Guitars that hold their value

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reg

Reaction score
Hi. Things are slightly different over here in the UK as we pay quite a premium for US guitars but I'd be interested for your views on which guitars hold their value the most (and which ones are the worst!).
I have sold a couple of (newish) Les Pauls recently, both times actually making a profit. I can't understand why people would pay more than they need to (although I was obviously glad they did!)
However, I am trying to sell a lovely Fender Jeff Beck and it's proving really difficult.

I have recently bought a great Blade RH-4 classic but just know I would have to take a big hit if I ever came to sell.
What have been your experiences, good or bad?

Peavey and Ibanez seem to both be pretty bad for their resale value. I think Gibson's popularity really helps their resale a TON. Ernie Ball's are said to have not so good resale value, but it's not horrible IMO. I paid $1500 a piece for my JPs and if I were to sell them (both in mint condition) I would see about $1100 for each. I guess buying new is always a blunder as you will never get what you paid for it new... Well, RARELY get what you paid for it new at least... As for my PRS, I paid $1200 shipped for it and it goes for $1895 new...

The only guitars that come close to holding their value are limited edition/custom guitars, and that depends on the builder. Vintage guitars can go up in value, if you want to hold onto them for 20-30+ years. Other than that guitars are like cars, once they're off the lot, they go down in price. That's why I try to only buy used anymore when possible.

ToneAddictJon said:
The only guitars that come close to holding their value are limited edition/custom guitars, and that depends on the builder. Vintage guitars can go up in value, if you want to hold onto them for 20-30+ years. Other than that guitars are like cars, once they're off the lot, they go down in price. That's why I try to only buy used anymore when possible.

Absolutly. I bought my '73 Paul used in '84 for $450 bucks. Last year I was offered $2000 on the spot at a gig. If it was mint I could get even more with a "real" sale.

BTW- I'll Never sell her. I had her re-fretted 4 years ago and it's been like a brand new guitar, maybe better. I'm not really a guitar collector, I'm a player :D

Dom

I know my pv wolfgang is worth about 2x what i paid 5 years ago, but the canadian $ gone up so much that i'd only break even...damnit!

Any guitar that you pay less than what you can sell it for has gone up in value. So simple it is almost too obvious to mention. I never buy new, always look for bargains. They are out there, people need money and will take the hit to do the new deal. I also repair guitars, this makes an injured instrument a good target. Never buy a Gibson with a broken headstock unless you just want to play it. People won't pay much for them even if the repair is perfectly sound. They freak out about the "glue robbing the tone" or something. That would be overlooking the fact that the neck is glued on, the fingerboard is glued on etc. Overall, Martin and Gibson guitars have held their value reliably but only certain models. Silly to worry about if you just want a player. In that case the guitars that DON'T hold their value are the way to go. Just don't be the person the guitar loses it's value on (the first purchaser). Great guitars for "bang for the buck" include some Peavey models, G&L guitars. other less well known American and Canadian brands. Good luck!

It's so much speculation on this topic but obvious choices for guitars that will probably tend to hold value and/or appreciate are the classics: late '50's Les Pauls, pre-CBS Strats and Teles (particularly custom-color items) and pre-war Martins. From more recent guitars, I think you'd probably have to look at very limited production items from more well-known names. Perhaps PRS Dragons and Private Stock guitars, for instance.

It is interesting to note that San Dimas Charvels and older Jacksons are starting up in value after they were so derided in the '90's during the grunge days. I don't think every old Charvel or Jackson are going to be a solid investment, but some of the very early guitars are starting to gain a following and are seeing their prices rise.

I'm also curious to see what boutique amps make an impact in the vintage market, like Trainwrecks and Dumbles have.

Guitars that are associated with iconic players will almost always hold their value or appreciate. Obviously there are exceptions, but this is pretty consistent across the board.

How are you selling these Reg?? Ebay?? I bought a USA Fender Tele American Deluxe for £750 new. It retails for £1100, i put it on ebay for 800, not even a sniff, its perfect! I also have a USA Gibson Explorer Custom Shop that i bought £799, retails £1600, couldnt shift. Although it turns out its one of only 15 worldwide so i was rather glad in the end!

"How are you selling these Reg?? Ebay?? I bought a USA Fender Tele American Deluxe for £750 new. It retails for £1100, i put it on ebay for 800, not even a sniff, its perfect! I also have a USA Gibson Explorer Custom Shop that i bought £799, retails £1600, couldnt shift. Although it turns out its one of only 15 worldwide so i was rather glad in the end!"

Sold both on Ebay. Someone who deals in a lot of Gibsons contacted me months ago and gave some good advice.
Obviously you research the market and work out a fair price. The important thing is not to panic and rush into reducing the price if it doesn't sell first time round. There is almost certainly someone out there who wants your guitar, it's just that they might not have been looking at that particular point in time.
I put a lovely Les Paul on there and started it at £1500. Had a few silly e-mails offering silly money but no one bid on it.
I put it back on at £1499 and ended up with nearly £400 more than that!

The thing with Fenders is that there are a lot of people on Ebay (UK) who seem to be selling these as a living (although I'm sure the tax man / Customs & Excise don't know!)
They are undercutting the shops by quite a bit so it will be difficult to get a good price.

Rickenbackers generally appreciate. The factory currently has an approximate 450 day backlog. I have never lost a penny buying and selling one of these even after using it a few years. Usually I can sell for more than I paid for them.

Apparently my Hamer Triple Threat has increased $2000 since I bought it last year.

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetails.aspx?Item=1772016

I got mine for $2500 and it can be seen here:

http://wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/hamer/gatc_554002/gatc_554002.html

I figured that since it was a limited run the value might increase but $4500 asking is HUGE!

devilrob - They are fantastic looking guitars. I looked at their website and they certainly seem to be producing great quality guitars.
Can only seem to get the entry level Hamers over here which is a real shame.
Can't see people going nuts for them here as their profile is low key and some would rather pay way over the odds for a Gibson that looks as if it left the factory after a chimp in the QC dept had given it the thumbs up!

IMO There's many factors to consider: timing is a big one for starters!
In my humble experience I have only ever got money back close to what I paid on a few guitars. A Gibson 335, a US Fender James Burton signature Black Paisley and the other was a stock US mid 90's strat that had sperzels and a wilkinson trem. All found buyers who were really keen on that particular model.
I have lost out on just about every other guitar I tried to sell since! I believe if it's your in the UK , a standard ( no added bits! ) US made Gibson or Fender will hold it's value long term. Stay away away from anything 80's imo, heavy metal or Rock things in fluorecscent camouflage and go for good straight guitars.
I too funnily enough have a 2006 RH4 Classic which I am going to attempt to shift, If I get £600 I would be amazed!
One last comment.....If at all possible never sell it unless you need the cash or you hate the axe in question! You will always regret it!
Cheers
GA 8)

Generally speaking, hand crafted guitars tend to hold more value than mass produced ones. this why lp customs do well in this respect while "new" fenders (post '69) do not so well. That being said, I have found some kick *** deals on 80's fenders, like my clapton strat, which cost me 200 bucks out the door, and just needed a new jack.

Same goes with amps, which is why mesa does so well on the resale end.

Only classic guitars tend to pack a profit.

Latest posts

Back