5 les pauls, guitar center, and my brain and finger hurts

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo

Reaction score
5 les pauls, guitar center, and my brain and finger hurts

- i split my middle left fingertip open, wailin' away on les pauls during lunch hour. :D
the kid next to me, had a schecter, and into a rectumfrier, was going "URK--EEEE--URK--CHUGACHUGACHUGA-URK--EEEE--URK".
it was starting to make my bowel move.
hehehe

so i sat and tuned up, slowly, because all the guitars i tried were pitifully out of tune....

then i dialed in a super clean tone, and played an entire verse and chorus of 'Dixie'.
LOL
he was so annoyed.
LOL again.......

then i dialed in the 'boutique OD' setting, with a long delay, and just started wailin' pure doo doo for about 90 solid seconds.
he left.

;)

i had a recording session set up for friday night, and now i can't even press a guitar string down....
how annoying....

i wont be able to play for a week, with this really deep split right across the callous. bummer.
oh well, i can mix!

Lunch time at Guitar Center

as i walked into the maw that is the mouth of the cave called 'guitar center', i was promptly greeted by the side of a kid's head saying 'what up?'

'surely', i thought. i mean, shirley. punk kid, he's busy texting somebody, i'm not sure why guitar center bothers, other than to catch people 'leaving' without paying.

i nod, and walk immediately to the back wall, where i spot my quarry... the ever elusive perfect-for-me les paul.

i stand, and i stand, and i stand, all the while making eye contact with anyone who works there... but alas, everyone is busy.
at least, they LOOK busy.... scurrying around, carrying this, picking up that, but i swear, it seemed to me that they weren't accomplishing anything..

it's almost as if, they all agreed to constantly look busy, but not really do anything. for example, the first guy i saw, pick up 3 guitar chords that were bundled together, start to carry them to the other side of the room, turned back around, and set them right back where they had been. the next guy i spotted, plugged in 3 guitar amps for a display, tested them off/on, left, came back, and unplugged them and left them there. these are the amps they send you to when you want to try out a guitar. another guy picked up a guitar on a stand, moved it over to the other side of the gaggle of semi-cheap guitars, left, came back, and moved it right back to where it had been.

i swear, i think he went to the other side of the store to see how it looked from that viewpoint, decided he didn't like it, and then moved it back.

LOL

right behind him, another young dude comes up and picks up that guitar, and another, carries it over to the nearest marshall valvestate, plugs it in for half a minute, then props the guitar against the amp (with no stand) and leaves.
LOL

finally, i get someone to help me....of course, it took me walking behind the counter and helping myself first.
;)

i tell him i'm interested in a les paul with a 60's slim neck... either a 1960 reissue, or a classic with slim neck, or standard with slim neck. there are 5 available, that range in price from $1899 to $3400. i can't afford even the cheapest one, but figure i need to play some new ones to see where i stand if i decide to buy one on credit, or start looking for a good used one.

see, i have it in my mind that i need a les paul. don't know why, exactly, i think it's a obsessive/compulsive disorder i occassionally catch, brought about by catalogs that magically appear in my mailbox, uninvited, from time to time.

once upon a time, i set out to find 'the perfect paul'. i limited myself to under $2000, and spent 6 months playing every les paul i could get my hands on, over a 5 state area, in dozens of cities. this was about 1984. granted, the pauls made in this time period were not the highest quality, and i did remind myself to play used ones as well. but it turns out, i never found one i truely loved. there was always.... something. not quite right.

i've played dozens along the years since, and it seems that only the highest end models seem 'just right'.

it's mostly in the acoustic low end response, and the electronics, i think.....

it's funny, but of all the les pauls i played today, my favorite was the cheapest one... a 1960's reissue gold top.

and through a high gain amp setting, it was super crunchy...
till you go to the low E string...
then, it gets all mushy.
and no matter where i set the amp settings, it's still mushy.

now, if i set the amp up for a nice jazz tone, the mush disappears... you can hear the clarity of the tone, it's mahagony-solid, but as soon as i start adding some drive to it, the clarity gets lost.

and Gibson seems to understand this, because they make the pickups pretty hot and crunchy (this guitar had those cheaper ceramic pickups in it... the burstbuckers i like, but not these 496R ceramic humbuckers in the front and 500T at the bridge).

