Has Anyone Ever Blown A Power Tube During A Show?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishyfishfish

Reaction score
Hey, Just out of curiosity, has any Mesa owners blown a power tube during a performance? If so, what happened to you amp, and what kind of tubes were they.

Most often you can read about the stories here and I would say there are a few very important contributing factors:

1. Old worn tubes (most people are negligant when it comes to replacing tubes but learn very quickly why it is important to replace them every year or two if you gig hard with the amp)

2. Improperly biased tubes (this is a bit rarer in the Mesa family since the stock bias is set a bit cold but some tube vendors can get some fairly hot tubes which can cause problems if you constantly crank your amp)

3. Bad power

4. Bad tubes. This can happen anytime and anywhere. This is part of the world of tube amplification. The unknown factor of what will happen because even though you bought new tubes they can be bad out of the box regardless of brand and regardless of how much testing they went through prior to going into your hands.

The problems associated with a blown power tube can be as little as a fuse blowing but could result in a much more expensive fix depending on the severity of the failure. Mesa doesn't include fuses for the B+, heaters, etc which in turn puts all the stress on individual components (screen resistors are the most common failure).

Basically, regardless of the repair you will have to replace your tubes as well. I say it is safe insurance to replace tubes every couple of years but if you disagree and use your tubes for 10 years without fault then so be it. Personally, I just don't feel I should put that risk on my equipment just to save $60 every couple of years. When you have a failure I just hope you can shell out the $60 for new tubes PLUS the cost of repair if something happened to become damaged.

There are varying views on the topic of tube replacement but in the end it's all up to what you can afford.

Greg

No, have lost a preamp tube or two though. For now, I put my Maverick on top of a 160 watt Peavey bass head. The head is plugged it to the AC mains at the gig. If the Mav goes down I can plug in the speaker and input in less than a minute and use the distortion preset on my pedal widget to complete the set. ALWAYS have a spare amp if you are gigging, it WILL bite you in the *** someday if you don't. I have a spare guitar too, tune it before every set. This is simply professional behaviour.

I have never had a tube go bad at a gig (*knocks on wood*) but I bring spares just in case. I usually gig with my Roadster and sometimes bring my DR as back up but I feel bringing extra tubes and fuses is typically enough of an insurance policy.

If I didn't play gigs, I would probably wait longer between tube changes. Like disassembled said, it's worth the money to change the tubes to avoid those types of problems when playing live. Sure, you can blow a brand new tube, but that is far less likely than blowing on old tube.

Latest posts

Back