Have you ever A/B tested 3ch DR vs recto pre/2:100

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Lonerock

Reaction score
Well
I had a recto pre few years ago (with a vht 2/50/2 power amp) and I never found the real recto sounding modern high gain)

Today I have a 3ch dual rectifer that I love and I wonder if the recto pre matched with 2:100 could do the trick for the modern high gain tone.

thanks for inputs
Chris

IMO the dual sound more bassy with endless gain. The recto pre/2:100 is more focused in mids perhaps you can put the channel master over the breakup point (with not too much gain) you'll get a very agressive,brutal attack and the bass increase so much that you have to reduce it at 9 o'clock.

With recto pre i prefer the master channel a little under the breakup point, with the a lot of gain then i increase the output for more power.

But why you look into recto pre if you have a dual? The only point here would be the clean channel but since i tried my recto pre with the 20/20 my clean doesn't look good anymore in the 2:100(it's not so bad at all, i guess i just have GAS everytime i try a new mesa...).

Personally i prefer the rectopre/2:100 to the dual but if you like the high gain sound stick with the dual. Hope this can help.

P.S. as i say to everybody...you can always go and try it at the store, you will have a better idea by testing with your own ears.

Thanks for your answer,

in fact, I already have a CAE 3+SE preamp (which is wonderful for cleans, crunchs and lead tones) and a mesa 2:90
and the 3ch DR for chunga-chunga modern high gain sounds.

the problem of the DR head is the fx loop, even moded to serial, it still bleeds, so it's not easy to use it as a power amp for the CAE pre.

My idea was to use CAE and Recto pre on 2:100, and save space (just 2 U spaces vs a 25kg head amp)

I recall that the clean tones were good with recto pre but the modern high gain tones lacks of low end... I used to use a BBE maximizer after to add basses and agressivity. but this was with a vht power amp, not the 2:100.

OMG! Your right on man, ask to SamHill, he got the same kind of setting CAE with the 2:100...yes in this case it won't be a bad idea at all. Try the the recto pre with the 2:100 as soon as possible! For my part i was going to sell my recto/2:100 for a roadking, just for being able to use the slave out for the wet section (eclipse and H8000) in a wet/dry/wet rig but now i'm looking into a soundsculpture switchblade(it can mix, route, trim or boost and split the signal at the same time! all that controlled by midi), the possibilities are endless with this.

Hi had the RK too and honestly, the slave out won't be an great issue for w/d/w
You'd save money by bying a line mixer as a CAE stereo dual mixer
it has a direct ouput to redirect the dry signal to PA or effects.
of course I guesse switchblade must be a cool thing.

I need to find someone that has both recto pre / 2:100 !!!

but I don't think the modern mode will be as great as the 3ch DR head.
You know when I was lookin for years for the amp (the one and only that could do the sound I hear in my head...)I had no idea, so when I tried a 3ch DR in a shop with my luke guitar I said WHOAHHH that is THE sound I was lookinf for.
But I have to recognize despite this sound that I love, this amp sucks (beacuse of the fx loop !!! I talked to John Suhr and I said If only you could make an OD100 with CAA clean and Dual recto modern high gain clone on CH3... he said that would be possible ... )

Yes i agree with you, i better like the sound from the head than the preamp version but i tried the slave out in the store, i tought it was good for the wet/dry system, maybe i should try more...

Chris_Lonerock said:
I talked to John Suhr and I said If only you could make an OD100 with CAA clean and Dual recto modern high gain clone on CH3... he said that would be possible ... )
:shock: If one day he makes one for you, tell him to make another one for me! :wink:

Check this out, he engage the modern mode on the 2:100 while he use the CAE! Maybe you could live without the recto pre...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9iWYu7XAqg0

Latest posts

Back