Hardwood Mark IV combo's, how can you tell.....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F1-Fanatic

Reaction score
Hardwood Mark IV combo's, how can you tell if it's a factory hardwood enclosure?? Are there any tell-tale signs to look for?

Norman,

I have not seen any company that made an aftermarket MK IV cab.
The reason is the area where the footswitch attaches on the back requires those two semi-circular cutouts and special clips to hold the footswitch to the back of the cabinet. Also, if it has the rubber shock mounts, it is a real Mesa cabinet. I have never heard of any company that has yet to steal or implement the SUS-4 mounting system. It should have a Howard or Globe fan and will have an oil finishied which feels like silk, not sticky or clear and thick like lacquer.

Good Luck,

Ed

Maybe you can ask this guy, who made his?.....from the looks of it -- seems nearly identical to the Mesa Manufactured Combo Cab for a Mark IV

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=9290&highlight=

JAZZGEAR said:
Maybe you can ask this guy, who made his?.....from the looks of it -- seems nearly identical to the Mesa Manufactured Combo Cab for a Mark IV

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=9290&highlight=

Yeah.. it was that post that made me question what to look for.... LOL

If the copies are that good does it really matter if they are genuine or not? I'd know I'd be happy with them
Ian

The work on that cab is astounding. After really concentrating I could only find the footswitch cutouts were a bit deeper than a Boogie. The oil finish, Mesa hardware and the overall quality of that cabinet is basically the finest repro I have seen. Dr. Hardwood does a nice job, but gobs them up with laquer. The guy who made that cab is obviously obsessive about the details.

A quick tip for true Mesa cabs is they write the date and wood type on the lower back panel. It's hard to see, but if you really want to know, look for it.

Thing is it's not the aesthetic that I am as much concerned with as I am with the sound. The cabinet is a big factor in how the tone is colored... Deviate from the intended specs (or species of wood) and you will have a different sound.

As woodworker too, JOEY B. that is some nice work :D

Doesn't cost quite a bit for exotic woods?

I too thinking about building a exotic wood enclosures but with through-dovetail. Throw everyone off :D I have the jig for both.

Boogiebabies said:
Sure, but you can give a master Luthier a whole tree and I bet he could not get 2 guitars to sound the same. It's all a chance and a freak of nature.

2 different things, but you are for the most part right. If it were an acoustic, you would be right on the money there..

JOEY B. said:
Just for the record, I didn't make these cabs. I bought them with the MkIV chassis installed last November.

I think they look awesome... I posted my thread because I was looking at a Mark IV locally and wanted to know how to tell if the cabinet I was looking at was factory or not.

Your cab's look really beautiful!

RR said:
As woodworker too, JOEY B. that is some nice work :D

Doesn't cost quite a bit for exotic woods?

I too thinking about building a exotic wood enclosures but with through-dovetail. Throw everyone off :D I have the jig for both.

Well if you ever want to build a cabinet and you wouldn't mind making 2, I would certainly not be opposed to helping you defray your wood costs by taking one of them off your hands... :p

Chris... 8)

Actually I'm kind of serious...

Hey Chris (San Jose-ian):

Did you ever dropped by Southern Lumber (off of Monterey St.) and take a look at the prices of those exotic imported woods?
4_11_9.gif

Boogiebabies said:
A quick tip for true Mesa cabs is they write the date and wood type on the lower back panel. It's hard to see, but if you really want to know, look for it.

The guy who sold me my MkIII blue stripe said it was mahogany - I was never convinced. Looked inside the back panel last night - Imbuya 11/87. Thanks.

RR said:
Hey Chris (San Jose-ian):

Did you ever dropped by Southern Lumber (off of Monterey St.) and take a look at the prices of those exotic imported woods?
4_11_9.gif
Yes, but it's been awhile. There was a time about 2 years ago when I was seriously looking for hardwood, I found other resources in the valley but I'm not sure now where they were or even if they still exist.

Southern Lumber was about the most expensive place I found though.

Chris

chedgeco said:
... There was a time about 2 years ago when I was seriously looking for hardwood, I found other resources in the valley but I'm not sure now where they were or even if they still exist.

Southern Lumber was about the most expensive place I found though.

Chris
No doubt Southern Lumber is expensive but I meet this billiard cue maker resides in Colorado was there buying all kinds of exotic woods seems as though he can't find else where to get these type of exotic woods.

Chris, e-mail me if you DO find other places in the Valley that has exoticwoods. I think there's a store in Berkeley.

Boogiebabies said:

This is awesome... On the inside or outside of the panel?

Back