Has anyone ever made a low watt IIC+ clone amp.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revgsmall

Reaction score
In my dreams for now but I would love to see a lower watt, less weight, Mk IIC+ type amp. Perhaps with 6v6's so you can get some more work out of the power tubes. I've got a RI Fender Deluxe with a Eminence Maverick speaker (built in attenuation on the magnet) and with a Barber GT pedal in front of it, it's a pretty good low watt/low volume alternative to my big boy MkII Boogie's.

Does anyone know if any amp maker has tried to create such a beast?

I modified my RI Fender Deluxe Reverb to put in the IIc+ lead circuit. I based my mods on the IIc+ schematic. Translating that into actual circuitry in my amp was challenging due to the constraints of the existing Fender circuitry.

Predictably, when I was done, it didn't sound anything like the IIC+. The differences in the physical layout of the boards (the wire and PCB runs are *a lot* longer inside the Fender compared to the Boogie) and the differences in power supply voltage levels (the Fender is lower by about 100V!) surely have a big effect on making them sound different. Oh, and on the Boogie, it has an effects loop, so they have to knock the signal level way down before sending it out hte loop and then they have to bring it way back up again before going to the power amp. These extra attenuation/recovery stages are missing on the Fender...and, IMHO, have an important effect on the sound...normally you want to avoid that sort of thing, but on the boogie, it ends up smoothing things out a bit.

So, I guess that I'm saying is that the IIC+ is not all about the IIC+ circuit schematic. There is lots of real-world art (or accident, more likely) that went into making the IIC+ sound and respond the way that it does. Since I now have a IIC+, I could probably custom build a circuit to the same schematic, the same physical layout, and the same voltages...and maybe it would be better...but then we'd have a discussion of difference in transformers and component selection. Oy!

Short answer, I would also appreciate a lighter-weight IIC+, but I don't know of one available now nor in the past. Plus, if you're the kind of person who has an ear for the difference between a Mark III and a IIC+ (and based on your previous posts, I think that you are), then I think that you're going to have a hard time finding non-IIC+ that satisfies your IIC+ desire.

Chip

I've often thought with all of the boutique builders out there making lower wattage modded Marshall tones, why has no one gone down this path?

Mark III Madness said:
I've often thought with all of the boutique builders out there making lower wattage modded Marshall tones, why has no one gone down this path?

The IIc+ is a much more complex circuit with a lot of factors affecting the tone. Early Marshall's are simple amps, and really good platforms for modification.

I have yet to get to the big city to try the Mark V: at ten watts or full out. The head looks like a monster to pack around but I'll give it a spin in the near future, as soon as I can get out of Mayberry....

The studio pre-amp is about as close as you can get to C+ sound as anything I have heard. Match it with a 1 - 5 watt power amp and 8 inch speaker and you'll have a light weight set-up that I doubt you'll be able to stop playing for days on end, think Fender champ. I do this, and my friends are very jealous of this set-up because it screams in both rock and metal, just change guitars. I don't own a C+ yet, and I don't have the skills to make a low watt C+ but I have as close as you can get, IMHO. There is something about the quality of components in the older Boogies that makes them my favorites.

Markedman said:
The studio pre-amp is about as close as you can get to C+ sound as anything I have heard. Match it with a 1 - 5 watt power amp and 8 inch speaker and you'll have a light weight set-up that I doubt you'll be able to stop playing for days on end, think Fender champ. I do this, and my friends are very jealous of this set-up because it screams in both rock and metal, just change guitars. I don't own a C+ yet, and I don't have the skills to make a low watt C+ but I have as close as you can get, IMHO. There is something about the quality of components in the older Boogies that makes them my favorites.

If you really want to butter your bread, pair the Studio Pre with a 1st gen Fifty/Fifty, Simul Sat or Mark IV power section. Something very special happens when it pushes that 6L6 Quad circuit. It's hard to quantify, but your heart will sing a new song...

I've also found that it LOVES when you roll tubes through it. I ran the factory 7025 STR 12AX7's and it was great. When I tried some Amperex, Sylvania's and JAN Philips it came alive. The circuit really responds to the tube's individual character and placement really matters.

I'm currently running:
V1. Input..................Sylvania 12AX7 Tall Grey
V2. Rhy....................RCA 12AX7A Short Grey
V3. Lead...................Mesa 7025 STR 12AX7A/ECC83
V4. Main/Rec Out........JAN Philips 12AX7WA Tall Grey
V5. Rev....................JAN Philips 12AT7WC Short Grey

On Feb 12, 2010, at 9:19 AM, "mike barber" <[email protected]> wrote:

I can't wait to hear my Studio Pre through the Lonestar's 10-watt channel! Unfortunately, can't afford to pick my SP until the end of the month. :? She's getting a cap job, getting a reverb that works, and having some knobs replaced.

I seen a video of a guy who build the Mark 2 C+ pre amp.
He lists the schematic and all the materials you'll need.

http://diy-fever.com/amps/mesa-mark-iic-preamp/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VELiL7SExGE&feature=share&list=PLF7F7D3DCD97B8C8A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMLvDUSC-00&feature=share&list=PLF7F7D3DCD97B8C8A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXj6BzaJevc&feature=share&list=PLF7F7D3DCD97B8C8A

Latest posts

Back