Has Formula got more gain than Studio

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never heard a formula, but the studio (which i own) has got so much gain, despite of what some people say: maybe what makes them think so is that its distortion is so smooth. But i would never use both volume and lead drive on 10, even if i had to play death metal.
4Eyes, i'm pretty sure that the studio is based on the MarkIIC preamp section.

The Formula (IMO) is pretty poor for overdrive but the Studio is KILLER and yup, it's based on the Mark IIC preamp section. I VERY rarely run my lead gain above 4 or so :D

ytse_jam: originaly it's called "Studio Caliber Preamp" I look at the scheamtics and this preamp is the same like the preamp section in Calibers. maybe are Calibers based on Mark IIc but they don't sound same like Mark :wink:

Ok, Ok my fault :oops: but it doesn't change anything on the fact that studio has more gain than formula :D

Had my new (new to me) Studio Pre at my amp tech today and replaced a filter and the first stage 12ax7 tube. While it was open, he said it looked like the Mark 2 layout.

My Studio Pre was made in 11/1989. My amp tech is a Boogie expert and a Certified Gold Level Fender repairman. After reading the above statements about the Studio Pre closely related to the Mark 2, I would think everything I heard and read must be true.

I would not know how it sounds compared to a Mark 2 C+ but according to some, that also must be true. I do know the Studio Pre is a great sounding unit (this is my 2nd one and never should of sold the first one). I can run it with my new (also new to me) Mesa 295 power Amp (Also my 2nd one) or the Mesa 50/50. I also like the idea of running different speaker cabinets with these units.

Telelee said:
Had my new (new to me) Studio Pre at my amp tech today and replaced a filter and the first stage 12ax7 tube. While it was open, he said it looked like the Mark 2 layout.

My Studio Pre was made in 11/1989. My amp tech is a Boogie expert and a Certified Gold Level Fender repairman. After reading the above statements about the Studio Pre closely related to the Mark 2, I would think everything I heard and read must be true.

I would not know how it sounds compared to a Mark 2 C+ but according to some, that also must be true. I do know the Studio Pre is a great sounding unit (this is my 2nd one and never should of sold the first one). I can run it with my new (also new to me) Mesa 295 power Amp (Also my 2nd one) or the Mesa 50/50. I also like the idea of running different speaker cabinets with these units.
I own a studio pre too and i'm very happy with it, it's really the tone i was looking for! I've never tried it with a 50/50, but there's a guy here (Nick_cor) who hadn't much luck with this combination. If you're interested, take a look at the most recent thread started by him in this section of the forum.
And... of course, let we know your impressions with your setup!

I haven't tried the Mesa 50/50 power amp yet as I'm waiting to get some good speaker cabinet(s). It's taking me some to build a really good system. I know what I want, so I have to wait until the gear comes on the open market, and then at a good price. However, I'm looking forward to putting them through the paces including home, then band practice and then in a live venue.

I feel the live venue is where the real decisions are made on equipment.
I know its hard to be using new equipment on stage when you should be thinking about your performance and not on equipment, but sometimes you have to do it.

I've also found it takes time to make a decision on a piece of equipment, I don't think you can give it a 10 minute test period and decide (I'm sure some people can) but I prefer to really give the gear a workout, maybe a few sets, maybe a few nights, especially if you know you have a quality piece of gear.

When new, (as most of us know) this Boogie gear was really high dollar (still is) and for good reason, it's built like a tank and sounds great. There are a lot more company's making really excellent amps now than there were in the late 1980's, which helps put 'some' of the earler Boogie gear in reachable dollars.

Another thing to consider is; some of the early Boogie gear is starting to reach their list price again, giving the Boogie gear even more value.

Latest posts

Back