Guitar Pricing

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other guitarist in my band was at GIT when John was there. He didnt drop out because he was an artist....he couldnt keep up so he dropped out.

One word that should NEVER be used to describe John Frusciante is 'prodigy'

I would accept the word 'savant' as an accurate description.

so you're talking close to 20 years ago. that was another time, and another place. are you the same person today that YOU were that long ago? so he couldn't keep up? pfff, i couldn't care less about the whole GIT thing. as far as i can tell, GIT put out technicians, not songwriters. impressive to listen to for about 2 minutes, then it's like- o.k., this guy's just masturbating now. i always get a good laugh when these types of players try to write a "song". total cheese whiz. and just because i'm more from a songwriting, than shredding school, don't think i'm all about playing open chords at the bottom of the neck. look out in the audience at any technical player/band concert- it's all a bunch of impressionable young boys and men. it's comical. i was channel surfing the other day and came across a dream theater concert. i was embarrassed for them as the songs were SO pretentious and cheesy. BTW- so your co-guitarist did better than john at GIT? that's great, i see it's really helped his career. i would have heard his music where?

O.K., i've realized that the topic here has drifted. i'm signing off of this link. by y'all.

thinskin57 said:
so you're talking close to 20 years ago. that was another time, and another place. are you the same person today that YOU were that long ago? so he couldn't keep up? pfff, i couldn't care less about the whole GIT thing. as far as i can tell, GIT put out technicians, not songwriters. impressive to listen to for about 2 minutes, then it's like- o.k., this guy's just masturbating now. i always get a good laugh when these types of players try to write a "song". total cheese whiz. and just because i'm more from a songwriting, than shredding school, don't think i'm all about playing open chords at the bottom of the neck. look out in the audience at any technical player/band concert- it's all a bunch of impressionable young boys and men. it's comical. i was channel surfing the other day and came across a dream theater concert. i was embarrassed for them as the songs were SO pretentious and cheesy. BTW- so your co-guitarist did better than john at GIT? that's great, i see it's really helped his career. i would have heard his music where?

Dream Theater...yuck. Petrucci isnt a GIT Grad

My other guitarist is now a Geophysicist during the week that owns a pretty successful firm. He chose different path and made music a hobby, and did I and as do many people.

If you don't care about the GIT thing and it was '20 years ago anyway' you shouldn't have brought it up.

fair enough. but do you know for fact that they REALLY get offered that much money (up to a mil)? i would've thoght they'd just get a boatload of guitars, but what do i know- i've never been endorsed.

Money is only part of the issue. I know for a fact that Hamer will not give their guitars away to anyone. Even some of their biggest endorsers have to pay for their instruments. They are way to small a company to be able to afford to give guitars away. Obviously, the big guys will get a discount, but none of them receive free guitars.

'ello rocky. if you look back at the our posts, you'll notice that YOU were the one who got the whole GIT topic going, not me. john petrucci didn't go there, but he still comes from that same "school" of thought/playing IMO. anyway, this is stupid. don't we both have better things to do than get sucked in to conversations as to who is better than who, or who is overrated? truce? didn't mean to insult your co-guitarist.

regarding vai's decision to go w/ibanez- i remember reading in more than one article that his builder/friend joe dispagni (who built a bunch of guitars for him around the time of eat 'em and smile) went and got a job with ibanez. i'm sure that was a factor for him as well.

thinskin57 said:
regarding vai's decision to go w/ibanez- i remember reading in more than one article that his builder/friend joe dispagni (who built a bunch of guitars for him around the time of eat 'em and smile) went and got a job with ibanez. i'm sure that was a factor for him as well.

But Joe didnt last long at Ibanez if memory serves. Vai continued to use the guitars because it was the right business decision. I'm not a Vai fan but he is a smart guy....he made the right choice in signing with Ibanez.

thinskin57 said:
'ello rocky. if you look back at the our posts, you'll notice that YOU were the one who got the whole GIT topic going, not me. john petrucci didn't go there, but he still comes from that same "school" of thought/playing IMO. anyway, this is stupid. don't we both have better things to do than get sucked in to conversations as to who is better than who, or who is overrated? truce? didn't mean to insult your co-guitarist.

Actually the 'shredder prodigy' line was what raised the topic of John's roots....and those roots include his time at GIT. But that's fine, not reallyimportant.

I agree that Petrucci is a guy that cam be, at times, overly technical in his playing.

"shredder prodigy" ...that's what i get for quoting a guitar mag. i agree now, "savant" is a better term.

regarding vai- i think he learned a lot about making good business decisions from Zappa. i.e.- never sell your rights, start your own label if you want creative freedom, and so on.

Latest posts

Back