GZ34 Rectifier Tubes in Road King

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyStrat

Reaction score
Anybody try the GZ34's in the Road King? I did & she blows the fuse. Bob at Eurotubes recommended using a fuse a 1/2 amp larger than called for by Mesa. I'm a little skeptical about doing this.

Man let me know what happens, or what you find out, I was getting ready to order a pair of gz34's for my roadking series II.

nathan28 said:
...I was getting ready to order a pair of gz34's for my roadking series II.

Interesting...I kinda figured from your other thread they were going in the Triple. IMO kinda defeats the purpose of the recto tracking or whatever it is on the RK. If it were me, I think I would leave the 5U4's, and set my heavy rhythm for all 6 tubes+diode rec, and my lead for 100W (or even 50) with the vol turned up more and tube rec. But thats just me.

To HappyStrat...betcha one of those GZ's is bad causing the fuse to pop. You shouldnt have to use a bigger fuse.

I put them in my roadster, no probls so far (knock on wood) and its been about a month with daily play. I would go with the hypothesis one of them is bad.

I had them in one of my Tremoverbs..... I liked them for the distortion, it made it a little tighter sounding - but the cleans felt a little stiffer. My other guitar player liked it better and didn't understand why I liked the "sag" of the old Rectifier tubes (then again, he plays Solid State amps). :shock:

Don't bother changing out the rectifier tubes. It's not a part of the tone generating stage anyway. Put the original tubes back in and spend your money on some kick butt preamp tubes instead. You also don't want to start messing with fuses and adding different fuses than what Mesa gave you. Bob always seems to have a "workaround" for when their tubes cause unexpected results in your Mesa. :?

NoGlassNoClass I orginally was going to buy some gz34's for my triple rec, then I traded my triple rec in for a Roadking II, and it still has the same differences, silicone diode on it has great tightness but i dont like the tone. tubes on awesome tone, less tightness. Im just wondering if the gz34's will give me the best of both

Mike Bendinelli told me last week that they would make my Tremoverb sound Stiffer.

I tried them because they were in the Tremoverb i bought, a fuse blew, so Bendinelli told me one of the is shrot-cutting

Back to what Mesa says, i have had it inventing with "too smart" dudes selling the "best tubes ever" that , at least in my experience, don't last as long as they should.

Back to Mesas, if i can't tweak an amp, i should not deserve it.

HappyStrat said:
Bob at Eurotubes recommended using a fuse a 1/2 amp larger than called for by Mesa. I'm a little skeptical about doing this.

This is exactly why I can't take anything Bob says seriously. He's constantly giving bad advice that can damage peoples amps. Just remember he's not an amp tech.

I've been running GZ-34s in my dual recto for the last 5 months atleast, and no problem here at all...it could have been a bad tube....

jackieTHEjokeman said:
Don't bother changing out the rectifier tubes. It's not a part of the tone generating stage anyway. Put the original tubes back in and spend your money on some kick butt preamp tubes instead. You also don't want to start messing with fuses and adding different fuses than what Mesa gave you. Bob always seems to have a "workaround" for when their tubes cause unexpected results in your Mesa. :?

Guys, thanx for the advice. I'm gonna go with Jackie & put the 5U4's back in. I just did a complete retube with all JJ's and the amp sounds completely awesome. Why did I try the GZ34's? For the same stupid obsession we all have in search of the end holy grail tone. I'm not gonna risk destroying my baby so I'm just gonna chill & wipe this idea out of my head. For more tonal colors, I think I'm gonna invest in a few pedals. If I kill my King, I get chills just thinkin' about breakin' the news to the wife. It took a lot of dirty dog beggin' to get the RK & I really don't wanna go there again.

Back