Guitar Center Blowing Out Stiletto Deuce / Tridents

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guitarz_18 said:
Now this really pisses me off. I paid over $1600 plus tax for a head that is now selling new for half the price? I think Mesa should refund half of my money! :evil:

Did anyone see this on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Mesa-Boogie-Stiletto-Deuce-Head-100-W-Dual-Rec_W0QQitemZ7393044656QQcategoryZ43374QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What is this guy talking about? Is there some tubes you can put in
and get a different tone or what? Anyone know?

Everything depreciates and drops in value, and people understand that and assume that risk when they buy new items. Do you think Dell should refund your money because the PC you bought less than a year ago can now be bought for 30% less? Or how about a car dealership that slashes the prices of their 2005 models to make room for the 2006 models. Do you think they should refund you some money because you bought the 2005 model 6 months earlier? If that's the way the market worked, no one would stay in business.

For this guy and his E-Bay auctions...he's full of it. The Stiletto, regardless of what tubes you put in it, will never even sound close to a Recto. Nor is that the reason they are blowing them out. They're simply making room for the Series II models.

Silverwulf said:
Guitarz_18 said:
Now this really pisses me off. I paid over $1600 plus tax for a head that is now selling new for half the price? I think Mesa should refund half of my money! :evil:

Did anyone see this on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Mesa-Boogie-Stiletto-Deuce-Head-100-W-Dual-Rec_W0QQitemZ7393044656QQcategoryZ43374QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What is this guy talking about? Is there some tubes you can put in
and get a different tone or what? Anyone know?

Everything depreciates and drops in value, and people understand that and assume that risk when they buy new items. Do you think Dell should refund your money because the PC you bought less than a year ago can now be bought for 30% less? Or how about a car dealership that slashes the prices of their 2005 models to make room for the 2006 models. Do you think they should refund you some money because you bought the 2005 model 6 months earlier? If that's the way the market worked, no one would stay in business.

For this guy and his E-Bay auctions...he's full of it. The Stiletto, regardless of what tubes you put in it, will never even sound close to a Recto. Nor is that the reason they are blowing them out. They're simply making room for the Series II models.

you have a good argument, except that a new Duel Recto still costs you
over $1600 new, so where is the deprecation in that and how did you know my computer was a Dell? No, I never imagined that the amp I
bought less than a year ago would go for almost half of that price NEW
a year later. My Duel Recto still costs what it costs NEW.

I guess the lesson is never buy a "new" product, only go with what is proven to hold value. Well, that doesn't work for me, I'm a Carvin guitar
player, so I know about the "used" value, but still for me and every Stiletto owner to lose 50% is crazy.

I started out with a Lonestar but quickly realized that I'm not a classic rock player, so I traded it in on a brand new Mesa tone machine, but
now I just feel like I was taken. Afterall the Lonestar does hold its value.
Lesson learned! :cry:

Guitarz_18 said:
you have a good argument, except that a new Duel Recto still costs youover $1600 new, so where is the deprecation in that and how did you know my computer was a Dell? No, I never imagined that the amp I bought less than a year ago would go for almost half of that price NEW
a year later. My Duel Recto still costs what it costs NEW.

I guess the lesson is never buy a "new" product, only go with what is proven to hold value. Well, that doesn't work for me, I'm a Carvin guitar
player, so I know about the "used" value, but still for me and every Stiletto owner to lose 50% is crazy.

It's all market driven...supply and demand. The demand wasn't there for the Stiletto Series I because a lot of people expected it to sound more like the Series II is supposed to, so they didn't sell. Because they didn't sell as well as hoped, they changed the product and the originals went on clearance. The Dual Recto still costs as much because they still fly off the shelves and have virtually been THE sound of rock for the last 15 years.

And you're not losing money. Once all of these Series I Stiletto's are sold and the Series II is released, I have no doubt that you'll be able to sell it on E-Bay or elsewhere for a good $1100 - $1200 just like the Series II amps will probably go for used. So, you're not losing any money at all...you just didn't have the option to buy it cheaper when you purchased yours.

And Dell was just an example...I had no idea what kind of computer you used... 8)

The success of series 2 can only bring new interest to series 1, whether or not its better then series 2. People conceptions of the amp is what is driving sales and tastes are subjective.

These things have been flying off the shelves since the price drop. I wonder if these Series I will end up attaining some sort of mythical status in a few years to come, much like the Recto series did?

Silverwulf said:
These things have been flying off the shelves since the price drop. I wonder if these Series I will end up attaining some sort of mythical status in a few years to come, much like the Recto series did?

That's what I was thinking. And I think yes. :)

man...630 kilometers later, and i have my stilleto deuce. went to kirkland, and then they send me to tacoma. bruutall drive. seattle traffic blows.

thoughts tonight...
-thing is heavy! but not too heavy. i think i'll be able to manage.
-clean tone is very dark, which i love.
-there is some flubbyness in the 2nd channel, but i easily managed to dial it out, and in place recieved a brilliant highgain rhythm tone. this is what marshalls dsl andn tsl series SHOULD sound like.
-very much NOT a dual rec, or like any of the rest of the family. amp sounds best with mids at 12:00+

havent been able to get the volume past 9:00, so i really have no idea what this thing REALLY sounds like, but i'm jamming tomorrow so i shall let you know what it's like crankin. the reason i think i like it so much as i'm a marshall guy through and through, owned 3 of them, and this is like coming home for me. sounds more marshally then the jcm900 sitting next to it! (6l6 tubes...sooo...)

the best bit? the clean tone is good enough that i'm not really missing the blue angel yet. we shall see! plus with 100 watts of headroom, i won't have to worry about breakup.

excellent service all around from guitar center in kirkland, and they gave me a pretty good trade in on the blue angel. the guy helping me was very nice, and went out of his way to help me out. guitar center in tacoma was a little disorganized. took longer to pick the amp up with a receipt then it did for the guys at kirkland to track one down and trade my amp in.

anyway, long shpeal. im tired. if you want a nice blue angel 4x10 the folks at guitarcenter in kirkland have one waiting for you!

Nice buy! I'm actually picking up a Stiletto Duece on Saturday. I agree with a lot of what you said. I use EMG's in most all of my guitars, and I like hitting the front end with an overdrive pedal as a clean boost going in. I use the "Tite Gain" setting on the second channel, and it's great. Very tight and articulate. I also agree about the mids needing to be high. The best tones I've heard have been with the mids at around 1:00 on the dial. Keep the treble and presence low, and push the bass to get a good thump, but back off before it starts muddying up the place. Get that volume up around 10 - 11 o'clock and you'll be rolling... 8)

also...

this is by far the ugliest head I have EVER seen. period. marshall mode four? stilleto is uglier. dog **** on a metal box? stilleto is uglier. why on earth would a guitarist want a plastic dinosaur for a guitar amplifier. i am deffinilty going to look into changing that embossed leather out.

agreed on your choice of settings. really low treble setting, use the presece control to compesnate. high mids, medium bass. this amp is tight as **** and very articulate. a great classic rock amp.

Pickups seem to make a HUGE diff. My set neck Charvel 750xl with Rio Grande's sounds completely different than my Tone Zone-loaded Jackson strat.

Lots o sounds in there...

A Duece costs $4,600 Australian dollars over here (US$3,450)
A Road King is US$6,150
An Mark IV is US$3,900
A Dual Recto is US$3,450

You lucky, lucky people,...

Back