Hard Bypass / Loop In Switch Common Usage

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mommysboy

Reaction score
I've looked at the manual, but I'm still not clear on why I would want to do a Hard Bypass?

The Output and Solo knobs don't work when in Hard Bypass. Just looking for a practical example of when I wouldn't want to use Output and Solo.

Thanks

From the manual:

"The OUTPUT control is joined by our SOLO feature that provides an additional master output that you can trigger remotely for a
footswitchable boost when you want to feature a part. These two Front Panel controls are brought on line with the activation of the Effects
Loop. When the Loop is not active, the individual Channel Master controls serve as fi nal output controls. When the Loop is set to HARD
BYPASS, all associated circuitry is removed (for you purists) from the signal path. Since the OUTPUT and SOLO controls are wired as
Loop Returns, at the end of the preamp and Loop signal path, they are defeated when the Loop is bypassed."

Hard bypass removes all the circuitry of the effects loop as well as the Output and Solo pots. This seems to include one preamp tube but I'm not so good at reading the tube charts.

I tend to leave the loop in; the Output knob is very useful in gig settings and the solo knob is great.

Some people say that the tone is better in hard bypass and if you get used to it it's hard to go back to using the loop engaged.

When I discovered the hard by-pass switch on my Lonestar (Version 1) it really was like discovering a hidden gem. I have not had the heart to switch it back to "loop in" as it just sounds so **** good.

Although I nearly shot myself across the room as soon as I switched it, as I forgot that the separate channel master volumes where up at about 7 and hit a big ol G chord!!!

I think the tone has a lot more clarity. However, if you do use the solo boost you may miss it.

I have got around it by using an Xotic RC booster as my second channel and fundamentally using channel 2 as the solo boost.

mommysboy said:
I know why I'd want it on. I'm curious why I'd want to turn it off.

Many boutique-heads say that the shorter the signal path the better. Makes sense to me. Hard bypass takes a lot out of the signal chain.

What would be really nice would be a way to get the Master Volume out of the chain.

mommysboy said:
I've looked at the manual, but I'm still not clear on why I would want to do a Hard Bypass?

The Output and Solo knobs don't work when in Hard Bypass. Just looking for a practical example of when I wouldn't want to use Output and Solo.

Thanks
In practice, can or do you hear a difference with the bypass in or out? and if you do, which do you like better, if you don't then use the feature, it's very handy.

If you do not have any pedals in the loop, then I would run it on bypass, if you have pedals, then DUH, you would use the loop. I think the loop can muddy the signal a bit if you turn it on and don't use it. The cleans get a bit dirtier with the loop on.

Latest posts

Back