Has Mesa moved away from the Boogie name?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abe

Reaction score
Where is the Boogie name used? I recently bought a stilleto ace and noticed that the only name on it was Mesa Engineering.

The front of the manual says Mesa/Boogie. When people ask, I say the amp is a Mesa. I've noticed that "Boogie" is only on a few products now.

So my question is Are they all Mesa/Boogies or just Mesa? Since I now own something so great, I want to make sure I refer to it properly.

Thanks

I always liked the saying mesa boogie, like mess of boogie. The boogie came from santana, ... I guess he sneezed on the first.

From my understanding, Boogie was more like a model name. granted it was THE model that put Mesa Engineering on the map, but that first amp was called the Princeton Boogie, with Princeton coming from the Fender Princeton amp that the chassis was based off of.

Just what I can figure I suppose.

I think that as Mesa evolved their image did too. The early amps were "Boogie" tone. The newer amps are not so much so. In order to not confuse people they started making Mesa/Boogie the name. Then when they really diversified they dropped the Boogie. This is just a thought but as far as I know it was always Mesa Engineering. They just adopted Boogie because that is how they were known originally. Maybe someone with some hard facts could enlighten us.

abe said:
Where is the Boogie name used? I recently bought a stilleto ace and noticed that the only name on it was Mesa Engineering.

The front of the manual says Mesa/Boogie. When people ask, I say the amp is a Mesa. I've noticed that "Boogie" is only on a few products now.

So my question is Are they all Mesa/Boogies or just Mesa? Since I now own something so great, I want to make sure I refer to it properly.

Thanks

It happened to bring the harder rockers on board ,back in the early 80's . bands like Nightranger . They liked boogie but didnt think that name on the gear fit their image . It was strictly a marketing thing . The mark series will always sport a Boogie badge though

They use the name Mesa/Baron for their audiophile audience (check the valve packaging). I think they use Mesa Engineering on their modern amps because it's a more appealing sounding name.

funny you bring this up ...
my local dealer just got in this custom one

I like the Boogie better....

BoogieStilletto1.jpg

You also have to understand why "Boogie" was made synonymous with Mesa Engineering. Read through the catalogs about the early beginnings.

Guitarzan said:
You also have to understand why "Boogie" was made synonymous with Mesa Engineering. Read through the catalogs about the early beginnings.

I know....I know oooh oooh oooh

feel like Arnold Horschack.....Mr. Kotter.... ooh ooh ooh

My Express came with a BOOGIE sticker. Not sure what to do with it though. I would like my amp to say Boogie on it somewhere though. Just like how Mesa boogie rolls of the tongue I guess. Sounds unique.

In the early '80s the "Boogie" was a built to order botique amp. Now they are mainstream amps, so maybe the more upscale sounding MESA Engineering is a more professional sounding name?

Just my personal way of describing these amps,

when Im talkin about the vintage or MK series I tend to call them Mesa/Boogie

when Im referring to a rec. I normally call them Mesa's

rickc007 said:
funny you bring this up ...
my local dealer just got in this custom one

I like the Boogie better....

BoogieStilletto1.jpg

Thats the cool thing about the custom options , you can have what ever you desire or what you can afford :)

Mesa, Boogie, Mesa Boogie call it what you want, everyone will know what company you are referring to. Seems like Mesa is on the new amps and Boogie is on the vintage style amps. All I know is I prefer Boogie on my Mark IV rather than Mesa/Boogie that I've seen on older Mark IVs.

Latest posts

Back