Head about to explode (DR + Mark IV content)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 on the sample settings. I recently got a Mark IV, and while it was a little unweildy at first, it wasn't that bad using the samples as starters. Now it's pretty simple. I spend less time tweaking it than I do my Roadster.

Try this on the Lead channel(pretty close to Clean/Crunch/Lead in the manual):

Gain - 7.5, pulled
Treble 5
Bass 4
Mid 4
Drive 4 - 8 (to taste), pulled
Presence 3, pulled.
Harmonics

Class A, Pentode

I like tweed power for humbuckers, full power for single coils. The triode/pentode made HUGE difference in R2 with single coils.

I use the graphic eq on everything in a tight V, with the hi end a little lower.

HTH!

Well I demoed it again with my guitar this time (7 string w/ EMG 707s) and holy crap, I finally found what I was looking for I think...

Fredster's settings got me there after a few minor tweaks of my own on the EQ. I LOVE the lead on this amp, the Lead EQ mode was just dripping with tone and had that awesome brutal yet high clarity crunch, just awesome.

This amp is actually easy to dial in after you get used to it, before I couldn't find a good tone and this time I couldn't find a bad one.. best part was that it was a 1x12 and I didn't hook up to a 4x12.. still floored me that much, and I'm going to run mine into a 2x12 recto so it will get even tighter.

It was funny, I was getting a lot of 'recto' ish tones out of it but they were much sweeter if that makes sense.. still brutal but much more fluid and 'easier to play' in a way too.

I realize there are a few differences between the 'A' and 'B' mark IV, I played a B but am considering buying an A, will I miss the 'extra gain' in the B circuit?

Thanks again for all the help with settings guys, this amp needs to be tweaked much like every other mesa and then some, even tricker than the recto at first but I found my settings quick and never touched them.. I wish Mesa would put a 5 band EQ on ALL their amps, holy crap that's what I've wanted for so long. I found a great tone but it had a bit too much mid high range sound so I just dial it back a bit and it was PERFECT, not just 'close' but *exactly* the tweak I needed, etc.

Was the 1x12 an open or closed back cab? I would suggest playing an "A" version before you decide to purchase one version or the other. The most difference seems to be in the R2 channel, to me anyway. I agree that the EQ is essential on any Mark series amp.

hey mr.plats..
stilettos or Mark IV..
which one do you think is better for heavy chugga-chuggin' riffs.. ?

Mark IV or a Rectifier for sure.

While the stiletto can get close (the stage II on fluid drive), it's not exactly the best option.

Latest posts

Back