Has my EV blown ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogie Woogie Man

Reaction score
My Mk lll EVL loaded combo is worrying me. Graphic on classic V, bass on 4, master 3, middle-3 and R1 on 7 for a good clean sound. With my 53 Tele in the mid position the bass is breaking up to the point of distortion. I am waiting for new tubes to arrive but I think maybe the EV is suspect.

I had an EV give me trouble at on point. Turned ot there was a tiny little tear in the speaker. Inspect it thoroughly.

Class A or Simul? Didja try turning the bass down? Is the Bass Shift or Deep pulled?

Play the open "E" string. As the note dies out, and is almost gone, is there a "Fiizzzzzzzzh" audible, particularly from the center of the cone? That's a good sign of voice coil rub.
Is there another speaker to A/B it with?

MrMarkIII said:
Play the open "E" string. As the note dies out, and is almost gone, is there a "Fiizzzzzzzzh" audible, particularly from the center of the cone? That's a good sign of voice coil rub.
Yes, there is an audible Fuzzzzz as it dies out, I had hoped that it was a tube problem but obviously not. What does coil rub mean and can it be repaired ?
I don't have another speaker to try but I can borrow one this weekend to try.

Your speaker probably needs to be reconed. It was $85 when I paid to have one reconed ($50 parts $35 labor IIRC)

Boogie Woogie Man said:
MrMarkIII said:
Yes, there is an audible Fuzzzzz as it dies out, I had hoped that it was a tube problem but obviously not. What does coil rub mean and can it be repaired ?
I don't have another speaker to try but I can borrow one this weekend to try.
The voice coil in the middle of the speaker is, well, think of a Slinky toy wrapped around a 3" diameter empty toilet paper roll. This all has to fit into a very narrow circular gap in the magnet structure. If it gets out of round, due to too much heat (playing very loud, or maybe it's just old), the "Slinky" coil will rub against the sides of the gap. Furry sounds result. Not fatal in itself, but it won't get better by itself, either. Time for a re-cone. It should be worth it if it's an original made-for-Boogie EVM 12L, 'specially if it has the Mesa sticker on the back. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back