Guitarmageddon w/the Mark III!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phyrexia

Reaction score
Hung out with some friends tonight. There were a variety of amps:

-Silvertone 1484
-Silvertone 1482
-Mesa Mark III
-Silverface Bassman (RCA Blackplates!)
-Bogner XTC 101B

The speakers available were:

-Marshall 4x12 w/G12-75s
-my combo with teh EV 12L Classic
-custom 2x10 w/jensens

And we had a bunch of guit-fiddles:

-my LP, my Strat
-Gibson '58 V.O.S., 196x Firebird, Squier '62 Jagmaster
-'57 LP Custom Reissue, another Jagmaster, a 'Tele Custom

Started out with the silvertone and the other non-MV stuff. I owned the 1484 (albeit for a short while) but apparently something was wrong with it and now it's fixed. It sounded great. My Les Paul is really dark compared to the '58 (which is amazing).

So I let the amp warm up for half an hour or more. As soon as I turned the amp on, we heard an awful buzz. After freaking out for a short while, we determined it was a bad preamp tube (my two week old Ruby...) (By the way, does anybody have a preamp tube chart for a III? There are three 12ax7s in a line and then one closer to the power tubes. I figured the one standing alone was the phase inverter (it was also the location of the bad tube).

We ran the Bogner at half power. I was kinda surprised at how well the III kept up. Although the XTC is like a mighty dinosaur. I love it. It's undeniably a monster. I've played this particular amp before but I spent more time with the controls today. Very flexible. Good low gain sounds too.

It is true what they say though. A boogie combo certainly can keep up with a 4x12. Who needs simul class. Or an EQ for that matter. I fucked around with my fish'n'chips for a bit and then left it off. I don't really remember my volume. It was pretty loud though. 3 or 4 on the master. Ran the EV in the combo with 1 side of the 4x12, too. That was cool.

:)

Back