GZ34/5AR4 Rectifier tubes in DR Solo Head?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

53crew

Reaction score
Mesa tech support tells me that the GZ34 rectifier can not substitute the 5U4 rectifier in the DR Solo Head because the "amp was not designed for it". I looked up the specs of each, and the GZ34 is actually a more "conservative" tube to use, so I don't get it.

GZ34
Max V = 450
Max I = 250 mA
Max C = 60 uF

5U4
Max V = 450
Max I = 225 mA
Max C = 32 uF

The GZ34 is a higher rated tube, giving a higher voltage, but just short of what the silicon diodes provide. According to the specs, it's an even "safer" choice than running 5U4's.

I don't imagine anyone here has had any problems using JJ GZ34's? I'm just perplexed as to why Mesa says you can't use it.

-Steve

This was another question that I asked Rich Longacre... His reply was that Randall got a better deal on 5U4's than GZ34's. They both do the same thing, with the same input voltage. Use them if you want.

I am not sure why they would say you can't use the GZ34's unless it is like them recommending you not use anything but Mesa stock tubes also. I run the GZ34's along with quite a few people on these boards with my DR and have no problems, and they clear things up a bit as well.

I've had 'em in my Triple for about 3 years now with no problems. The GZ34/5AR4 has a faster rise time than the 5U4, tightening up the amps response a bit. If you like the sag that comes from using the 5U4's you probably wont like the GZ34s. If you like the tightness of the silicon diodes, but find the amp a bit stiff or harsh, you will probably love them.

Back