Harvester of sorrow Studio.22+ clip!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrmot

Reaction score
Here's a little clip i did this morning.. Studio.22+ fx-send to boss ge-7 to mixer, I used impulse responses for cab sims in Cubase, no mics!
The backing track can be found here, user named Boogie444 made it (thanks man!).

It's not the whole song, only first two minutes or so. Please excuse the sloppy playing, all tracks were recorded in one take/track and i haven't played this song in a LONG time so there are lots of mistakes...

Harvest the sorrow

EDIT: updated the backing track - Harvest The Sorrow edited

That bass in the backing track is aweful. Makes the whole thing sound a little processed. Nice clip though.

Elpelotero said:
you effin' nailed the tone!!!!!!!!

thanks man, glad you like it!

fpoon said:
He didn't nail it but it was still pretty good. Nice job.
thanks! And i agree, i didn't nail it... there should be alot more presence and some less mids... and about 10 more layers of guitars.. :lol:

Russ said:
That bass in the backing track is aweful. Makes the whole thing sound a little processed. Nice clip though.

thanks man... and yes, the backing track isn't exactly sunshine but it serves the purpose :wink:

ytse_jam said:
Cool clip, Mrmot! However I prefer your mic'ed ones!

thanks Mr. Scarpa! :D Well, latelly I don't like how my amp sounds miked, I that it's time to change the speaker.. I've changed all tubes (and played with various tubes in the PI) and the sound that comes out of the speaker has some nasty percussivness (sp?) in the mids... i don't know how to describe it but it doesn't sound so appealing to me... when i have some money i'm gonna buy me (or build by myself) a nice 2*12 cab, it sounds amazing thru a different cab...

Too much gain going on.

So many people try to get the Metallica IIC+ sound but can't seem to get it. The main reason lies in the playing style, most people play it too reserved. Hetfield had a very strong attack.

I re-listened to the clip some more times, and I'm pretty convinced that, as Russ said, with a bass part recorded better the whole clip would sound twice as better.

4Draw said:
Too much gain going on.

So many people try to get the Metallica IIC+ sound but can't seem to get it. The main reason lies in the playing style, most people play it too reserved. Hetfield had a very strong attack.

It is true that Hetfield playing plays a great role in achieving that Metallica tone. EMG pickups, perfect down-strokes and careful/particular pick inclination when hitting the strings are the keys for Hetfield's tone in my opinion.
Mrmot's tone was not so "harsh", I thinkalso because of the direct recording (btw, what pickups are you using, Mrmot?).
I think Afxwinter made some good attempts at getting Metallica's tone with his Mark III.

Yup. I can get a Hetfield tone out of a crate, since I spent so many years emulating him to a T, even the way his pinky moved while galloping and whatnot.

It's taken me years to grow some proper technique now, but I can still go back to the "hetfield" picking when the mood takes me.

Now I can hear the gain is a little high as was already mentioned it makes it sound slightly different but the backing track does sounds much better thus improving the overall clip. I think with a little less gain it will close in on the sound. Right now it sounds a little fat gainwise.

Russ said:
Now I can hear the gain is a little high as was already mentioned it makes it sound slightly different but the backing track does sounds much better thus improving the overall clip. I think with a little less gain it will close in on the sound. Right now it sounds a little fat gainwise.
i agree with everything that you said! :lol: Will use less gain next time! The gain was on 5 and some people say that this amp doesn't have enough gain :roll:
thanks for listening!

Elpelotero said:
much better, but like mentioned too much gain...i think the clean part sounds pretty good man!

thanks man! yeah, this amp has the whole package (if 2 channels is enough for you, for me it is), the cleans really are stellar, warm and silky! :D

Latest posts

Back