Has anyone made their own effects with build your own clone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disassembled

Reaction score
I need a wah so i bought the BYOC wah complete kit along with a phaser (phase 90 clone).

Has anyone on here gone this route? It seems much cheaper to do this rather than pay for a "boutique" item. All the pedals are true bypass and most are modeled off another pedal.

The wah has internal trim pots (like the clyde??? i think) so it should be easy to get the sound i want.

I will be using this stuff with my newly acquired RKI, Triaxis/290, and Quad so hopefully it sounds good in combination with all or at least 1 amp.

Greg

I've built the byoc delay, envelope filter and two tremolos (one was for a b-day present for a friend) and I'm really happy with the results. I've let a bunch of my friends try my builds out and they are always impressed with the sound quality of these pedals. If you build the delay I would recommend doing the mod for longer delay times because imho the stock delay times just aren't long enough.

Btw if you want to get your pedals powder-coated you can ship them to Pedal Parts Plus and it should cost about 7 dollars with shipping per pedal. This was a great option for me because I live in an apartment and don't have the space to spraypaint anything.

My next build is going to be the wah so I'm interested in how it turns out. I plan on building a phaser, a boost and at least one of the fuzz/distortion pedals.

Anyway... welcome to the diy club!

Cool. I think i might eventually go with their "screamer" kit which is an 808 clone but it also includes parts for the most popular mods (as well as some not so popular mods). If the pedals are as good as people make them out to be then i really don't see why more people aren't buying them(even the pre built pedals are reasonable when you consider the cost of a boutique pedal).

They are also coming out with a flanger kit that is mix of A/DA and an MXR flanger. I have a vintage MXR flanger (in storage) that i thought was great so I will have to see the reviews of this one.

Greg

Did you finish your wah?

I just finished mine last night and I'm kinda bummed - the pot is scratchy. I just bought a new pot for it so I'm going to install it tonight.

So far I've built a tremolo, delay and an envelope filter. They all turned out great but I'm a little disapointed in the wah.

*edit* I installed and new pot and it sounds MUCH better now.

Yeah, welcome to the DIY club! I built a GGG 808 clone. It doesn't come with a whole lot of extra parts, but it does have suggested mods. A little less expensive than BYOC, but still a good quality product.

I have a really good friend who's built all of BYOC's kits at least once - she's built a bunch for her musician friends. She swears by them.

Both BYOC and GGG are doing it right.

I also recently finished the chassis to my first amp build, now I'm working on the cabinet for it. I built a TMB version of the Marshall 18 watter. My next build will be a low wattage version of a Hiwatt DR504.

I'm having a major blast building gear!

I built a Triple Booster from them with a few of my own modifications. It's one of the best pedals I've ever owned. True bypass in all three channels, and strangely, just enough ground so that even in bypass there is less noise in the signal chain than with the pedal completely removed (hint: imperfect guitar cable grounding). To be candid, I'm not really a fan of the linear boost in it. It's a fine example of what a linear boost should be, I just don't like linear boosts.

The clean boost, however, is transparent and LOUD, noticeably louder than other boutique clean boosts I've tried. Running the clean boost up about 70-80%, with my Triple Rec's Channel 2 set to Modern, gain anywhere from 11:00 to 1:00, treble at 2:00, mids at noon to 2:00, bass at noon, with Bold/Tube rectification gets me the most delicious combination tone. It's kind of a cross between mostly a typical Recto tone with a touch of mid-80's high gain modded tone.

You'll notice there's not a lot of overall bass in my tone straight from the amp. That's because not only is the electric guitar an instrument that inherently owns, dominates and shines in the mid frequencies, the bass frequency curve response straight out of the Triple Rec is not to my particular taste. Way too much emphasis on 200 Hz (the infamous "mud" frequency to recordists) and surprisingly little representation at 100-120 Hz, where all the good, percussive bass response is, when not overdone.

The Germanium boost channel of the Triple Booster gives you three options by way of a separate switch: classic treble boost, midrange boost, and fullrange boost. I modified mine such that the treble boost governs the frequencies that my Keeley Time Machine treble boost does, since I prefer that pedal's treble boost tone to the default setting of the Triple Booster. The mid-boost setting is advertised to give you a Brian May kind of tone, and it does get you closer, but there are other factors to Brian's tone so it's by no means spot-on. The full-range boost setting is my least favorite. It treats the entire range of signal to the Germanium diode's unique flavoring. Unfortunately, what produces a beautiful singing quality to higher frequencies also produces a blurred, somewhat muddy tone the lower the frequency that passes through it. IMO, these things really shine as treble boosts and that's how they should be best used.

What I'm working on next in this vein is to design my own pedal which lets you combine, as well as just choose between, the Dallas Rangemaster treble booster tone and the clean boost.

Latest posts

Back