at high gain, the highs and mids are really bright, almost brittle, but the low end is just mush.

i tried a black custom, a faded sunburst standard, an all natural, all maple standard with a 3-piece maple neck ( i absolutely hated this one ), a wine les paul supreme, and the gold top. they all had this 'low end mush syndrom' with the high gain setting. but the goldtop played the best, had the best overall tone.. tho the much more expensive supreme had the sweetest high end sound... and of course, it had the alnico pickups. but it also had the 2nd worst mushy bottom.

now, i know all les pauls don't sound like this..... this mush issue. listen to adam jones with tool. he uses the silverburst paul, thru several crunchy amps, and his low end is taut. taut, baby. but it's a combination of the right pickups AND the bridge and wood. and though i could gig with the cheap gold top, it didn't pass my 'love' test.

on the other hand, with a 2 hour long equipment test this past saturday night, at my luthier's house, i instantly warmed up to his Paul Reed Smith custom 22.
taut low end, baby.

LOL
and now that they're making a single cut in a gibson scale length, i may actually consider that instead.

though, i've always, always wanted a Gibson gold top paul.

moral of the story?
My 23 year old carvin still rules.

Try some superglue on that finger, it works pretty good, especially just to get through the studio.

That is how I feel everytime I walk into GC!! I know a couple guys that work there that I go to now, that actually know how to shutup and give me what I ask for because I have cash for them (they're somewhat like hookers in this way).
I've done the same thing with LP's and played everyone in the GC by me, and the only one that did it for me was a studio, that still didn't rock my world. Then I picked up a newer explorer, and that blew the LP's away as far as quality and sound went, but the playability wasn't as good as it could of been. I think they'd sell more if they would set them up properly (this goes for Gibson and GC).

Best read of the week so far, great story.

Unless you get a used LP I'd go for the PRS SC...those things are amazing and PRS quality is amazing to me. I'd take one over a newer Gibby any day.

-AJH

After I bought my Hamer pretty much all of my Les Paul GAS disappeared. I say that because deep down inside I think I'll always want one. That said, you're all koa DC200 kicks a lot of ase.

I agree. There have been multiple times when I have been turned off by a guitar at GC just because it was set up so poorly. I remember picking up a Les Paul Custom that I was so excited to play and it had dead spots in multiple places on the neck. A few weeks ago I did play an 80's explorer at GC and it had a great feel and sound.

Also, the last time I was at GC they had a first version single rectifier there. It was well used and they were selling it for $1099. I got mine in 2000 for that much brand new. So I plugged it into the speaker cab and turned it on and let it warm up. Something was way wrong with it. I could turn the master volumes up and the output all the way and it would barely get to an audible volume. So not only were they overcharging for a used amp that sells for like $800 on ebay but it had something wrong (could have just been a power tube problem though).

Definitely good thread. There a bunch of you on here that I really respect your tastes and your opinions. I enjoy reading what you have to say.

yep, great responses from all...

also....
thanks on the super glue headsup!!

as long as i don't take a leak before it dries...

LOL

its' funny, but most of my favorite players, have at one time or another, switched over to bolt on type neck jobs.....

so, maybe there's a certain quality there, for clarity....

now, with my carvin, one of the main reasons i've stuck with it thru the years, is that the clarity in the low end is wonderful, with chords, even at high gain lead settings.

it's all koa, a one piece body, but has a set neck just like a paul.

kinda, the best of both worlds.

the PRS i played, the custom 22, was the closest thing i've played yet, that sounded like the carvin in terms of that chordal clarity.....
but it still was a bit thicker and midrangy sounding, than the carvin.
but still, way closer than the paul.

i could solo all day on the paul..... so i think it still has superb solo qualities.....
but i play rhythm, a lot more than i solo.
hm.......

interesting comments from everybody.
i like hearing the other opinions on this....

dc200close.jpg

here's a shot of the dc200.

not a single slab, but a 2-piece.
single piece neck, w/ebony fingerboard.

the bridge is a duncan custom custom.

I just recently put a Custom Custom in the bridge of my DC127 and an Alnico II Pro in the neck. They sound great together and the split sounds are really really good.

Back