theirs. Just be sure to match impedance with whatever speakers that you use to replace the ones in the cab and the ones already in the cab that you intend to replace for easier matching of ohm loads otherwise you may have to get creative with your wiring.

Thanks Guys.
the problem is I can't find a V30 speaker here in iran, so the only solution is buying a cab from outside of the iran.
I have another question, If i want to get a 1x12 roadster cab, I know that it's a 60w cab, So if i use my Dual Recto without two inner power tube as mesa manual said it will be a 50 watts head, so there wont be a damage risk for my head or cab right? i mean 50 watt head and 60 watt cab (1x12) is it right or i am missing something here?

Back