Heartbreaker Contentment

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stash49

Reaction score
I just got backfrom a great gig with my recently aquired heartbreaker 2x12. Befor this I had a 50 cal., and I have played on some triple recs through 4x12s, but I don't do metal. I do heavy blues based jamrock. (Think warrem hayes meet Jerry Garcia.) The HB jams majorly! Is it really worth getting a lone star, or stilleto, or roadster? Are they REALLY that much better? I play 3-4 hour gigs in crowded bars and occational outdoor concerts. There is NO WAY I can tell what an amp is going to be like on a gig by playing in the music store. Does mesa hype everything as being dramatic improvements. Granted the LSS has the most beautiful, almost unbelievable cleans, but given the fact the HB was going for old school sound, does any thing else by mesa really compare to it, and is it not in fact one the best mesa amps ever? If not, why not?

I think for your style the HB is just great, I love mine with a single coil guitars.

On cleans my preference goes to the Maverick 4x10.

Congratullations and enjoy that monster.

The Heartbreaker, in my opinion, is THE best amp Boogie has ever made period, especially for blues. It is also EXTREMLY underappreciated. Oddly enough though, everywhere I go, the HB has almost a cult following because more and more people are getting turned on to them and really digging them. I have had mine next to a Marshall plexi 50 and a plexi 100. The HB sounded almost identical when properly dialed in, but the HB had more bottom end in each case and also had the flexability to have more gain than a plexi.

The big used music store, Atomic, goes through alot of gear, and the guys are Not on commision! They let me a/b amps all day today, and comapered to every other amp in the store, marshalls, boogies, fenders, etc., (incuding a bunch of rediculously expesive amps, the Heartbreaker sounded BADASSS, and everybody in the store knew it. What I needed was more crunch-not the HB's forte, but when I cleaned up my signal chain, which (was-eb volume, crybaby wah, ts, boss metal zone, boss delay, ZOOM choir, and Holy Grail reverb) I realized how killer the HB wants to sound. Using the boss mz on the clean I got the best sound ever! I am very hardpressed to find a more versatile amp. I guess the roadster or roadking is better. But I am real happy. Thanks for the dittos on the HB greatness-I just need to check and make sure I was self delusionary.

Congrads on the HB find. I could go on and on about the HB; it would take me hours to detail the flexability of that amp. Boogie made a big mistake by not making them anymore in my opinion.
I will pass on a secret though. Get yourself a P90 guitar. I prefer a Gibson Historic Reissue Les Paul Junior or Special. Set channel one (the clean channel) to high gain and dime it out. Set your EQ to taste and check out the tone on the bridge P90. It's unequalled!
You scored a great amp! Enjoy.

Glad to see some other people loving their Heartbreaker. I got mine last month. The previous owner really babied it and it was in great condition when i got it. Plus it was in the red/maroon <?> leather finish. Really nice to look at too! Anyway, I really am getting into playing more now. I was playing thru a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or a Peavey Delta Blues 15. they were nice but had nowhere near the sound the Heartbreaker has. It seems I find a new sound every time i play it. It took a couple of weeks for me to get a good sound but now its perfect for blues and rock. I use mostly my SG Classic with P90's in it but my Tele sounds great too. I have tried it with my Hamer Newport Pro and its ok. The single coils seem to be much more responive thru it. I was lucky enough to be able to afford a few new guitars last year and now will probably sell my LP Supreme and the Hamer. Between them I may be able to afford a LP Historic or something like that. The only drawback with the Heartbreaker is it is very heavy. I have to get my teenage son to help me load it in the truck when I go out with it. Thank god it has good casters on it.
One question though: Has anyone ever hooked their Heartbreaker up to a extension cabinet? What did you think of it then? And what cab was it? Thanks!

The HB is very forgiving and works well with most any cabinet you put it through. I always use mine with a pair of 'older' 2/12 recto cabs with V30's (the old ones that were made about 10 tears ago) OR a 2/12 3/4 back with C90's. Both work equally well.

I think I am going ot look for a used Mesa cab or a Avatar cab on ebay. Cash is tight until I can sell a couple guitars (hopefully soon). Thanks!

Actually 'used' these days I believe to be a better choice. If it were me I would seek out a Mesa cab at least 3 years old. My nephew has an Avatar 4x that is around 4 years old (also has older speaks) and he loves it.

Excellent choice either way. Good luck in your search.

Heartbreaker owner here!!!

Are you all using the stock c90's? I was thinking of "borrowing" a couple of v30's from my recto std to see what it sounds like. I too play heavy blues and always looking to try different options. My buddy J swears by a v30 and greenback for 2X12. But I have also heard about a mix of v30 and g12h30 in a 2X12 setup. Speaking in a 2x12 closed cab i assume.

Any thoughts? What speakers are all of you heartbreaker users using?

Gonna be retubing with 6V6's soon as well

Thanks!

"Leave your ego,
play the music,
love the people..."
--Luther Allison

I use a 2/12 3/4 back with C-90's, a 1/12 widebody with a C-90, Recto 2/12's with 10 year old V30's (the new V30's are terrible), and a Soldano 2/12 with Eminence Legends. The HB works equally well with each of them. My understanding from Boogie years ago was that the HB adjusts equally well with most any speaker, even EV's. I would say experiment and have fun. The HB is one of Boogie's best kept secrets and under-appreciated amps ever made. It has a huge following now and are highly sought after.

The Heatbreaker is one bad MoFo! I have a friend who has a 2X12 combo in Private stock red dye quilt maple! It gives me wood when I see it. :oops:

I've been using it with a ts-9 and a Fender James Buton Tele-strat, and even the fabled roadster cannot match the sheer beauty of the tones this amp can deliver. I'll post some clips as soon as I find a quick easy way to do it.

I own 2 Heartbreakers (Head & Combo). I like using a Vox Brian May Special Amp as a boost for my HB's , as it really opens up the hidden potential of the amp. Try it you'll see. 8) 8) 8) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Yes that's the one. Use it in the input not the loop. The whole amp comes alive , even the reverb. It's a cheap alternative to using a boost pedal. My Heartbreaker never leaves the house w/out the little Vox, I even have a Tuki cover for it! :D :D 8)

Latest posts

Back